• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
If quality on the site drops, so will sales.

Just want to take the time to plus a f#$%^ing trillion on this point…

+100000000000000

:) – what worries me is that the flood of disgruntled low-level designers complaining about receiving substantive rejection feedback on their work will, in effect, pressure reviewers to A) speed up their work at the expense of review quality and B ) accept designs/templates that would otherwise be rejected simply because they fear the wrath of the forum. Ultimately, that strategy spells out mediocrity for ThemeForest as well as the other marketplaces.

Mediocrity doesn’t sell design in this kind of marketplace – in fact, a customer is more likely to exit the site if he sees 100 half-baked designs in the store as opposed to 10 quality designs. Don’t get me wrong, there are a LOT more than 10 quality designs here at TF, I just want to keep the bar set high. High expectations should encourage designers/coders to do better work.

Also – and this is my last point – criticism of the review process and anything else on the site should be welcome (the same way we should welcome our own criticism), I just think it needs to take into account the goals of the site, not just the personal agendas of individual authors. 99% of the time, ideas for changing the site that show up in in the forum are indeed intended to improve the site – I don’t think there’s a pandemic of complainers out there or anything.

988 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

@epicera, ”...the flood of disgruntled low-level designers complaining about receiving substantive rejection feedback on their work…”

...i LOLed on this words!!

3507 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
KrownThemes says
@epicera, ”...the flood of disgruntled low-level designers complaining about receiving substantive rejection feedback on their work…” ...i LOLed on this words!!
he is right! if some should stop complaining about their files being rejected and work .. maybe they would upload something good.
900 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
CheshireCat says
he is right! if some should stop complaining about their files being rejected and work .. maybe they would upload something good.
LOL +1 channel that energy boys :D
922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
LOL +1 channel that energy boys :D

Funny :) Glad my little manifesto (manifestito?) could garner some laughs.

1234 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
MBMedia says

What I don’t get is why people even want to put those things up, crappy projects end up with 2, maybe 3 sales, a ton of negative comments and I’d assume hour upon hour of support and complaints.

They’re not rejecting your file, they’re saving you from the marketplace. If the file isn’t professional quality these buyers are going to eat you alive!

900 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
CheshireCat says
What I don’t get is why people even want to put those things up, crappy projects end up with 2, maybe 3 sales, a ton of negative comments and I’d assume hour upon hour of support and complaints. They’re not rejecting your file, they’re saving you from the marketplace. If the file isn’t professional quality these buyers are going to eat you alive!

Its like parents who have the ugliest baby known to mankind though, everyone else runs in fear at the sight of Quasimodo when they pull back the baby blanket but poor naive, in denial mum and dad just smile and say to each other ‘shall we enter Bob in this years beautiful baby competition?’

:D

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
What I don’t get is why people even want to put those things up, crappy projects end up with 2, maybe 3 sales, a ton of negative comments and I’d assume hour upon hour of support and complaints. They’re not rejecting your file, they’re saving you from the marketplace. If the file isn’t professional quality these buyers are going to eat you alive!

Harshly put, but I suspect it’s the truth. I engage in quite a bit of support on what I consider “tried & tested” templates that largely work without a hitch… I validate my code religiously, check over 10 major browsers using a Litmus pro account, and run it across several trusted friends before I post anything – I can’t imagine running support on products with lower standards to begin with… seems like it’s just asking for trouble.

@Cheshire Cat: I won’t touch that baby statement with a 10 foot pole (lol).

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

I feel I need to interject on the way this forum post is going – it started with a simple question – turned into a bit of a bashing for the poor fellow and then rather like an old boys club of patting people on the back.

Look, envato turn over MILLIONS of dollars – period. To wait up to 72 hours for a response for a support ticket (SUPPORT TICKET ) I don’t think is acceptable – I’m not blaming the people that work hard here, not at all, you’re all great. But if my company, that does not turn over millions of dollars made my clients wait 72 hours before replying, I wouldn’t have any.

Maybe they are working on this, maybe not. Maybe they are redeveloping the way the sites run etc great! It’s called investing in your own business to ensure you operate as smoothly as possible, have the best products and best service. It’s what created Envato marketplaces, and has grown the company.

On the subject of bashing those that whine about rejected designs and files – yes there are some that “expect” to be accepted when quite obviously, if they looked around the marketplace it seems obvious the quality is not up to standard. Now, moving forward on this I feel there is a huge divide in the reasons for all those so-called annoying forum posts – there are those that, like myself, have contradicting reviews, then when you fix things it’s a different reviewer and they tell you to change something else. It seems that 90% of the forum posts on this subject are based on the fact that when it comes to the review process it is not entirely based on guidelines, but rather “opinion” – and opinion is wrong. Sales prove a products acceptance to buyers, and if it’s not to their liking then fine – it doesn’t sell. If it is technically correct however, coded to standards, complies with rules / regulations of the site, it should basically be accepted. That’s what I think a reviewer’s job should be.

I am currently using one of the authors’ sites on here that has proven a great resource (and small community) to help each other review designs while being produced to hopefully get to a standard that when submitted at TF it “should” be a straight-in process. If anyone is looking for opinions prior to submission, then take a look – http://reviewmydesign.net (I am not involved in the production or administration of this site – just a user)

I guess the point of my post here is that you should never really say.. well the other companies take longer, it’s not a line of defense in business – rather elevate yourself and set the highest standards possible, so others have to follow – and that is why I became an exclusive author and I am proud to be associated with Envato and their products.

by
by
by
by
by
by