1182 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
campolar says

Do you hate people who have no idea what real web designing is, but call themselves web designers just because they’ve got a certificate of web designing from some famous institute down the road?

I come across these a lot, and i just wanna slap them and tell them to go learn what designing is really about…

Why i’m mad? Well, as for this time, tonight i was at a nearby cafe and it got a new sign board. The sign board was still just as poor as the previous one, so as i knew the owner a bit, i asked him where does he get these printed and designed? He said he doesn’t know where they are printed someone else does it for him, but he designs them himself. I got shocked, and told him to learn to do better… and then he starts boasting that he did a “course of web designing” :S

He’s a young fellow, he got the cafe from his father…

People like these destroy the image of the real web designers…

~ campolar

58 posts
  • Located in Canada
BulkyCranium says

They are destroying their own branding and imaging too.

I remember back in the late 80’s / early 90’s when Desktop publishing really started to become accessible. It was the same thing then. Local Business schools were offering 2 week courses in DTP . I remember meeting people who graduated from them. They would use every font they owned on a poster, & filled up every inch of white space – ‘cause printing wasn’t cheap and they had to get there money’s worth.

“Oh! Your a designer too!” They would say. I almost felt like tackling them whenever I heard that phrase.

1182 posts
campolar says
They are destroying their own branding and imaging too.

Not just their own… Our’s too…

You see like you said, you would tackle people who’d say they are a designer… The same happens with us, if a “real good and successful designer” says i’m a designer, others start tackling him thinking your just another guy with a diploma framed and hanged on his room wall!

118 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+2 more
LegitDesigns says

Not only are their designs bad but they either charge way to much for the design AND GET PAID FOR IT ! OR! they charge way to low and ruin the reputation and market for web designers.

Design is a form of art, not everyone is made for it. Either you can do it, or you cant.

58 posts
  • Located in Canada
BulkyCranium says
You see like you said, you would tackle people who’d say they are a designer…

Ahh, what I meant by that was I spent three years studying computer sciences & Graphic Design. It really got under my skin when somebody asked what I did for a living – I’d tell them that I am a Graphic Designer for an advertising agency. Then they (with their 2 week Desktop publishing diploma) would say “Oh, your a designer, too. SO AM I !”

They were not designers, with their ugly little piece of paper (their Diploma) hanging on the wall.

But it all works out in the end. There was a huge wave of desktop publishers in the early days. I see less of them these days. I think with the learning curve involved, that hopefully decent designers (both web and print) will all rise to the top and the rest will get bored & leave.

1182 posts
campolar says

Quite a point Legit Forms, the worst point is when they cost less. Some people don’t look at what quality their getting, they just go for who is cheaper…

177 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
conceptcoding says

I agree with what you have to say.

I won’t call myself a designer, even if the scripts I’m working on have a smattering of CSS . I can’t design in the sense of design which you are talking about. I don’t have an eye for it, I can’t see it.

I’m a logical guy. I find programming, and the debugging of, easy. I’m a developer, not a designer, someone who prefers ‘maths’ over ‘art’.

960 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

i know 2 or 3 people like that, one guy i know uses Moonfruit (the GUI web designing platform) to design websites for his clients.

The thing is, he makes a fairly good living form it – you know the self-employed, mates etc. and at £400 a pop to him, it’s not bad. He had a bit of a shock when I quotd him £25 an hour, and thats pretty cheap!

There are some AWESOME designers here at Themeforest, I’m always in awe. Sometimes its not what you know, it’s who you know.

180 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
SuperMario290 says

Yeah I guess so, but I can’t hate them in the sense or as much because I don’t have the skill that most others have as I’m still working my way into it (aged 16 :D). But yeah, I know some people that still use tables in their designs, don’t really get the aesthetic feel of what a website should be like, and they just don’t get what they’re doing.

1182 posts
campolar says
Yeah I guess so, but I can’t hate them in the sense or as much because I don’t have the skill that most others have as I’m still working my way into it (aged 16 :D). But yeah, I know some people that still use tables in their designs, don’t really get the aesthetic feel of what a website should be like, and they just don’t get what they’re doing.

Aged 16 is enough to be a pro…

hav you heard of this designer: http://abduzeedo.com/interview-young-artist-saad-moosajee ?

He’s aged 15 (maybe 16 now)

by
by
by
by
by
by