1034 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says

I’d really like to be able to work from home and have branched out as much as possible in the past couple of months so that hopefully the next few will be profitable.
I had to move 250 miles away from my girlfriend, family and friends for a web design job here as there wasn’t any there and if there was you required experience actually working in an office. I’d love to be able to move back their in the next few months with a steady income and with experience working in a digital agency just encase something popped up after I moved down.

So my question really is,
Do you work from home?
Do you find it easy?
Do you get a lot of “custom / freelance” jobs from customising your themes?

I’d really love to hear your feedback / advice for me!

590 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
CodeSwift says

Yes, i work from home.

The problem when you’re working from home is that you’re home, your brain doesn’t associate it with working so it’s hard sometimes. If you manage to have a specific room that will only be a working room then it might be easier.

There are customizations from time to time, but those are all minor customizations and we don’t charge for them.

1732 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
dnp_theme says

I am a full time Envato author, I work home mostly but also anywhere I can get some Internet connection. I am currently active on Themeforest and AudioJungle, but I am planning to go CodeCanyon, Photodune and Tuts+ in the next couple of years.

You and me had some, let’s say, improper changes of lines, but I hope you get the best part of it and use in your advantage if possible. I think you need a stronger attitude and more positive if possible, helps your creative side a ton.

Yes working from home could be boring or problematic, you can combine this with travel. You can also call home various places, why not.

So yeah, you can do it too, perhaps even better. Just choose your field/fight, get yourself some tough skill and take the bull in your horns.

Best of luck Ben.
D

1034 posts
+2 more
BenSheppard says

Not trying to delve too deep, but do you find the money ample or can it be difficult month from month, I don’t want to move home and become a burden if you get what I mean.

1823 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

I work from home too. I always worked from home. I invested lot of time and energy in learning stuff myself and probably if I would’ve worked for local companies here in Romania, the salary would’ve been at most $300 for a junior or even an intern, which is not what I wanted. I can’t just go somewhere and ask for a $1000 or $2000 salary because they will laugh at you, especially if you’re like 18-20 old.

So I chose freelancing first, which worked pretty well. Through freelance sites I found my first full-time job for a big company in US, I worked from home as well and now I’m a full-time author on ThemeForest.

The main issue I see is not being fully productive, I’m a little bit lazy(my luck is that I work extremely fast) so yeah, while working, sometimes I spend more than 50% of the time browsing facebook, 9gag, youtube, talking to random persons, which probably wouldn’t happen if I was working for a local company.

But the rest of them are advantages, you work when you want, how you want, how many hours you want, you can leave the workspace anytime you want, you can go drink a coffee, a beer and work at the same time.

I wouldn’t give up this, this WAS and IS my dream, to be my boss and to work from home.

+4 more
dnp_theme says

Not trying to delve too deep, but do you find the money ample or can it be difficult month from month, I don’t want to move home and become a burden if you get what I mean.

That depends on how good you are and / or the potential you have. You could earn a few hundreds of dollars in the first few months and later thousands.. I think you can make a living, just you will need some support for a while.

+4 more
dnp_theme says

I work from home too. I always worked from home. I invested lot of time and energy in learning stuff myself and probably if I would’ve worked for local companies here in Romania, the salary would’ve been at most $300 for a junior or even an intern, which is not what I wanted. I can’t just go somewhere and ask for a $1000 or $2000 salary because they will laugh at you, especially if you’re like 18-20 old.

But the rest of them are advantages, you work when you want, how you want, how many hours you want, you can leave the workspace anytime you want, you can go drink a coffee, a beer and work at the same time.

I wouldn’t give up this, this WAS and IS my dream, to be my boss and to work from home.

Beautiful. Couldn’t agree more.

1034 posts
+2 more
BenSheppard says

well I’m currently on 17k a year first job, and that’s pretty damn good, but that’s because I am good at developing websites and editing wordpress and such (Just not that great at design) so that’s where teaming up and doing freelance work comes in.

Don’t get me wrong I love my job, being able to work on websites but I’ve always wanted to be working for myself

+4 more
dnp_theme says

Just do it!

1034 posts
+2 more
BenSheppard says

Just do it!

Well I plan to work as hard as possible the next couple of months, hopefully by march (ish) I’ll know if it’s possible

by
by
by
by
by
by