• Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

Gonna go stick with the big ol’ blue box as well.

My dad sent me this link regarding Google Drive and switching from Dropbox: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/24/2954960/google-drive-dropbox-skydrive-sugarsync-cloud-storage-competition

My general conclusion is that while they have a nice web interface regarding opening files even when you don’t have the required software (PSD’s etc) this would hardly be useful for everyday use (although perhaps on the university in rare situations), they don’t provide anything else that’s really new under the sun, and the space I’ve accumulated at Dropbox so far is more than their measly 5GB ;)

Oh and the TOS argument as well, although I’m still looking for a userfriendly crypto-solution for Dropbox too. I’m a bit sceptical ever since it turned out the files wern’t as encrypted as they said they were, so for now my private files are in an AES -dmg. ;) Perhaps it’s time to write an add-on..

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Just a note as I brought the T&C to this posts attention – I forgot to state that those T&C’s are for ALL google services.. so you know that gmail account you have…. ;)

nuff said.

Jonathan

3671 posts Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more

Just a note as I brought the T&C to this posts attention – I forgot to state that those T&C’s are for ALL google services.. so you know that gmail account you have…. ;)

nuff said.

Jonathan

I don’t host my entire file system in my Gmail account, though ;)

56 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
libra-online says

i don’t get it guys…

why doesn’t everyone just use a USB pendrive? oO i use it, no dropbox, no google drive nothing. just a plain old 16GB pendrive :)

i do plan to buy an external 1TB HDD next week though.

somehow i don’t care what those TOS say, i cannot trust anything that i put on the net.

114 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Lithuania
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
deree says

Terms are just stupid… I’ll stay with dropbox.. And i cant upload files from galaxy tab 10.1 only images, not the files from hard disk of samsung

• Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more

why doesn’t everyone just use a USB pendrive? oO i use it, no dropbox, no google drive nothing. just a plain old 16GB pendrive :)

These days you’re more likely to find a computer with an internet connection at the uni than one with an accessible / functional USB port. The cloud servers are way less likely to die of old age / a laundry accident as well – when using a USB drive, you’re bound to have to make a backup. Besides, it’s much more than transfering files: many of these services allow you to view your files on your smartphone (pdf books etc are great to have in your pocket) and offer very easy ways of sharing files.

The bottom line is always the same, though; use what works best for you personally, in your individual and unique situation. Be aware of alternatives out there, though, as they might just solve a problem you didn’t even realise you had yet :P

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

Really? Do you have some link where they states so?
Scaring!!

• Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more

Really? Do you have some link where they states so?
Scaring!!

Google recently launched an awareness campaign when they changed the ToS. Have a look at the blog post – they give a comprehensive overview :)

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

One thing to keep in mind is that this isn’t really out of the norm for Google. Most of their business is made up by obtaining information about their users so that they can better serve ads and other things. So while it’s a bit shady, I don’t think it’s too crazy. I’m much more fond of Dropbox and intend to keep using it as my bread & butter cloud storage solution. But having Drive closely integrated into Gmail and all of the other services I used every day will make it useful for certain situations. It’s just a matter of being smart about the files you host with them.

by
by
by
by
by
by