217 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
CreativeStable says
But what is your reason for NOT giving the sources away ?

I would assume they need the files so that they can give them to another company to use/change for them.

When I do print work, that client is paying for the printed, finished product. Not the digital version. Come to think of it, I have never had a client ask me for that, but if they did it would definitely be an extra charge.. It would basically be like changing the license on it.

With logos, I will give them the EPS versions but not the originals.

118 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
+1 more
elisent says

In my opinion the clients should get the source files in case you will not be available to do modifications in the future for whatever reasons. If a client will feel trapped by you (not receiving the sourcefiles) he might turn elsewhere next time because he might feel your business practices are not fair. Of course it’s a choice every developer/company has to make but I personally see no real reason why a client shouldn’t get the sources and have the liberty to go elsewhere with them if he wasn’t satisfied with your work.

Let me put it another way, I think it’s best to quote including the sourcefiles and let the client know that in case he doesn’t want the sourcefiles the price will be lower. Let them decide, they will most likely apreciate this more than the other way around. I know that if a subcontractor would blackmail me for the sources I will not work with them again.

951 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Daan says

I agree with the second part of your post oxylusdeaign, it’s probably the most friendly way of doing it.

but, when a client is not satisfied with your work, then why would he go elsewhere with the source files? I’d think they would want some changes, which they can get with you, or want a totally different thing, so..

I think giving the source files changes the license, and thus you can charge them, because where would they go elsewhere than to another agency/company/freelancer with your files?

322 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

All of this talk about source files, I’m curious how many are providing psd’s/editable png files with your themes/templates here on themeforest.

773 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Mexico
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
GARRO says
All of this talk about source files, I’m curious how many are providing psd’s/editable png files with your themes/templates here on themeforest.

I havent uploaded anything here on the forest… but i think it’s mandatory… isn’t it?

118 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
+1 more
elisent says

We include .psd files in TF Templates and even quite a few of our Flash Files on FlashDen. I see no reason why they shouldn’t be included.

@Daan asume you do a logo for a client and he also wants a website but he’s not happy with your turn-around time which could cause him great delays. Then he goes with the sourcefiles you provided to another company that respects deadlines. This is obviously just an example, but I’m sure you get where I’m going with this.

1 post
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
namynot says
Thanks, Garro. That’s how I feel as well. I’m in a similar situation right now – and I’m not sure what to do.

I had a similar issue a few weeks back. Since the client was problematic throughout the relationship, I decided you give him the source file free and part on a neutral business relationship. But in any other case, I would charge extra for it.

I recently wrote about it on my blog

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

Providing psds isn’t an absolute must…but it’s STRONGLY advised.

1426 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+10 more
kailoon Reviewer says

I did provide PSD for all my uploads because it is a premium theme. Without editable source file, what the “premium” means? Why don’t I just download a free theme? :)

by
by
by
by
by
by