I have some PHP & MySQL book, C#, HTML5 & CSS3, but honestly, I barely read 150 pages of PHP & MySQL. I just can’t, I’m more of a “open source and analyze” learning type of guy Also, Google is my friend. And lot’s of good guys who share their knowledge and various solutions to some common or not so common problems. What about you?
Usually yes, Stackoverflow and Google are very helpful, but there are some cases when you can get info only from books. For example I have read “Professional PHP Design Patterns / Saray A. – 2009” and I’ve got tons of important info. Don’t think I would ever know all patterns by just examining source code of some projects.
I have “jQuery Black Box”, an Indonesian book about jQuery. This is the most complex book about web design I ever had. And I just left it in my closet, lol.
After reading 150 pages, I still couldn’t understand some pretty much basic things and it bothered me and made further progress much more difficult. As soon as I opened some script and started playing with it, dozens of back then “non-logic” things became very logic.
never read book and I offer stop read book because:
- personified knowledge and easy to go wrong.
- too much text , the technicial need simple and clear expands.
- easy to be old technology , knowledge. Author may need 1 year to write and then it maybe become old.
- you learned what you may never use. We’re in sea of knowledges , if we learn all , we can spend more than 100 years. choose what you want to learn , google what you find
anyway , books maybe good for start. when you don’t know anything and need some good points to start , you will learn something not even true 100% but you will figure it out later.
I love to read books, but only for Typography, HTML and CSS. (geek books)
Very rarely but in timely manner got some help from paper books. Sometimes, even reading the fundamentals require few reference diversions and comebacks to complete properly, so linear reading almost vanished and paper books doesn’t fit!
Started feeling it no longer matters how well a book written; a book can be helpful only according to the timing and accuracy of selection from reader. So google fits majority cases!
- Please read our community guidelines. Self promotion and discussion of piracy is not allowed.
- Open a support ticket if you would like specific help with your account, deposits or purchases.
- Item Support by authors is optional and may vary. Please see the Support tab on each item page.
Most of all, enjoy your time here. Thank you for being a valued Envato community member.