733 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
OlexandrIgnatov says

Hello guys! :)

The topic is – do you use your fingers to actually make a beat to the song, or do you just draw part in a sequencer editor?

That’s interesting to know for me, as a keyboard player, because I’m a fan of as I call it – KeyDrumming, is there someone who love doing that too?

Let’s see! :)

(hope it won’t considered as self-promotion, but that’s what I mean by KeyDrumming – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPvEBu0FLjA(Linkin Park) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWEZgnA5l_E(Dream Theater)

1420 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+4 more
UJ-pro says

Hi,

it’s different and it belongs to the music style because I haven’t got a big pool of loops and samples, especially for natural drum grooves.

I’d say mostly I create the groove out of the fingers. For example my new happy tracks or ‘The Winner’. I like and prefer the freedom in repeatings of parts, breaks, intros, endings. I hate it and it sounds boring to me just to copy and paste. Even if it’s just a little change it’s nice. A special challenge was to play the drums on the track ‘Story Of A Friendship’ to let them sound natural played. I think it has become good. Unfortunately it’s not what the commercial world needs. ;)

Sometimes I try to implement Stylus RMX. The (my) soundpool there is very special (only grooves and sounds from the 1st version) and not able to use in many styles. For example I found a great fitting cinematic groove in RMX for the track ‘Still In Love’. Just added the 3 low hits at the beginning of every second beat.

And sometimes I mix it like in ‘Energy Effects’.

So for me there are no rules how to make a groove. At the end it has to sound good on the track. :)

The way of playing drums in both video is what I like. Than you have the best feeling when it comes out of your fingers. Especially with rock music. BTW, great sounding drums in both videos. :)

EDIT: How are you creating grooves?

733 posts
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
OlexandrIgnatov says

Thanks for sharing your opinion and watching my videos :)

How do I create? I just open some drum kit and jam on a song to find the right groove (with fingers, of course – never use mouse for that, sometimes just for editing the wrong note). Then I build every sound and make it sound right, so I know that my kick, snare and other main elements sound right to the song.

443 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
studio_21 says

Back in the old days when I first started (didn’t even know about vsts) :) I used only the mouse. As time passed I started using midi keyboard (for certain songs) . Now I use a combination of all , recorded drums combined with midi sounds.

Anyways it just depends on the inspiration, there is no specific method of approaching.

733 posts
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
OlexandrIgnatov says

Back in the old days when I first started (didn’t even know about vsts) :) I used only the mouse. As time passed I started using midi keyboard (for certain songs) . Now I use a combination of all , recorded drums combined with midi sounds. Anyways it just depends on the inspiration, there is no specific method of approaching.

Cool! I’m working in such drum combo mode too. :)

disabled_Half_Light_SoundStudio
disabled_Half_Light_SoundStudio Recent Posts Threads Started
824 posts
  • Located in United States
disabled_Half_Light_SoundStudio says

Hello guys! :)

The topic is – do you use your fingers to actually make a beat to the song, or do you just draw part in a sequencer editor?

That’s interesting to know for me, as a keyboard player, because I’m a fan of as I call it – KeyDrumming, is there someone who love doing that too?

Let’s see! :)

(hope it won’t considered as self-promotion, but that’s what I mean by KeyDrumming – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPvEBu0FLjA(Linkin Park) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWEZgnA5l_E(Dream Theater)

While I would prefer a real drumset, I live in an apartment complex right now. My favorite method does happen to be Keyboard drumming! :) It has worked out well for me thus far. Although I find the tendency to gravitate towards rap stye beats lol

384 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+1 more
MSVoy says

That title though…

Inappropriate thoughts apart, I do like to start a groove by hand with my midi controller and then work from there, test out patterns, and so on… That is not always the case, but I like it when it is. I can always quantize a bit more if my performance was not so good, edit some difficult parts… as a conclusion, yes, I do like to drum it out, but I don’t always do it.

Cheers!

391 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Revturkey says

Sometimes yes I do a bit of keyboard drumming on recordings. It’s fun :)

565 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Coriiander says

Check out the Mi.Mu gloves: it’s a product in development, which allows you to wirelessly control (currently through WIFI) MIDI-enabled gear with it through gestures. You can for example control pitch, program changes, controllers, faders, effects, modulation, etc. by just moving, bending, turning (pitch/yaw/roll) and tapping you hand palm, fingers and finger tops. It can basically be used for anything, so also for beat making. The software is open-source by the way. It’s quite pretty brilliant and exiting, especially for techy live performers.

YouTube: Imogen Heap talks about her gesture-control Mi.Mu gloves

1420 posts
+4 more
UJ-pro says

Check out the Mi.Mu gloves: it’s a product in development, which allows you to wirelessly control (currently through WIFI) MIDI-enabled gear with it through gestures. You can for example control pitch, program changes, controllers, faders, effects, modulation, etc. by just moving, bending, turning (pitch/yaw/roll) and tapping you hand palm, fingers and finger tops. It can basically be used for anything, so also for beat making. The software is open-source by the way. It’s quite pretty brilliant and exiting, especially for techy live performers.

YouTube: Imogen Heap talks about her gesture-control Mi.Mu gloves

Nice one. Thanks for sharing the video, Cori.

Great idea, TBH I’m more interested in her than in her gloves. :D Very interesting woman. ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by