584 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

This is bad advice. I’ve sent DMCAs to Google a dozen times and it’s always handled in under 24 hours and accurately. I doubt there’s any human intervention at all because of the volume of requests they must receive. Their DMCA form is designed for automation. Odds are this was your error — not to antagonize but let’s be realistic where blame likely falls. It’s not like a Google employee went in and manually edited the Google index…

475 posts Think pink.
  • Won a competition
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 500+ members
+6 more
pinkzebra says

Had a very similar situation with YouTube. In an email regarding a complaint about another video, I referenced my own video as the legal version. The next response notified me that the content had been removed – both the illegal version and my own. :mad:

When you visited my video it said it was removed due to a copyright notice initiated by myself against myself. How dumb is that? I had to rescind the infringement against myself and the video came back to life a day later. What a headache!

My advice is to never refer to any link of your own in a copyright complaint with Google or YouTube. It will likely get the hook.

3683 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

Guys, why are you still talking about this? GravityDept has informed us that the Almighty Corporations never, ever make mistakes! :D

5325 posts The Dude Abides
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

This is bad advice. I’ve sent DMCAs to Google a dozen times and it’s always handled in under 24 hours and accurately. I doubt there’s any human intervention at all because of the volume of requests they must receive. Their DMCA form is designed for automation. Odds are this was your error — not to antagonize but let’s be realistic where blame likely falls. It’s not like a Google employee went in and manually edited the Google index…

Envato support was sent a notice, which was then forwarded to me. And it’s not like I included Envato’s email address in the report, so if everything was automated, how can that be explained?

My advice is to never refer to any link of your own in a copyright complaint with Google or YouTube. It will likely get the hook.

Yeah you can find a lot of these complaints online for YouTube. This is good advice. If there’s ever a next time, I’ll be submitting a time-stamped zip from DropBox :D

127 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
webfector says

Envato support was sent a notice, which was then forwarded to me. And it’s not like I included Envato’s email address in the report, so if everything was automated, how can that be explained?

Google sends an automatic email to the website that had the infringed content. They usually just mass-mail to info@, support@, webmaster@, and so forth. They also notify via Google Webmaster Tools.

So really, it could be automated. But I doubt that they would let something as serious as a DMCA notice go without human review.

5325 posts The Dude Abides
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

So really, it could be automated. But I doubt that they would let something as serious as a DMCA notice go without human review.

Maybe sometimes it’s automated and other times it isn’t. Because I can’t imagine you could submit a DMCA for Apple.com and their listing would suddenly disappear. Envato might not be as big as Apple in the eyes of Google, but it’s certainly big enough.

It also took 3 weeks for any action to take place, and my “counter-DMCA” is going on 5 days now, so much longer than 24 hours in both cases.

Anyway, I can only share my experience. What anyone else chooses to do is up to them. But for me, the end result was just way too damaging to ever bother with it again.

5905 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Guys, why are you still talking about this? GravityDept has informed us that the Almighty Corporations never, ever make mistakes! :D

GravityDept doesn’t says that way, he/she points that “automated methods” are bug free. I still disagree – especially after seeing individual complaints! :D

It also took 3 weeks for any action to take place, and my “counter-DMCA” is going on 5 days now, so much longer than 24 hours in both cases.

Considering the amount of damage these errors/mistake cause, I wont take the risk of using Google’s service for this – untill they announce about bug fix or something.

by
by
by
by
by
by