343 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
SnoopyIndustries says

Hi guys,

I’d like to get some of your opinions regarding this. Me and my girlfriend are living in a 3 room flat and we were thinking about getting a little puppy (not so much into kids at the moment so it would be a very good replacement for now :)) ). A labrador retriever to be more precise.

I know that he needs walking and exercise and we’ve brainstormed and between us we would have like 3 hours to dedicate to the dog daily indoors and out. Is that + toys like Kong and other thing he needs to twist and turn to get food out of enough for a quiet and well behaved dog? (on the long term, I know that puppies are more like children).

Biggest problem of all is that our office is at home so I worry that he might feel us there and want to interact 24/7.

Any kind of experiences or tips are hugely appreciated.

Cheers!

101 posts quanticalabs.com
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
QuanticaLabs says

From my experience (family has a labrador) is a very demanding and very active dog (and it’s big!) It requires a lot of time and patience in education (as a puppy). Without it? Well… It would be like a 35 kg weight tank in a small apartment. So if you are busy and not have enough time I would advise against.

SnoopyIndustries
SnoopyIndustries Recent Posts Threads Started
343 posts
  • Exclusive Author
SnoopyIndustries says

:))) haha. Funny stuff. yeah I know what a massive destructive force they have, I once noticed a bored lab take a 10cmX10cm thick wood piece 1m long and reduce it to toothpicks in 20 minutes.

I was thinking that if we walk him 3 times / day (15mins + 1-2 hours + 15 mins) + offer him the possibility to walk on a treadmill + a lot of dog toys which can challenge his mental abilities (as mentioned, stuff he must work around in order to get food from) it would pretty much cover his needs. I just don’t want to be completely wrong because we’d be devastated if we would have to give him away, and nobody has 6-7 hrs/day to spend solely on teaching him and petting him.

498 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
simonswiss says

3 walks a day should be fine – at the end of the day it’s what you do in these 3 walks that will dictate if it works or not. It could even work better with only one big, awesome outing and then just a quick pee later in the day.

If you have your eyes glued to your phone and are walking slow while typing e-mails and not interacting with your dog, it may not be enough. Take a tennis ball, heck a tennis ball and a racket if you need, or if you live near water go throw some sticks in – labradors love to swim and are very good at it too (they even have flipper paws).

I survived in a 1-bedroom unit with a corgi, a cat, my wife and newborn son. Corgis are small, but man i don’t know if any breed of dogs need more exercise and attention than these little ratbags.. short legs but surreal energy, day-in day-out.

‘Dusty’ reminds me of the cartoon character “Taz” that spins around like crazy. He looks and acts like him!

\\

The answer for me was to take the skateboard or bike and give him a good/quick exercise. My wife is a crazy runner and she takes him for hours (like now). Get your dog exercised enough, and all he will ask for is a comfy pillow to crash on at home. Oh, and food, too. Always food.

I’d say go for it – it’s a great way to kinda start a family without jumping in the deep end. You won’t regret it, but you have to commit to give him/her some quality time, not just a pee-walk with no interaction. It will be fun for you too!

SnoopyIndustries
343 posts
  • Exclusive Author
SnoopyIndustries says

:)) wow. That’s an amazing family you have there. Thanks so much for taking the time to share the photo and the life XP. You’re a God for having a kid and 2 pets in 1 bedroom anyway, but otherwise I totally agree with the fact that you need to hugely interact. I think you guys must be linked to some spring with water which turns you into a completely Zen being or something.

Basically the 1 long interactive walk/run/exercise outing of 1-1.5 hours was the plan all along + 2 really short “service” outings. + some 30-50minutes indoors for training and play. I hope that’s gonna be enough for him because we want him to be happy ofc.

We really want one and I guess that we’re going to go for it, we’re just a bit scared of screwing it up.

For how long should we expect ruined sleep nights? :))

498 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
simonswiss says

You’re a God for having a kid and 2 pets in 1 bedroom anyway

That was in Switzerland, last year. We have now migrated to Australia and have plenty more space to live.

For how long should we expect ruined sleep nights? :))

It’s a dog, not a kid. You will sleep fine from the get go. Puppies need a lot of sleep too, more than you do.

Buy one of these pee-mats (like nappy rugs) and try train him to pee on it. You might wake up one morning and fine a pee or even poop on the floor, but that’s not exactly a ruined sleep night. Not for anyone that discovered life with human kids!

I remember now trying to create a “grass patch” on our balcony to train our dog to pee on it. It worked great, but we had to leave the balcony door open all (Swiss) winter, lol!

The only thing that your dog will really ruin is your total freedom of move, like catching a last minute weekend flight getaway.. You will need to get organised a bit, find someone to look after the dog or a pet motel. That’s why i say it’s a good step in starting a family.

Where do you live? Beyond just exercise, dogs needs smells, new stuff. A trip to the mountain or the countryside will make their highlight! Mine loved snowboarding with me..

\\

\\

I told you those little legs could run..

Seriously, you will be fine. It’s responsibilities, but it’s not a 24/7 job like children are.

Oh – and good luck with the teenage years haha:

\\

SnoopyIndustries
343 posts
  • Exclusive Author
SnoopyIndustries says

duplicate

SnoopyIndustries
343 posts
  • Exclusive Author
SnoopyIndustries says

:))) hahaha. Oh gosh that is so funny :)). I live 50km away from a mountain resort and 20 away from my parents who are at the country side, so we’re good in those regards.

Not sure if I have a water I’d like my dog to be in nearby :)), but I’ll make sure to check it out.

Your dog’s awesome and I hope I’ll be able to have a similar relationship with mine. I know that having a kid is 100 times worse, that’s why I’m not even considering that :)).

491 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
theAlThemist says

My personal experience – got Golden Retriever (a huge difference in personality with Labrador – it’s a calm breed and much easier to train) 3 months ago.

It is a great dog and an extraordinary friend and addition to the family, but it requires a lot of time and attention at least until you teach it to do the “job” outside. We are going on short walks every 2-3 hours. We are also living in a 3 room flat (living room, bed room and my “office”) and the space is not a problem.

Now 3 months later (she’s already 7 1/2 months old) we are going outside 3 times a day and it’s much easier than the beginning.

If you love animals and dogs – go for it, but don’t forget it comes with a price. In my point of view – it’s worth it!

Best regards, Koev (theAlThemist) and Hera – the golden trouble ;)

5174 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says