54 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Slovenia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
psvent says

I would like to know if anyone uses _s as a base for their themes and what are your experiences with it?

Personally I need to take some decisions if I am to finally publish anything here on TF and starting from scratch just doesn’t make sense to me mainly because of lack of time. I am an experienced programmer though just didn’t yet get around to making a WP theme so I am comfortable with starting off with something pre-made.

_s looks like the way to go, after all it’s built by Automattic and if they don’t obey the Codex who does? Also what I like about it is that it’s a proper base theme namely it only has stuff in it that is absolutely necessary especially the CSS is clean and doesn’t have any stuff in it that has do with styling (it does look like crap :)).

Anyways what’s your take on _s and also generally on using a base theme to cut into the overall development time?

236 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
GradaStudio says

_s is an awesome very basic starter theme. it has all the stuff to kick start a wordpress theme. using it in my new framework of-course with lots of custom codes to suit my requirements :)

54 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Slovenia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
psvent says

Yeah, finding it was kind of revelation for me personally. It somehow sliped under my radar before.

What would be a good codebase setup? I was thinking of forking the master and maintain my own version and also submit pull request for stuff that would make sens to be added to the master branch. I guess the actual themes could also be in separate branches then.

236 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
GradaStudio says

if you are a developer its good to go. i myself forked a lot so i keep checking what’s new or any bug fixes in _s to keep my codebase upto date.

also as _s says.. “Hi. I’m a starter theme called _s, or underscores, if you like. I’m a theme meant for hacking so don’t use me as a Parent Theme. “

i think good way to go is create own parent theme or framework using it :)

by
by
by
by
by
by