I hated Joomla! but not anymore, and this thread has 2 years old. :P

1732 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

I think to say that Joomla sucks or rocks, or I hate Joomla or I love Joomla….... all this is strictly related to your capabilities and your level of coding and years of experience.

It goes like this: you can easily start with just about any CMS out there, as they are all friendly in some manner. However, I can take a minute to write up some tips:

Historic: my starting point was OsCommerce, then I got to know Joomla! one of the most popular CMS (recommended to me by a person who heard about it, and never worked with it!!) then I got to work with Drupal for some documentation purpose. Then, for the same purpose I got to work with WordPress. This is how I got to know them all, along with more others (phpBB3, TikiWiki, MediaENGINE, Magento, Prestashop).

Workflow: after working with all, I can say that Joomla is indeed a monster (also phpBB3), once you got used to it, you cannot handle the ridiculously simple Wordpress Administration and extremely minimal Drupal structure. Now I am about to move to WordPress for a longer time and I think it would be quite easy.

Experience: if you are a coder, you will hate the stupidly simple to understand code in Joomla with very beautiful code and this is a great start, but you will love WordPress for the compact code and even more love the Drupal structures and flexible coding. Drupal founder thinks Joomla rocks for some reason (maybe because more and more Joomla users shift to Drupal at a certain point).

Specialization: WordPress is the absolute dream come true for Designers, Joomla is then second and Drupal is most difficult. As coding skill with graphic skill goes around, the more advanced and structured code is, the less graphic skill is used. This is how minimal design came into place I think.

As general point of view: it depends on all to say that you like to work with it or not. I like to work, does not matter what I can work with.

284 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Shellbot says

/me sneaks in looking shifty…

Drupal ftw!

/me runs away and hides in a bush

221 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+2 more
h2theme says

I like it! I think it is extremely powerful and customizable

273 posts JoomFX.com
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+4 more
joomfx says

Danny has explained it perfectly in the above comment – it really depends on your needs and your knowledge.

One can say “I really hate Joomla” but this is most probably because of the level of understanding the software and how it works.

From my point of view Joomla is an incredible piece of software. You can build literally all kind of websites with it. The Web if full of Joomla Extensions ( Components, Module and Plugins) that can bring amazing features/functionality to your Joomla website.

I cannot compare Joomla and Wordpress because I do not have enough experience with Wordpress. But I will never say “I hate Wordpress” or “Wordpress is not good” simply because I do not understand it.

Anyway, both Joomla and Wordpress are amazing platforms. It is up to you which one you will choose. And for obvious reasons, I am in love with Joomla :D

508 posts Code is Poetry
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
egemenerd says

joomfx is right. If we haven’t got enough knowledge or experience with Joomla, we shouldn’t say “Joomla is not good” . I didn’t work with Joomla but I know that Joomla admin panel is not easy to understand for unexperienced user. So most of the customers wants to use Wordpress. Wordpress admin panel is simple and easy to use for everyone. So if we are doing this job for money,I think Wordpress is a better option ;)

128 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
mountainthemes says

joomfx is right. If we haven’t got enough knowledge or experience with Joomla, we shouldn’t say “Joomla is not good” . I didn’t work with Joomla but I know that Joomla admin panel is not easy to understand for unexperienced user. So most of the customers wants to use Wordpress. Wordpress admin panel is simple and easy to use for everyone. So if we are doing this job for money,I think Wordpress is a better option ;)

I don’t like Joomla for these reasons…. and i don’t like Wordpress for these reasons. Wordpress admin panel is not as easy as you think. I prefer the perfect minimalism of symphony cms (http://getsymphony.com/) and craft (http://buildwithcraft.com/).

Just my 2 cents.

by
by
by
by
by
by