1034 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
BenSheppard says

Sorry if the title is a big vague, couldn’t really think of a correct title.

I’ve been working on a support solution for a few weeks now, it’s currently still in alpha, but I’m curious if I should keep going? Does you feel there needs to be a simple way to support your items?

The idea behind it was to save as much time as possible for authors, buyers could post bugs and others could agree to show the scale of the issue, if many buyers posted the same bug the author could combine them all into one bug to save space and clutter.

There is still a lot to do, I’m mainly working on the functionality right now, but I’d love to hear from you if there needs to be an easy way to give support to your buyers.

I know many people already have means and ways to give support with forums and such, but is that too much maintenance?

2957 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

I useto have a support forum a few years ago based on Vanilla, but it got out of hand with spam and it was too hard to manage, so I closed it down and just offered email support. Now I’m starting up a forum again for each item.

This is a forum created recently with WordPress + bbPress plugin + bbPress Support Forum Plugin + a few tweaks.

Having a support forum is good, sometimes others help eachother, and people can find solutions to past problems.

The biggest problem is trying to get people to use the forum, rather than emailing you directly or posting a comment on the item page. But more of the time it works.

Good luck!

1034 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
BenSheppard says

I imagine no matter what solution you have it might still be hard to make people use it instead of emailing you.

The way I was building it was kind of like a feed, so if a buyer had 100 themes they could see recently updated news from the themes they had bought, such as a bug had been fixed, or a later version had been uploaded etc

167 posts
  • Australia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
michaeldale says

I have a support forum + ticket system + app registration. It works very well.

The way I get people to use it is simple. I have over 50% of my buyers registered on the portal.

How? I give away a couple of free plugins and access to beta versions via the support portal.

You must also be registered to get automatic updates within the application.

People like free stuff :D

3007 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
TNL3542 says

im also useing a ticket support system.. working on creating departments as we speak :)

327 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
PaulWinslow says

Just try a ready-out-of-the-box service like Ticksy (https://www.ticksy.com/) or TenderApp (http://tenderapp.com/)

Both of these are quite popular even for authors who pull big, big numbers.

904 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Marvidude says

Hi Guys. How you all doin, i am currently supporting ThemePunch and ThunderBuddies via ticksy since a few months. What do you guys think about ticksy ? . Is a support forum a better option for a support person ? .

-Tahir

3007 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
TNL3542 says

ticksy is ok.. their are alot of free support software you can download on the internet. i have a support system.. it comes with free live chat.. also im in the process of finding me a forum that i can download and install on my server

3193 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

Thats actually why I wrote Verifi(theres also a few other options)

Originally part of the reason I haven’t written straight bbpress integration is because I though there could be a better system that may need to be custom. Once I add multiple purchase code verification to it, plans are to build an extension for bbpress

But I put up a quick bbpress install with a default theme just so I’d be able to support with on a forum, Ive been updating backend stuff with bbpress there are some really great extensions for it that make a support forum way better.

I’m also changing my support model a little bit which is why Ive decided to keep bbpress.

Pippin has a great article on using bbpress as a support forum

11 posts
  • Australia
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
BTOA says

Emails can get a bit out of hand.

I’m all for a support board with a verification code so only purchasers can sign up and post. Besides having a knowledge base itself, users can help each other out.

by
by
by
by
by
by