• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

Normally I just use FreshKiller, but there was one pesky situation where I decided to file a “takedown” notice with Google. They asked for the infringing link and then also asked for the link to the original work. Given the sensitive nature of this sort of thing, I’m always extremely careful when filling out these type of forms, but 3 weeks later, I get an email from Envato support, forwarding me a message they received from Google stating how the item here on CodeCanyon had been removed from their listings!

To be clear, this wasn’t a dispute between two parties that I lost. Instead, they simply got the links reversed in my claim. I know this because a report was posted to a website called “ChillingEffects”, and in the report, I’m the person listed as making the claim, yet the “infringing item” is listed as the CodeCanyon link, and the “original work” is actually the “infringing item”.

Dealing with this has been a real nightmare. You can’t get Google on the phone for anything unless it’s for AdWords, and the only people answering support questions over in Google Groups are volunteers who can’t actually help. The only course of action I found was to file a “Counter DMCA”, which obviously doesn’t make much sense since I’m person who filed the original claim.

So my advice, don’t ever file a takedown notice with Google, it’s way too risky! And if anyone has ever had their site erroneously removed from Google’s listings, please post your experience.

463 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
rayoflightt says

I had similar situation once when I filed takedown notice against a referral website which contains regular referral links to Themeforest. But I didn’t pay attention and didn’t see those links. Next day I got email from site admin asking me why I reported his website. Then I release I’ve made an error so I filed Counter DMCA explaining it was my mistake. It helped and website was again in Google listing.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
+5 more
CodingJack says

^ so there’s hope after all. How long did it take to get the listing restored?

463 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
rayoflightt says

Maybe few days. Try with Counter DMCA, it should help.

1237 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

That’s bad and sad. I’m wondering how did they messed up the links… I hope you get your links back in the search results.

2933 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Tried changing the item name so the URL changes? Old links will still work (redirect) but it might be enough to get the new URL back into google if other methods are not working.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
+5 more
CodingJack says

Tried changing the item name so the URL changes? Old links will still work (redirect) but it might be enough to get the new URL back into google if other methods are not working.

Sounds like a good solution. Only thing is, it could mean starting over from scratch in terms of SEO (with the possibility that previous backlinks will no longer be counted). So it might make sense to wait and see if the original url can get restored. But if nothing happens within the next month, I’m definitely going to pursue this so thanks for the advice! :)

5734 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

To be clear, this wasn’t a dispute between two parties that I lost. Instead, they simply got the links reversed in my claim. I know this because a report was posted to a website called “ChillingEffects”, and in the report, I’m the person listed as making the claim, yet the “infringing item” is listed as the CodeCanyon link, and the “original work” is actually the “infringing item”.

Ouch!

94 posts
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Europe
Inspoir says

I’m telling you, Billy McMahon is behind all this. :D

billy

251 posts
  • Exclusive Author