24 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Europe
YgorDon says

I have a question for the staff and would also like to know, what other envato members, authors think of this.

Dollar is again losing value, and belive me, it will continue, since Ben Bernanke (chairman of the Federal Reserve, the central bank of the US) recently announced that it will print dollars (massively) with no end in sight. Check Peter Schiff on that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8Fxn4of1dg

This can only mean inflation and dollar further losing value toward other currencies, such as Euro, where I live. This also means we authors are loosing on sales and we are getting less and less for what we produce here!

My opinion there are two options:

1. prices should be adjusted for inflation, they should be increased

2. or better, currency should be switched to a more stable one

I am asking what is Envato going to do about that? I think this is a topic that should be discussed and resolved as it is very important for many of us authors.

Thank you

320 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Malaysia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
billyf says

Eventhough I’m not in the EU, but the exchange rate seems to be getting worse here (i.e. I earn less when it’s converted to my country’s currency). I’m still holding my earnings as I’m still trying to wait for USD to increase in value, but seems like it might not come true anytime soon.

On topic : I doubt Envato will do anything about this though, since they are also earning less when the exchange between USD and AUD drops.

24 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
YgorDon says

Thank you for your comment. Others, please share your thoughts on this, it is important!

201 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
Leupsi says

I totally agree with you YgorDon!
I’m also from the EU and at the last withdrawl i’ve noticed the loosing value of the dollar, as you said.
In my opinion it’s quite hard to jump between currencies on such a big marketplace, but increasing prices could be a possible solution in a world where everything get’s more expensive… ;)

1220 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

+1000000000000

302 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • India
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
DarkLand says

Thanks for your Information.
I think your First option is better. If it happends then envato should increase the price. Then only everyone get benefit.

1220 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

Actually i do not agree on increasing price according to currency. Since constantly shifting prices can be a pain….

384 posts Keep Walking
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
UXbarn says

I agree. I think the first option should be more suitable.

Hope Envato consider about this once the inflation happens and US dollar value is getting lower than some threshold. :)

4136 posts
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
tsafi says

2. or better, currency should be switched to a more stable one

Thank you
We had worst time with the dollar value here on the enveto market before. Don’t waste your time here on this topic, and hope the envato co` will do something with this issue.

Just think of this ,envato will not change their currency value, it will be a big strategy move on their part in accounting matter, or think of this; lets say they will change the currency to EUR, the day after they do that by luck some crazy person jump in to the field game of R.Madrid vs Barca and shoot Mesi and kill him, the day after it happen a civil ware start in Spain and Argentina send there navy to Spain to claim a revenge and on top of this the EUR sink …so what now ? you will ask it back to dollar again ? :P

If you ask me just withdrawal some of the money you need from Paypal and hope for a better days

94 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
webTypo says

I agree

but that would make the prices look weird, we’re talking about 1-4% inflation if we look at the US last year inflation chart. And also within 1 given year there is 2% fluctuation so if Envato want to follow that, it would drive buyers crazy.

so price increase only in every few years with $ 5 steps is much better, of course authors still lose since it’s slow but at least they will catch up.

to change to another currency is only a good idea if that other currency is used by the majority of envato buyers which is not the case i think it’s still USA the biggest market for envato.

by
by
by
by
by
by