1257 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

yes in pricing the “race the to bottom” is what caused a lot of damage to producers of all kinds, as for example ebay sellers sold stuff at ever-lower prices, til it’s all commoditized and the incentive to create high-quality stuff goes down… and felt has good points re stock sites and the rest of it… remember the dot-com bust of ‘99-2000 was a lot of internet startups offering a lot of free stuff because they thought it was cool and would attract buying customers… instead it just created armies of freebie-seeking moochers who never bought, and so many of the companies were wiped out. or have to resort to alternate biz models like using content as lead-generation and monetize w/backend offers and advertising, which isn’t customer friendly, big-picture.

you have to ‘train’ buyers, and motivate them, and be careful about what signals you send to them, so they don’t get to where they expect things for free all the time… similarly sellers shouldn’t overcharge for a money grab either… it’s a fine line… for relatively new markets (less than 3-4 years maturity, like the ae template biz), a few free content items done very rarely/sparingly may be ok, like 2-3 a year total.. but big picture with pricing so low here for basic projects it’s likely best to not give away much, and focus on developing customer buying behavior so they buy often instead…and figure out who your target market is and go for that…give me 20 solid buyers over 1000 non-buyers who just download/leech free content any day. envato ‘has it right’ so far.

5032 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Wise words, Ken. The comparison with the dot com boom and bust is an interesting one.

I remember when that happened. I was kind of caught up in it. Being young and naive at the time, I thought that’s just how things were and that it would just carry on like that. Post 2000 was quite a lot different.

Our industry has a fast changing landscape. It really never stands still.

-f.

1120 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+2 more
SonicCube says

Hello

I agree with you Ken and Felt.

Let me tell you how it was / is in the music business. When i started to sell my first few tracks to record labels, there where only a few people worldwide creating this kind of electronic dance music and the demand of the public for new tracks was really high. You could price your tracks ( if they where good / working ) quite high and sometimes labels even fighted each other to get one particular track from a artist. After a few years, many new / young artists joined the business as the equipment and software droped dramaticaly in their prices. So there was now such a big mass of tracks available and many people even gave their music for free to labels in hope for a first release and “fame”. This and the whole mp3 sharing thing really changed the business and i’m sure that it is never a good solution to give away everything for free.

Look at AJ, it’s probably the thougest Envato marketplace to earn money. Why ? Because people got used to see music as something you don’t have to pay for, as you can get everything, everywhere in the net as mp3 download ( illegaly of course ). Thats the reason why so many small record labels went bancrupt and artists started to promote and sell their music directly in the www, so they dont have to pay from the little income the rest of “the chain” like label, publisher etc.

So, ask money for your work or we all end up looking for a 9-5 job ( which i did 5 years ago ) :)

14 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
Silvertongue62 says

free is evil. charge for everything. to do less creates welfare mentaility mindset in buyers and then they go find pirate stuff and it devalues the hard work you guys do. charge money, all professionals do.

I totally disagree with you there. Selfishness is not the answer. With the abundance of talent you guys have, you also have just as many options for work that doesn’t sell or doesn’t sell well. There is the option of bundling.

Offer to give the potential client this for free if you buy this over here. Keep track of those who purchase from you and convert them into loyal customers by ingratiating them after every four purchases or something. The best advertising is word of mouth and that is something that a customer will talk about.

Use the files otherwise free as a way of saying thank you to those who have purchased file from you already. The options are limitless. And none of that was free.

Advertising is expensive but that was otherwise cheap.

You guys be good!

Silvertongue62

5032 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Selfishness is not the answer.

I do hope you’re not suggesting that authors charging money for what they do is selfishness.

-f.

14 posts
  • United States
Silvertongue62 says

I do hope you’re not suggesting that authors charging money for what they do is selfishness.

-f.

Not at all…. What i am saying is you ae guys have as many options as you do talent. Instead of giving away a single project use it as a lure. You can also use it as a reward for good patronage. This makes the loyal customer think he/she has a special relationship to the author.

I would never suggest simply throwing your talent to the wind!

Silvertongue62

2330 posts Small, but tough
  • Elite Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

-f.

Not at all…. What i am saying is you ae guys have as many options as you do talent. Instead of giving away a single project use it as a lure. You can also use it as a reward for good patronage. This makes the loyal customer think he/she has a special relationship to the author.

Silvertongue62

If we were to focus on VideoHive specifically, then we have to take into consideration a couple of things.

- First of all we do not have any insight whatsoever, in our sales, regarding: Who is the buyer, where is (s)he from, where does (s)he comes from etc.

- These project’s on VideoHive are anyhow underpriced, for example: project which I would price at least $400-$500 is priced here $20, but I’m OK with that because it’s pain in the neck to work with some people, so I decided for VH. Conclusion: the project’s are almost free, so giving some more free stuff would be called – working for free.

14 posts
  • United States
Silvertongue62 says

-f.

Silvertongue62

If we were to focus on VideoHive specifically, then we have to take into consideration a couple of things.

- First of all we do not have any insight whatsoever, in our sales, regarding: Who is the buyer, where is (s)he from, where does (s)he comes from etc.

- These project’s on VideoHive are anyhow underpriced, for example: project which I would price at least $400-$500 is priced here $20, but I’m OK with that because it’s pain in the neck to work with some people, so I decided for VH. Conclusion: the project’s are almost free, so giving some more free stuff would be called – working for free.

I don’t know if there is a language barrier or what? It seems that picking and choosing small pieces of what i said is the rule here.

Listen and read all.

1) I am not suggesting that you give anything away. (Is that clear?)

2) But if you are giving anything away, give it away in a way that works for you. As a lure. Bundle it into another project to make people more apt to buy.

What I said is you have other options other than looking at it with rose colored glasses.

GIVE NOTHING AWAY ! USE IT AS A TOOL !

2330 posts Small, but tough
  • Elite Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Ok ok, there’s no need to be upset :D

14 posts
  • United States
Silvertongue62 says

Ok ok, there’s no need to be upset :D

I’m not upset! I am sitting here trying to figure out how to use the projects you guys create.

by
by
by
by
by
by