2127 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Graphic-Studio says

A few years ago I lost a machine due to lightning strike in the neighborhood.

Fried the Motherboard, that was a shame.

Do you use protectors?

What do you think is the best Surge Protector / Power Supplier?

1313 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Indonesia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
canimalition says

Wow, that’s so horrible… :o

I never use Protector or something like that, when lightning come, the simple ways is just turn off my computers. . . :whistle:

3244 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says
Graphic-Studio said
A few years ago I lost a machine due to lightning strike in the neighborhood.

Fried the Motherboard, that was a shame.

Do you use protectors?

What do you think is the best Surge Protector / Power Supplier?

a few years ago they weren’t that popular but many homes now have a whole home surge protector and there fairly inexpensive depending on the size of the house

2127 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+2 more
Graphic-Studio says

I have 2 Protectors now, but one is turning itself off sometimes.

So, maybe I need to get a new one.

243 posts
  • Located in United States
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Won a competition
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
deiby says

I use one of these. Bought back in 2008 and it’s been awesome since. Somewhat expensive but well worth it imo if you have occasional issues. I use to buy those $20-30 types but the battery just kept dying well under load and they would not last. Very unreliable. With the one I use now, there are no worries and plenty of time to do many things including shut down properly if needed.

Many many years ago lightning hit my home, took out a TV, wireless phone, and the modem(56k!) inside my PC. But the main reason I use one is because even the occasional flicker of power that turns off a PC and cause damage, corrupt files, and make you lose work/stuff.

6 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+2 more
TheNeezioGroup says

All of our servers and workstations utilize the APC line of products. The ones for our workstations run about $100 USD but handle surge protection, battery backup, and power line conditioning. They also come with their own software and a USB cable which allows your computer to monitor how much battery life is left and can shut down your computer if it is nearing exhaustion before power is restored which is particularly useful if the power outage or surge event occurs while you are away from the computer.

Just to help give you a little reference, the APC XS -1000 model is able to run a quad-core desktop, three 22” monitors, and a logitech surround speaker system for about 14-22 minutes depending on speaker volume and level of processing activity. Also in our experience the batteries seem to last for about 1 1/2 to 2 years before needing replaced but the number of times it has saved us the frustration and anger that comes from an unexpected surge that shuts your computer off pays for itself in the first month or two.

Also, if you are truly worried about your equipment during heavy storms or strong lightning activity, simply shutting everything off is not enough. You should really unplug the equipment from the wall to ensure true protection and also keep in mind that high voltage can travel over cable and ethernet lines depending on where the strike occurs so having some sort of protection inline there is highly advised also. I have had to replace a number of cable modems and network routers because of this.

34 posts
+1 more
Innovation says

I also use UPS of APC comapny. It’s very good. Before this UPS I had another UPS that is local made and because that I had also lost motherboard and monitor.

80 posts
thepainterman says
canimalition said
Wow, that’s so horrible… :o I never use Protector or something like that, when lightning come, the simple ways is just turn off my computers. . . :whistle:

Not gonna do you much good if the lightning affects you first.

8 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
westom says
thepainterman said
Not gonna do you much good if the lightning affects you first.

Which explains no phone service in your town for four days while they replace their surge damaged $multi-million computer. A telephone CO typically suffers about 100 surges with each thunderstorm. A home owner need only worry about one surge every seven years.

Routine was to install protection so that direct lightning strikes do not even damage the protector.  But those well proven items cost no where near as much as a UPS.   And, unlike the UPS, actually do protection.
Read the spec numbers on a UPS.  None claim effective protection. A destructive surge is typically hundreds of thousands of joules.  How many joules will a UPS absorb?  Hundreds?  Near zero protection means advertising, sales brochures, and  other sources of myths can hype a UPS into 100% protection.  Those subjective lies are legal.  Meanwhile, an informed consumer knows that near zero protection is ineffective surge protection.  Learns why so many waste so much money on items that do not even claim effective protection.  And learns how protection is always done when damage must not happen: ie one ‘whole house’ protector.
In any facility that can never suffer damage, a protection system only has one always required item - single point earth ground.  Some protection systems do not even have protectors.  But earthing must always exist. Protection for over 100 years has always been about where those hundreds of thousands of joules dissipate.  Either earth a 'whole house' protector.  Or your entire house only has the protection that comes standard inside all appliances.
More responsible companies provide 'whole house' protectors including Siemens, Leviton, ABB, General Electric, Intermatic, Polyphaser, and Square D.  A Cutler-Hammer solution sells in Lowes and Home Depot for less than $50.  Because even the refrigerator, digital clocks, and furnace need that protection.
Either surge energy is harmlessly absorbed outside a building.  Or a surge goes hunting for earth ground inside and destructively via appliances. Only you make that choice.  A protector can only be effective when it connects energy low impedance (ie 'less than 10 feet') to single point earth ground.  Protection is always a discussion about where energy dissipates.
How many joules does that UPS claim to absorb? Protection is always a discussion of where energy is absorbed.  At near zero, is a UPS really a surge protector?  Did you ignore what is always critically important?  Manufacturer specification numbers?
1734 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+2 more
VisualSharing says

I don’t, but I should.

by
by
by
by