242 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ATLChris says

I was just curious, but do you all ever sketch out designs on paper or wireframe software before you dive right into it?

Call me old school, but I still love to hand draw layouts and designs before I ever open Photoshop. How about you all? I have an assortment of colored pencils and grid paper in my office and still love to sketch it out by hand haha.

1429 posts
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

Yes, I did. Both when doing web design and illustration. It saves a lot of time.

180 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in United States
SuperMario290 says

Definitely. Good ol’ pencil and paper really works well when drawing out designs. you can redo things, and do tons of variations before you have to work with more complex technology. I think it takes a lot of the time away and makes things a lot more simpler :)

82 posts
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mikemcalister says

Not me. I pretty much know how I want a site to look before I even open Photoshop. Call me crazy, but I like brainstorming in my head for a few weeks before I actually start to execute design.

Also, I’m terrible at drawing, even simple wireframes ;)

180 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in United States
SuperMario290 says
Also, I’m terrible at drawing, even simple wireframes ;)

ah yeah me too, so bad at drawing. I guess i just learn to kinda see what a good drawer would see if he was doing the same thing :D

271 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
KiaJavid says

I’m so bad at drawing :) but still, I always start with sketching. It saves a lot of time for me.
I draw wireframes on a big whiteboard on my wall

382 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
blabus says

Nope, don’t sketch. It’s faster for me to just prototype right in Photoshop, and that way if I stumble upon an effect, layer style, etc. that I think looks cool, I can just save it and put it off to the side in case I end up wanting to use it. I do however occasionally wireframe things in Illustrator, as I find it has much better dimensioning tools than Photoshop.

146 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in Netherlands
0703 says

oh honestly it depends on where ( what i place ) and when ( in what situation ) i get an idea. weather for a webdesign or a logo or just a simple posterdesign. so whatever is around me i have to use. as you maybe know, while taking a shower you get the most inspirations, it has something todo with the fresh and very clean air you get under water. so i always have a moleskin in my bathroom. when im at work it depends. actually i draw so “picasso” style, i cant figure out later what my brain told me. have to focus more, but still, its just a kind of draft. lucky me i always find the perfect pictures when i have a design in mind

444 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in United Kingdom
TahaH-Studio says

For web design I just do a quick mochup either on paper or a quick one on photoshop. If I didnt do that I will change my mind almost every 2 seconds thats why I need to have some kind of planning and research before I start any project. :D

266 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
DigitalHenry says

I sketch my layouts most of the time. Especially when I’m stuck. Part of my workflow.

by
by
by
by
by
by