• Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • United States
DigitalRicky says

Woops forgot I can’t put freebie links :S Felt is all up in his BanHammer! :O

Yup, I used to abandon my projects a long time ago, but I stopped doing it. Now I have many unfinished projects that I often go back and improve, even some from 2009 that I go back and laugh at how I made it

5025 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

700 Authors == Minimum of 700 free files… Which would be bad for use authors :D

And then it would only be a matter of time for some smart alec to come along, make a website called Freehive, linking to all these free projects, sticking his advertising on it and making a few bucks by drawing all the buyer dollars away from this site.

It’ll end in tears, I tell you.

-f.

1257 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

free is evil. charge for everything. to do less creates welfare mentaility mindset in buyers and then they go find pirate stuff and it devalues the hard work you guys do. charge money, all professionals do.

221 posts Per aspera ad Astra
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
Wayman says

Some of my projects which have been rejected, I’m just doing theirs like a bonus to the next project which was approved. Thus this project cannot be obtained for free without buying anything else. It’s just like a little gift to slightly stimulate demand. :)

I promise that this year I’ll enroll to English language courses! :nerdy:

5025 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

free is evil. charge for everything. to do less creates welfare mentaility mindset in buyers and then they go find pirate stuff and it devalues the hard work you guys do. charge money, all professionals do.

Well said, Ken.

-f.

1602 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

free items would totaly destroy principles and succes of VH. even the free birthday bundle has disadvantages. people never apreciate what they get for free. the only great idea would be something like galery of top rejected filers. why? its simple, that would encourage people to do more double checking and projects would be with more quality. so no one would like to be in that galery, ofcourse this can be pointed into other direction, promotion of author or something like bloopers, the funny galery. so anyway, no freebies.

229 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Latvia
+5 more
placdarms Reviewer says

Good points everyone.

Actually I was the one that always tried to live on freebies. It was more like a principle – not to give my 10$ to those evil ….. authors. Then I realized I lost more time (money) googling for freebies than I would spend buying one of those pro projects. Possibly if I would find what I was looking for between freebies i would still think that. This proves your point.

But then again there is Cramer who does a lot for free and through that has build a huge community and sell’s his products like a charm. And what about sxc.hu?

5025 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

Videocopilot is only something good if you’re someone who doesn’t know After Effects. For everyone else, it’s responsible for a lot of damage; from perception of worth or the armies of imitators, to the idea that design is all about copying something you find cool and calling it your own.

The mantra of the web is undercut, undercut, undercut – until no more undercutting can be done because everything is free. Videohive itself also leans in this direction. There has been noticeable price deflation on files lately. (the quality goes up, but the price ceiling remains the same).

The sad part is that it is the ultimate fate of undercutters to be undercut. Those who spend time building their reputation and charging an appropriate fee tend to rise above all the price slashing and outlast everything else.

sxc.hu? A perfect example of what I’m talking about. Digital stock photography, Flicker, free stock sites have almost wiped out an entire tier of mid-level professional photographers over the last few years. The high-end guys, the advertising photographers don’t care. They still get their $2000 a day.

I guess it’s just a side effect of the digital age we are living in.

Consider these musings the next time you’re about to shoot yourself in the foot upload a free file. :)

-f.

613 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Finland
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+1 more
uniquefx says

In my opinion,it all depends on the freebie.Nobody’s saying that you have to give out your best stuff for free but something like a script,cool expression driven animation or a Particular preset can be a great way to get noticed and drive people to check out your other (commercial) work.

Good discussion going on here,i know i will think twice in the future what to give out for free and what it might lead to.

449 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
Final_Step says

In my opinion,it all depends on the freebie.Nobody’s saying that you have to give out your best stuff for free but something like a script,cool expression driven animation or a Particular preset can be a great way to get noticed and drive people to check out your other (commercial) work. Good discussion going on here,i know i will think twice in the future what to give out for free and what it might lead to.

Your are right ! Never give something great for free… only some samples.

This is a great discussion, Ken’s opinion is also interesting and might be true..

by
by
by
by
by
by