• Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

We were approached by a clent who wants a immersive dynamic site for his brand new business, a bricks and mortar business venue on the Gold Coast, actually its a themed attraction.

We agreed prices etc, rates / hr we discounted due to the size and complexity of the site.

Just invoiced him for this week to include all expenses, $2378.00 inc GST ( 10% sales tax )

Includes:

59.5 hrs dev work broken down by day , task etc. Competition for logo and finalising logo via 99 designs setup on our ultrafast server ( aussie based ) 2 years domain purchase .com.au ssl cert and setup for 12 months. some miscellaneous costs of around $30.00 splash introduction page whilst site being constructed full admin and dev area, and login for him to check progress full sign up for public, writing to db and sending email acceptance etc to users.

Just sent him invoice with complete breakdown, site is about 35% complete. All of the above costs / expenditure we have paid from our own pockets

His reply. HOLY CRAP thats a bit steep.

< this has floored me lol. Just figuring out what to do.

59 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
gbsmith71 says

Which bit is he considering steep? Looks like your hourly rate is around $30 per hour, which is certainly at what I would consider the lower end of quality web design / development.

Is he querying the number of hours taken so far? You need to try to drill down into where his concern is.

I usually do all my client sites as fixed price with a very clear scope (never hourly rate) with a percentage (10% -20%) included as risk. All other fixed cost such as domain, hosting, ssl cert, stock photos, fonts, etc are added as separate items. I always take a deposit (covers the domainreg, hosting, etc) and then progress payments based on deliverable stages. Its all detailed in an agreement that we both sign on commencement. Wont help in this case, but maybe for next time.

2954 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Yer always tricky. We’ve had some success by emailing customers a special “job view” link that they can click to see the job progress and current price. Or straight out ask the customer at the start of the project what their budget is. Or ask if the customer wants an update each time the job grows by $500 or something.

Boils down to the customer not always knowing what they can get for their cash. Some think $4k for a web app is dirt cheap, some think $1k for a web app is extremely expensive.

5390 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

Hey Gav, yep spot on. We normally charge out at $55.00 / hr . I had a brain fart and did him a deal at $30 due in part to promisory back scratching, which I am fairly positive he will deliver.

Dave, yup our initial meetings, I estimated he should budget between 20-30 k for delivery, and management. He wasnt phased by that. Mind you it could have been gormless shock lol

It kind of brings me to, how clients in general “value” developers as a rule. I know some of the big guns on TF do really well, but I see a lot of “clients” smarting at the cost of a $40 template/theme.

I wonder if they actually ever really think how much non paid pre launch investment went into the project.

Gav, yep I think I will nail it harder next time.

1034 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
BenSheppard says

Have you got a contract with them?

5390 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

Not in writing Ben, aside from 4 face to face meetings culminating in 4 vigorous handshakes.

He could come good, who knows huh.

Problem is the project got the green flag from government and with such a short time to launch we get straight on to it. I have spoken with him this afternoon, and he has climbed back down off the roof with his sensible head on.

I have said, best thing is you pay me, and I will send you a complete breakdown contract through. Then we can resume where we left off. So who knows ..

5390 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

—Update

10 days and Nothing. One phone call a week ago, promising immediate payment. Nothing since.

Oh well just goes to show, as a dev make sure you protect yourself from the bloody off !

296 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
sniperatic says

—Update

10 days and Nothing. One phone call a week ago, promising immediate payment. Nothing since.

Oh well just goes to show, as a dev make sure you protect yourself from the bloody off !

Gah, that’s not good news. :/ Hopefully he will still come through for you.

86 posts
  • United States
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
groupp says

This is why, with everyone of our clients, once the contract (verbal or written) agreement is made, we then go out and buy their name .com . You would be very surprised how fast they turn around and pay when theres a whole website devoted to them.

5390 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

LOL thats an idea ! Will give him 24 hrs then may conemplate doing that

by