33 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
flips says

Hey all,

I am about to release 3 site templates in the next couple of days and was looking into the things required in the zip files. This got me thinking about documentation and I couldn’t think (writers block) of the kind of things to include in it for the end user really. Advice/Example?

Appreciated, Jim

1430 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

I think you just try to explain A-Z is better ;)

33 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
flips says

Wow someone’s on the ball this morning, that was a quick reply :) thanks.

I’ve just found in projects in the past it’s sometimes easy to fall into the document everything trap and it all gets a bit too much for the end user. It’s been a while, but I’m certainly going to give it a good blast. If someone does want to chip in and share with us an example or guide, I’m sure it would help those of us that are stuck.

Don’t you find it’s easier to design than document? :)

1430 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

What I am talking about isn’t a very long instruction for the end users. it is basically guide them how to use the theme correctly.

For example: For ‘noob’ users, they may not know how to use the custom fields in WordPress.

For ‘experienced’ users, they know, but you still need to provide the ‘key’ for them.

Some even have different sidebar for different pages. So, documentation is actually the guideline to use the theme they purchased.

Try to think on behalf of the user who is going to pay for your product then you will find the best way to write the documentation :)

by
by
by
by
by
by