• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Latvia
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
placdarms Reviewer says

Hi Videohivers. Every now and then we all got some rejections. I was talking to several authors that felt upset after we rejected their files and I encouraged them to post those rejected files on their blogs/vimeo/youtube accounts for free download to attract some traffic to their pro templates. I think it’s a great thing to do – get something good out of project that you’ve worked on and that didn’t make it through to VH professional templates database. I’m doing it myself and actually I recently took down some of my Vh files and now I’m offering them for free because they were not doing too good as a paid templates. I still hope to work on this more and offer some high quality free content as well.

But the question is – Do you also offer free content? if you do – post link to yours here. I share mine here: [link removed]

5027 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

It’s actually against the forum rules to post any links to freebies here.

Because of the commercial nature of the Envato networks, authors are expected to understand and respect the fact that using the forum to post links to one’s own items, or to give away free files to the community, is not allowed. This practice effectively undercuts the hard work of all authors who wish to sell their items fairly, and as such it is not tolerated.

-f.

1815 posts Videohive author & moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+7 more
Mocarg Volunteer moderator says

hahahahahahah moderator vs reviewer :D

I also give freebies on my Youtube page and Facebook page.

683 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Greece
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+1 more
videologio says

i have a free project too at my blog, that i have at my profile. the “logo in the storm” if you remember :)

5027 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

hahahahahahah moderator vs reviewer :D I also give freebies on my Youtube page and Facebook page.

Even reviewers can’t escape my evil, power-crazed wrath! Mwaaaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

:evil: :D

-f.

229 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Latvia
+5 more
placdarms Reviewer says

Oops. Sorry. I should read forum rules again then. Good that I’m not Mod would have a hard time then. Anyways. then keep this thread as an encouragement to start building your freebies base. As regarding Envato – I think it could help to bring in some traffic if we would have some videohive freebies section. it might also help to keep our commercially available stuff high quality, because then reviewers would have 3 options – aproove, reject or send to freebies section.

5027 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

No worries, Plac. :)

My take on this whole theme:

I think freebies can and do serve a purpose to bring in new business – the free trial, so to speak. But be a little careful: giving your work away can also promote the perception that your time and work are worth less. Some buyers may think “great, I’ll have this guy’s freebie”, but when it comes time to buy a file, they’ll go to an author that doesn’t need to give away their stuff for free. The consumer’s mind works in mysterious ways.

Also, remember that giveaway culture contibutes generally to price deflation in what we do and is generally detrimental to the idea that what we do is of worth. So consider carefully before buying too wholesale into the idea that giving your work away is beneficial to you. What you’re actually entering into is an author-vs-author price war whose price floor stops at $0.

Personally, I do give my time for free in terms of replying to forum questions and a handful of tutorials, but unless I decide to submit an official FFOM sometime, I won’t be giving any files away any time soon.

-f.

306 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • United States
DigitalRicky says

I’ve got some random stuff on my old old blog: [link removed]

Whenever I get rejections I dont put them up for free. I use it’s content to create a better project

5027 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

I’ve got some random stuff on my old old blog: [link removed] Whenever I get rejections I dont put them up for free. I use it’s content to create a better project

I think that’s a good idea. If you’re working for any other client and they don’t like it, you don’t just abandon it, you work on, you improve, you try to understand what’s required (which is not always clear or easy).... why not with rejected projects?

-f.

1815 posts Videohive author & moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+7 more
Mocarg Volunteer moderator says

700 Authors == Minimum of 700 free files… Which would be bad for use authors :D