• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

...He said to me, “It doesn’t matter what the customer wants. We’re going to tell them what they want.” I was very young at the time, only 3 years out of college, but knew that approach wasn’t going to work. A year later he was gone and I had his job. :)

I think i’ve read that exact sentence somewhere, said by Steve Jobs.

:P
Ignore your customers at your own peril. I don’t believe that Apple doesn’t make use of customer feedback.

Most of the time the best features of my products are the result of ideas I got from a customer comment. Often it is something general but can spark a new idea.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

...He said to me, “It doesn’t matter what the customer wants. We’re going to tell them what they want.” I was very young at the time, only 3 years out of college, but knew that approach wasn’t going to work. A year later he was gone and I had his job. :)

haha, this is what happens when people are obsessed too much about quotes from famous people. Getting motivation in random manner can become enemy of self employment career. :D

3650 posts Community Moderator
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

Entrepreneurship is, at least now, definitely not something I desire ;)

2004 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says

Ignore your customers at your own peril. I don’t believe that Apple doesn’t make use of customer feedback. Most of the time the best features of my products are the result of ideas I got from a customer comment. Often it is something general but can spark a new idea.

Opinions are based on sales – Apple released the Macbook Air, people responded in sales, and they got rid of the white Macbook. They released the retina mbp, and people will again decide what they like best.

426 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
SimpleSites4U says

I guess it depends of what your main focus is

I only make stuff that I need to solve issues when it comes to creating simplified solutions for problems I encounter when creating websites for me, my clients and my boss, usually in cases where i cant find the functionality I want for the implementation is poor or overly complex

I only offer stuff I hope will help out someone else looking to do something like iv done, like my latest plugin (which should be live here tomorrow) was created as I needed a drop and go portfolio system I could easily use on any pre-existing theme without messing about with page templates etc, it was only once I had made it did I decide someone else may find it useful, so I uploaded it here.

Any sales will be a funky brucie bonus as (for now) im creating stuff for me and sharing the end results.

I imagine there are those who cruise the Marketplaces looking for easy targets which can be improved on and sold here but thats not for me.

991 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

It’s a bit of a generalization but certainly fits some developers.
well it fits almost all devs i know and i’m putting myself in that list too

:D

201 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
reubenchng says

Well I think in this modern age where any tom, dick and harry can pick up a computer, install a software and start creating some artistic works at a relatively cheap price, we’ll have to put on two hats. One as the artistic person and another as a business person.

It makes sense, if you do not have a clue about business at all you’re going to lose out among the fast growing community. So learn both and balance between them. Then hire people to work for you later on :D

1657 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Europe
+2 more
flashedge says

I have to disagree. Being Entrepreneur has far more with Marketing to do than with Design and Development. Being able to build your own business doesn’t mean you have the ability to sell and create cash flows.

The fact we can earn some decent money here on these marketplaces is that it’s targeted to other guys who do the same job as ours, more or less. We aren’t selling products to the mass, but one step behind.

Look Apple, they are marketing monsters. Their products aren’t top notch technically speaking, but the average Joe doesn’t care what’s under the hood. They like the shiny case and it just works. Those products are made to amaze and let the owner feel special.

This said, you can create an awesome product. But if you can’t present it, create the desire for it and most of all promote it, then you’ve done half the job.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

The fact we can earn some decent money here on these marketplaces is that it’s targeted to other guys who do the same job as ours, more or less. We aren’t selling products to the mass, but one step behind.

You have a point but there is no “absolute customer” on any environment. On any industry, there going to be few virtual layers between production and consumer and success rate depends on how deep the connection achieved. Even Apple has limitations due to in-between layers (like patent, different legal policies between countries, contract between vendors and more).

We can always have 2 cases:
- Designer/dev directly works with customer (with/without knowing end customer needs).
- Designer/dev works through marketing medium (with/without knowing end customer needs).

Both has chance to fail if there is no enough depth of connection / understanding acheived.

900 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

the ability to spend insane amount of time on things nobody will care about.

that’s me lol

by
by
by
by
by
by