354 posts
  • Helped improve Envato sites by detecting a bug
  • Pulled off some great moustache to raise money or awareness for Movember Australia
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
Gewora says

Thanks for this thread. Now i know that i am not the only one who is feeling like that.

Envato soft disabled the 3 best selling items from us about 3 weeks ago. All for the same reason (that reason was nothing that would have required that soft disabling immediately). A warning would have been more than enought, then we would have had the time to work everything out.

It took 2 weeks of writing with the support and trying to find out what went wrong. After that time, and answers from their support staff which did not answer the questions at all, we gave up.

It is really sad how Envato treats their authors right now. Disabling items without a warning is just a bad manner. It is 1 click for you to disable the item, but it will most likely cause huge problems for the author.

2114 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
fifty_tons says

Customers paying good money for a premium item should never, ever receive something that doesn’t work or contains bugs. - Christian

While I agree with most of the things you said, the above statement doesn’t make too much sense. Most games I ever played and most software I ever used have had bugs, there’s no such thing as a perfect software. That’s what updates are for.

I didn’t really follow the soft disable threads, so my reply isn’t based on that, it’s simply based on the statement above.

270 posts Envato Market Support
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Provided great feedback to improve the user experience on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
MhW Envato team says

Show me one item on all of ThemeForest or CodeCanyon that had zero bugs reported by buyers. That cannot be a valid reason for disabling without giving the author reasonable time to respond.

Soft-Disabling and then removing an item (without prior notice) just because it has a bug or two, which is reported by the customer, has many consequences as mentioned by the fellow authors. If it is envato’s policy, many items here are vulnerable to be soft-disabled, especially newly published themes, because at this initial stage they will have some bugs, mostly.

But what is clear is the lack of technical know how on the part of the person who is making the call to soft disable files. The scenario is most likely a customer complains along the lines of, “I’m trying to update the icon file but it just won’t upload or work”, or “I’m trying to add my own music but it won’t function correctly” Then Envato support person looks at what the customer has done, see’s the file is now broken trying to implement something which seems standard like changing icons or music which the file states it supports, and then will make the call to disable the file and contact the author.

Hi again guys,

As per this reply, any item that’s reported as broken / faulty will only ever be disabled after our Review Team have completed their assessment. Envato Support make a decision as to whether or not to send the ticket to the review team, although we aren’t involved in the Review Team’s decision at all.

Actually, probably 80% of “Hey, I bought an item and feature x isn’t working…help?” tickets are where we refer customers back to the Author anyway. The idea that we disable first, then ask questions, couldn’t be further from the truth (with the exception of copyright issues).

The underlying thing to remember is that it’s absolutely unacceptable for a customer to pay good money for a premium item that doesn’t work out of the box. If you’re an Author and your Theme contains (verified) bugs, you ought not to be surprised that it’s temporarily removed.

I do agree though that the “Item has gone” page is far from ideal for Soft-Disabled items that are able to come back. Some kind of “Item xyz will be back soon!” page with a link to Author’s profile or an embedded email form would probably go a long way to softening the blow.

- Christian

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

The underlying thing to remember is that it’s absolutely unacceptable for a customer to pay good money for a premium item that doesn’t work out of the box. If you’re an Author and your Theme contains (verified) bugs, you ought not to be surprised that it’s temporarily removed.
You make no distinction between bugs and that’s the main problem with this “disable first / contact author after” policy. There have even been authors whose items got soft disabled and enabled again without them providing any change to the item itself.

Happened to us as well long time ago, except in that case we were contacted by envato before soft disabling our item: we provided explanation (no code) which was enough for support. End of the story, no disabled item and everybody was happy.

A theme having a slight layout issue on android 2.x using opera browser isn’t the same as one breaking the WordPress backend in my book so they shouldn’t be handled the same way. Most often than not, such fixes involves a 5mins css oneliner but being disabled for 2-3 days because review team is busy or item was disabled on friday could end up in big/unnecessary money loss for its author.
4662 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

I think we all agree that bugs are unacceptable in a premium file, but what many of us are talking about are not bugs created by author error but bugs created from poor implementation by customers which exceed the limits of the application, for example as bitfade mentioned, someone uploading a 40mb icon file will probably cause unexpected results – this is a user specific bug from incorrect implementation, 99% of customers would not have this issue since they’d upload a normal sized icon file.. so why should this be grounds to soft-disable a file? Envato’s shoot first, ask questions later policy is just unprofessional, and taking a file down for unfair reasons can cause a lot of damage.

4323 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

@Enabled If a blatant copy is found on the marketplaces, yes, I agree with the instant disabling. However, I’m mostly reffering to the soft-disabling of items, items that have been sold for months without anyone saying anything. I’m really grateful to the support team, but in this matter it’s a matter of minutes, once you submit an update you can’t just wait 24 hours for the item to get back online. Sometimes it’s crucial to get the item back as soon as possible and you’d need 2 persons to help you with this matter: 1) a support team member(by using twitter I got pretty fast replies, but without it, it goes quite slow) and 2) a reviewer. It takes hours, if lucky, to get both of them on your case and put back online. It’s too much. There are solutions posted here that could make the process easier. :(

I completly understand and have been there myself a couple of times! It would be nice for example for Elite Authors, for example, to have instant updates, they get approved right away, and are reviewed later on, just to make sure nothing is out of place.

by
by
by
by
by
by