729 posts All things are possible, for one who believes.
  • Elite Author
  • Canada
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
TimMcMorris says

I am now able to do music production full time because of the exposure AudioJungle has provided. This year I am making a serious commitment to my music on AJ as well, but not 100%. I don’t think I will ever be 100% on AudioJungle, but I think that is more of a music related thing – there are just too many avenues for music to pigeon hole myself on AJ, especially as they don’t (yet) have a hand in the consumer music market, and I am very interested there. If I was a web developer my answer may be different because of the returns vs running your own company.

More then anything however, it’s the valuable exposure that Envato has provided that has led to a HUGE amount of freelance opportunities… that, in comparrison, makes the royalties from AJ look like pennies….however I am VERY greatful for the sales here – and I am staying around for the long haul.

In a very short amount of time my expectations have been greatly surpassed, however that is not to say that I haven’t worked very hard on the music / the promotion of the marketplaces, because I have, especially as I am exclusive for the tracks that are up for sale.

Percentage wise, I would say AJ Money is 15% of the total I make for music production right now – but that is increasing monthly, so I believe the end of this year will look very different!

If you (speaking generally to anyone) were going to to make the switch to full time I would:

a.) Be honest with yourself – Do you have the experience and skill to draw a livable income from your marketplace(s)?

b.) Do you have a proven track record with sales consistency?

c.) Is it wise for you to ‘take the plunge’ now, or to first spend some time / money to brush up your skills before taking away whatever safety net you have right now?

I am curious about the advice others time have myself :)

3903 posts After Effects Templates
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+4 more
miseld says

1) 12-16h on marketplace :)

2) No

3) 70%

4) Work,work,work,work, sleep, work, work, work :D
:stress: Where’s the FUN ?

Every 15th in the month :)

1383 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Serbia
wpCanyonThemes says

1) 12-16h on marketplace :)

2) No

3) 70%

4) Work,work,work,work, sleep, work, work, work :D
:stress: Where’s the FUN ?
Every 15th in the month :)

lol :)

I’m basically the same. Work work work work sleep work work work, the only fun i have is during weekends when i work, work, go to a club with friends, sometimes bangy bangy, sleep, work work.

3903 posts After Effects Templates
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
miseld says

Some advices for beginners:

Truth about freelancing is if you stop everything goes down. There is a lot of work for a serious freelancer. I personally do everything myself. From templates, graphics, music, maintaining my website, developing strategies, the Internet is huge and should reach to each individual to more efficient and flexible manner.

If you ask how successful I was for 9 months:

“You’ll be the owner of a shiny new silver paw after selling just $ 924 more”

“Over 650 sales…”

“56 on Top videohive authors” (i was 526 when i was starting)

“92 referrals / 47 deposits” – And driving every month few new members

“1 featured item”

“118 followers @videohive”

“700 followers on Twitter”- You must use ir to reach audience also other social networks and many many other websites/tools

One great thing i learn from other “OLDER AUTHORS ” is to play by rules.

We have great community, marketplace, buyers, staff and we need to keep this alive as much we can.

Just remember the world around us is cruel and this opportunity is your ticket for better life, use it and NEVER STOP !

Envato is my country, Videohive is my house and this forum is my playground! ;)

3085 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
Raincutter says

Just remember the world around us is cruel and this opportunity is your ticket for better life, use it and NEVER STOP !

+1000000.

I never did a day job, just freelancing. I’m now preparing this year to go full time for Envato as I’ve almost finished my studies.

40 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
ukwebsolution says

Im just a buyer, but atm im working on some projects which i’ll stick on here :)

Its extremly hard to be a full time job from just doing this even some of the best people on here ive seen have made a max of 500 sales, please correct me if you are or have found somone with more.

the highest amount earned is 10,000 – 100,000 thats what ive seen and hes been on here for 2 years…

i think the envato marketplace is still growing and if you want to make money as a fulltime job you need to:

1) Help build the community

2) Be across all platforms of social media that the marketplace supports

3) Have a blog and promote it with some banners/logos for the marketplace and try and make that BIG

4) BE GOOD … Make some good designs and work towards your skill be subscribed to youtube channels which are in your area and update reguarly, subscribe to blogs which are in your specific area and evolve your skill and expand your business…

5) Dont start off just on envato, do some freelance work on the side as you’ll see not much coming straight away but once you’ve built up a large catalogue of products then you’ll be able to live off it just making 5 or so extra projects a month…

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
JamiGibbs says

I have a lot of admiration for the folks who are able to do Envato full time.

I’m curious though how their local economy comes into play here. I mean, if an author is living in a country where the average national income is $300 per month then, yeah, you can easily make a living doing the full time Envato author thing. But other more economically advanced nations in Europe, North America, Australia, etc., have a much higher income level to satisfy before they can call themselves “full timers”. It’s not exactly a level playing field.

145 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
bjornredemption says

I have a lot of admiration for the folks who are able to do Envato full time. I’m curious though how their local economy comes into play here. I mean, if an author is living in a country where the average national income is $300 per month then, yeah, you can easily make a living doing the full time Envato author thing. But other more economically advanced nations in Europe, North America, Australia, etc., have a much higher income level to satisfy before they can call themselves “full timers”. It’s not exactly a level playing field.

ditto on that – I recently moved to Australia where my envato earnings don’t compare to my day job. Before i moved however it was roughly the same.

1120 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
SonicCube says

I have a lot of admiration for the folks who are able to do Envato full time. I’m curious though how their local economy comes into play here. I mean, if an author is living in a country where the average national income is $300 per month then, yeah, you can easily make a living doing the full time Envato author thing. But other more economically advanced nations in Europe, North America, Australia, etc., have a much higher income level to satisfy before they can call themselves “full timers”. It’s not exactly a level playing field.

Same here in Central Europe. Basic expenses ( flat, insurance, health care etc. ) per month are around 2500$, food etc. not paid. I dont want to complain, i know we have a “good” live standard here in generall, it’s just impossible to live from envato money, unless i get a plutonium paw within a year :)

990 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
purethemes says

Same here in Central Europe. Basic expenses ( flat, insurance, health care etc. ) per month are around 2500$, food etc. not paid. I dont want to complain, i know we have a “good” live standard here in generall, it’s just impossible to live from envato money, unless i get a plutonium paw within a year :)

Where are you from? In Poland average salary is around 900$ and it’s not so hard to earn 900$ from Envato monthly (at least at ThemeForest). It’s is possible to do more if you do it 8h a day (or 14h :D) For 2500$ you could have really good live standard here. And imagine you live in less developed country, doing the same stuff as others. Possibilities today are endless in our business, working from any place you want is awesome :)

by
by
by
by
by
by