217 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
dilab says

Again my item is rejected, however I am giving up, just to clear some of my doubts, so next time I won’t wast 2 days time to make something which can not be approved.Here are some of my doubts.

I made a JavaScript navigation kinda of item, and it is rejected and reason was “there’s no fallback for people without JavaScript”, and indeed the item won’t run at all without JavaScript, but my question is I am making a JavaScript item, isn’t it supposed to run on browser with JavaScript? And I have seen a lot of JavaScript items on Codecanyon, which will not work without JavaScript. So what is the requirement for JavaScript item? I am really confused.

I hope you guys are willing to solve my doubts, really a bit frustrated here. : (

296 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
theninja says
I made a JavaScript navigation kinda of item, and it is rejected and reason was “there’s no fallback for people without JavaScript”… So what is the requirement for JavaScript item? I am really confused.

The reviewers aren’t always 100% clear about what they mean. No biggie… I had my first item soft-rejected for the same reason. In this case I would take that as the reviewer saying you need to add a “This page needs JavaScript enabled to be viewed” message of some sort for those who have it turned off, as obviously they can’t expect you to write a whole new JavaScript-less version if all of it’s functionality is from JavaScript. Hope that cleared things up a bit for you. :)

217 posts
+4 more
dilab says
I made a JavaScript navigation kinda of item, and it is rejected and reason was “there’s no fallback for people without JavaScript”… So what is the requirement for JavaScript item? I am really confused.
The reviewers aren’t always 100% clear about what they mean. No biggie :)... I had my first item soft-rejected for the same reason. In this case I would take that as the reviewer saying you need to add a “This page needs JavaScript enabled to be viewed” message of some sort for those who have it turned off, as obviously they can’t expect you to write a whole new JavaScript-less version if all of it’s functionality is from JavaScript. Hope that cleared things up a bit for you.

Thanks theninja I guess I am going to submit my first Javascript item third time and will add just “ ” tag content there.

217 posts
+4 more
dilab says
The reviewers aren’t always 100% clear about what they mean. No biggie :)... I had my first item soft-rejected for the same reason. In this case I would take that as the reviewer saying you need to add a “This page needs JavaScript enabled to be viewed” message of some sort for those who have it turned off, as obviously they can’t expect you to write a whole new JavaScript-less version if all of it’s functionality is from JavaScript. Hope that cleared things up a bit for you.
Thanks theninja I guess I am going to submit my first Javascript item third time and will add just “ ” tag content there.

I mean the noscript tag

94 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
JimmyP says

I think I need to clear up a few misunderstandings here.

First, JavaScript items are (inherently) not going to work with JavaScript disabled—obviously, that’s absolutely fine and is expected.

But, what we do expect, especially with items that offer content (and are not just decorative enhancements) is for the item to degrade gracefully – i.e. there should be some level of functionality when JS is disabled. This may be hard to grasp, but if you create something by progressively enhancing what’s already there then this becomes much easier.

E.g. You build a regular HTML page with a regular list of images – this is usable for the users without JavaScript – they can see the images. Then, you add some JavaScript which makes all the images appear in a slider. Doing it this way will allow the users without JS to view the images, and will enhance the user experience of the users that do have JS.

We do let some items through that don’t degrade but these will typically be decorative enhancements that are not very important to the content of the site. For example, a Twitter widget that depends on JS is okay because the website does not depend on that content being there – it’s not absolutely necessary for the user to see those tweets – it’s just a contextual enhancement.

But, a navigation menu MUST degrade. Links/navigation are the core of the web. Adding these things via JS immediately locks out a bunch of important audiences – disabled users, security-aware corps that disable JS, search engine spiders… etc.

296 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
theninja says
I think I need to clear up a few misunderstandings here. First, JavaScript items are (inherently) not going to work with JavaScript disabled—obviously, that’s absolutely fine and is expected. But, what we do expect, especially with items that offer content (and are not just decorative enhancements) is for the item to degrade gracefully – i.e. there should be some level of functionality when JS is disabled. This may be hard to grasp, but if you create something by progressively enhancing what’s already there then this becomes much easier.

My mistake, sorry for misinforming you there dilab :S
Admittedly everything you mentioned is common sense to most JavaScript developers, myself included, just try to understand that for some developers there are other variables (pun intended!) to take into consideration and it can be a bit of a stab in the dark as there aren’t any specific rules/standards set out at the moment (on Envato that is). I’m pretty sure he now knows why his item was rejected so problem solved…. I don’t think the superior tone was really needed though :P as this is meant to be a “friendly environment” but yeah, there are bound to be misunderstandings if there’s a lack of communication. Anyway thanks for clearing that up.

217 posts
+4 more
dilab says

Hi JimmyP Thanks for the explanation, and finally I sincerely accepted the rejection. I will enhance the item and I believe someday it will be published here.

by
by
by
by
by
by