352 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Netherlands
motionvids says

So yeah.. do you think a thumbnail has a big influence on getting more exposure for your items and eventually gain you more sales?

How much time do you spend designing and deciding on your thumbnails?

And can you give me an example of what you think a ‘good’ thumbnail should look like. Should it contain elements of your item or should it just be a striking image to gain the customer’s attention?

5755 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

A good thumbnail keeps the environment clean! :P

I am pretty sure it wont directly help sales but as a portfolio/branding element it is worthy to invest time for that. Also better if the thumbnail conveys the part of item in graphical manner as it helps the buyer to identify quickly if they already watched the preview and about to return the page.

1685 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
+1 more
Firsh says

I think it’s very important, your item could be ace if it has a bad thumbnail that no one clicks. Big letters, straight to the point (just take a look at ThemeForest thumbnails vs any other thumbnails). It’s different for visual marketplaces and for code marketplaces. On VH and GR you are better off showing your design, but on code markets it’s hard to show everyting on 6400 pixels.

352 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Netherlands
motionvids says

Indeed. The thumbnail acts as a kind of business card for your item, you need to leave a good impression, or at least there needs to be a clear linkage between your item and your thumbnail.

What do you think of having a recurring element in all of your thumbnails, just for branding purposes?

2097 posts
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
+7 more
DarkstarDesigns says

Indeed. The thumbnail acts as a kind of business card for your item, you need to leave a good impression, or at least there needs to be a clear linkage between your item and your thumbnail. What do you think of having a recurring element in all of your thumbnails, just for branding purposes?

Yes i would say having a recurring theme in each thumb is a great idea, i have done it on mine they all have a little star in the top left hand corner.

50 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
DSThemes says

I’d say it does. It’s the first thing a potential buyer will see of your theme. A good first impression counts for a lot.

Nice and clean is my preference. Trying to get across what your theme is all about in one small icon is not an easy task – but it’s very important (to me anyway).

339 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
StencilMedia says

Absolutely. I pop in a search term or just head into a category if I’m not entirely sure what i want, and I haven’t got time to view every single one of the hundreds of results I get…. so a lot of times I just have the name and the thumbnail to go on.

A decent thumbnail will lead to me hovering over it to see the preview image. A decent preview image will get a bit of ‘right-click, open in new tab’ action from me, as I continue my endless search.

186 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
ThemeBuddies says

YES. It does. I have purchased many items on another account. I also browse the items regularly. I can tell you for sure that my browsing habits are definitely affected by the thumbnail. A well designed thumbnail does grab my attention and peaks my curiosity to see the design of the main site.

111 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Turkey
bakircius says

I think, the work is more important. Thumb and preview can be very attractive and cool, but when you open the item, the work must be useful, flexible, easy to edit, as same as shown in preview. And especially in print templates, when the work is printed, it should seems great on any paper.

When work on hard for an item, it is very hard to make an attractive thumb and preview.

When you work hard for an item, and when it is finished. I think, do thumb and preview another day :)

Like mine’s :) I did it all same time :)

abhishek12qpathak
abhishek12qpathak Recent Posts Threads Started
52 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • India
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
abhishek12qpathak says

i think good thumbnail improves sell, more attractive thumbnail ,more clients will and sells will improve….

by
by
by
by
by
by