7 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
SpaceheadConcepts says

Hi all,

The WordPress marketplace is flooded with responsive themes, but I was wondering if any devs include responsive images in their theme? For example, the featured image on a blog post is actually smaller in file size and resolution on a mobile than the desktop?

169 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
mikedidthis says

Urm.. Yep! :)

Not WordPress, but Tumblr. I server the lowest resolution images first (250px wide) and replace the image with a higher resolution image using client side jQuery. (No server side solution for Tumblr :) )

I do the calculation based on the anchor wrapping the image, rather than the screen resolution.

Example: Anchor is 500px wide, the 250px image gets replaced with a 500px image. (http://mikedidthis-focus.tumblr.com/tagged/photo/chrono)

738 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in United States
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Jar says

Urm.. Yep! :)

Not WordPress, but Tumblr. I server the lowest resolution images first (250px wide) and replace the image with a higher resolution image using client side jQuery. (No server side solution for Tumblr :) )

I do the calculation based on the anchor wrapping the image, rather than the screen resolution.

Example: Anchor is 500px wide, the 250px image gets replaced with a 500px image. (http://mikedidthis-focus.tumblr.com/tagged/photo/chrono)

That’s pretty nifty!

169 posts
+2 more
mikedidthis says

That’s pretty nifty!

Thanks, I try to work mobile first with all my themes, as I think most sell due to them being responsive.

I am going to share the script incase any users can improve it, my jQuery skills are ‘patchy’ to say the least :)

SpaceheadConcepts
SpaceheadConcepts Recent Posts Threads Started
7 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
SpaceheadConcepts says

Nice! How is the performance of the site though? I would imagine there would be a small performance hit on desktops because of the double loading?

I wrote a plugin for wordpress called Responsage. It’s all server side so it runs pretty awesome. You can check it out an example on the plugin site http://responsagewordpressplugin.com/demo/

Be sure to send your link when you share the code!

169 posts
+2 more
mikedidthis says

Very nice indeed. I wish I could do server side stuff :(

The performance is pretty good. As the lower resolution image is already loaded, users mainly see the image becoming more clear, nothing more.

Will post the gist when I tidy it up a little. Its tumblr specific, for each image uploaded, tumblr offers a 250/400/500/1280px url :)

by
by
by
by
by
by