5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

After reading this thread, it’s easy to understand both points of view. As a compromise, instead of the item just disappearing from the universe, the “Purchase” button could just be disabled from the item instead. That way previous buyers can still contact the author for support, no new buyers will be able to purchase until the bug(s) are fixed, and most importantly, no negative SEO impact.

Then the author could write a message at the top of the item’s page saying, “We’ve temporarily taken the item down for sale until important updates are made. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you’d like to be notified when the updates are ready and the item is available for sale again, click here.”

4669 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

After reading this thread, it’s easy to understand both points of view. As a compromise, instead of the item just disappearing from the universe, the “Purchase” button could just be disabled from the item instead. That way previous buyers can still contact the author for support, no new buyers will be able to purchase until the bug(s) are fixed, and most importantly, no negative SEO impact. Then the author could write a message at the top of the item’s page saying, “We’ve temporarily taken the item down for sale until important updates are made. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you’d like to be notified when the updates are ready and the item is available for sale again, click here.”

+1 … making a file “dissapear” for whatever reason just doesn’t look good, a simple message on the file page would be more useful to previous buyers needing support or to potential new customers so they can check back when the file has been updated. Blank pages makes people freak out or move swiftly along – which just does way too much damage to the authors reputation and the longevity of future sales, especially if it wasn’t a fair reason to disable it in the first place.

Not sure what happened but Envato use to be authors and content first, but over time it’s become customers and profit first while protecting their own interests. In this day and age, people understand not every software you buy will be perfect without a bug or two, and updates are normal and to be expected, so no need to shut down the whole file, just let customers know what’s happening ;)

6025 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

After reading this thread, it’s easy to understand both points of view. As a compromise, instead of the item just disappearing from the universe, the “Purchase” button could just be disabled from the item instead. That way previous buyers can still contact the author for support, no new buyers will be able to purchase until the bug(s) are fixed, and most importantly, no negative SEO impact.

+1

173 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
MsTrends says

Soft-Disabling and then removing an item (without prior notice) just because it has a bug or two, which is reported by the customer, has many consequences as mentioned by the fellow authors.

If it is envato’s policy, many items here are vulnerable to be soft-disabled, especially newly published themes, because at this initial stage they will have some bugs, mostly.

And if based on such bugs you disable author’s file, authors will feel insecurity anyway. Also because this policy can be misused by any rival theme author to takedown some author’s file, for temporary period, causing him loss the competition.

As a solution:

1: Envato can fix a time frame (24-48 hrs may be) within which if item with respective fix is not submitted (subject to prior notice), it will be soft-disabled.

2: Upon disabling, again, item page should NOT be removed from the market. It has many consequences. Disabling purchase button is enough.

2296 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Creattive says

After reading this thread, it’s easy to understand both points of view. As a compromise, instead of the item just disappearing from the universe, the “Purchase” button could just be disabled from the item instead. That way previous buyers can still contact the author for support, no new buyers will be able to purchase until the bug(s) are fixed, and most importantly, no negative SEO impact. Then the author could write a message at the top of the item’s page saying, “We’ve temporarily taken the item down for sale until important updates are made. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you’d like to be notified when the updates are ready and the item is available for sale again, click here.”

I have posted the exact same thing 3 pages ago…

The “item not found” page is really a shame! as explains nothing just frustrates everyone.

That’s correct. How about leaving the item-page just like it is and just grey out the purchase button? Then write “author is currently fixing some bugs, item is available for purchase in short time”.

This way, the item still has his exposure and people can watch the preview, probably bookmark the item to buy it later.
5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

I have posted the exact same thing 3 pages ago…

My bad, the credit is yours :)

173 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+2 more
MsTrends says

The thing is that if we have confirmed an item as malfunctioning or misleading, and decide to contact the author (instead of disabling it), then, potential new customers will be buying a product that we know is not 100% working or as described, which is not legal. That is the main reason right there, to continue to sell an item we know to have certain issues, as we can not expect customers to purchase something and wait for an update.

I’m not sure why envato is legally bound to soft-disable the item IMMEDIATELY when any bug is reported to them.

If there are any legal concerns, when you confirm any bug in some item you can put a notice on item’s description stating something like that …

‘There are a few known bugs in this item, for detail click here …’

In this way, any sale while the notice is there, will correspond to item’s description.

96 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+6 more
DOTonPAPER says

I’d love to clarify! And hey community! :)

The thing is that if we have confirmed an item as malfunctioning or misleading, and decide to contact the author (instead of disabling it), then, potential new customers will be buying a product that we know is not 100% working or as described, which is not legal. That is the main reason right there, to continue to sell an item we know to have certain issues, as we can not expect customers to purchase something and wait for an update.

I, of course, understand the point on losing potential business, but if an issue is confirmed by our staff, as an author, do you really want more customers purchasing the item (and potentially getting upset over it) if it has a known problem?

This is certainly an interesting case though.
I had one of my items disabled once, and you enabled without me doing any modifications because there was no bug. There are a lot of things that can go wrong, and they are not necessarily bugs, they are particular cases. I just spent a few hours last night debugging such a problem that was caused by an error on our buyer’s server … we could not reproduce the problem on our own development server.

I think the main issue here is that Envato doesn’t do anything in protecting authors from abusive situations … like disabling items for so called bugs or from fake DMCA notices.

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

There’s no such a thing as bug free software. If that’s the goal, envato might as well soft disable the whole library for the time being.

That’s what updates are for: to fix bugs. I never heard about microsoft or adobe stop selling windows/photoshop because “omg we found a bug!”. If a theme has critical bugs, for instance once installed a fatal error prevents the user from logging in the backend, it should be immediately disabled.

But that’s not the case most of the times, items get soft disabled for a layout issue on the X mobile device with Y SO version, documentation, unchecked weird inputs (one of our themes got soft disabled because a buyer used a 40mb image in ico format). I’m not saying such bugs shouldn’t not be fixed but a warning mail and a couple of days grace period would be way better than the current policy.

4669 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

one of our themes got soft disabled because a buyer used a 40mb image in ico format.

haha that is quite funny :D well this is exactly the issue, like one of my customers using a 3rd party streaming service which did not work in my file – I can’t be held responsible for the client attempting to implement 3rd party services which I have not tested or intended on supporting in the first place.

But what is clear is the lack of technical know how on the part of the person who is making the call to soft disable files. The scenario is most likely a customer complains along the lines of, “I’m trying to update the icon file but it just won’t upload or work”, or “I’m trying to add my own music but it won’t function correctly” Then Envato support person looks at what the customer has done, see’s the file is now broken trying to implement something which seems standard like changing icons or music which the file states it supports, and then will make the call to disable the file and contact the author.

But it only becomes clear to the author what the issue is after being disabled and in some cases it’s not actually the authors fault at all. With some files having 1000’s of customers, you can’t just do something like this when one buyer has an apparent bug without contacting the author first so they can look at issue themselves and give Envato support their feedback – just in case this is not actually a global bug warranting a soft-disable, but a user specific bug from incorrect implementation.

by
by
by
by
by
by