• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Basspartout says

Hey all,
Since the topic “Backups” is always essential for us I thought I’d share a quick good thing I figured out for me today.
Although I have an external hd for my backups, I am not ( yet ;) hehe ) in the lucky situation to have several of them lying around and with the price increase since half a year ago “due to a deluge in one of the Thailand factories” (yeah, we all believe THAT ! :chuckle: ) I find myself hesitating to buy another one.
I’m also a little bit uncomfortable with having so much data on a thing that when I drop it, .... well we all heard more than one story about that. :stress:

On the other hand I’m really lazy when it comes to burning dvds and I don’t trust that medium either.
So today I came across an article praising the “forgotten” dvd ram and I gave it a try and it works really well for me. It’s like an additional little hard disk and I can simply drag and drop stuff onto it. It’s fast, can easily be erased and overwritten up to 100.000 times and it is said to be much more reliable than the common dvd-r/dvd+r , not to mention dvd rw.

So if anybody is still using WIN XP and looking for cheap additional backup method, most multi dvd drives can handle DVD rams very well and I bought a 3pack Verbatim for 5,99 € today which is okay for a rewritable medium. (you have to download an additional driver for XP and deactivate the automatic cd-burning function in “My Computer/DVD-Drive/Properties/Record” for the simple drag and drop to work).

PS: It speaks volumes that LG , the manufacturer of my very common DVD drive doesnt even mention this on the homepage nor in support, and it is not described in the manual! In Contrast, I read dozens of comments from happy users on the web who said that DVD ram is still their first choice when it comes to longterm backups of important data.
Anybody of you using DVD RAM ?

680 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Poland
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
FxProSound says

From my experience. I have large studio backup package (over 500 disks) on DVD and I won’t continue this on this media type. After 5-6 years 30-40 % of DVD are impossible to read (mostly the cheapest ones). Some on CD are still readable. I prefer hard disks.

240 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+4 more
BCrutchfield Reviewer says

You’d probably be better off just buying a $25 32GB USB flash drive than doing that method. They have around 4x the capacity of a dual-layer DVD , are practically indestructible, and are much easier to carry around. I’ve dropped mine countless times, and its gotten to the point where I just take it for granted that it is still going to work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171499
911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
Carmen says

I have an external hard drive, which suits me perfectly. It’s a good option when you have a laptop.

161 posts
  • Jersey
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
liambradbury says

I’m looking into using cloud storage sites – this way I can keep everything safe and access it anywhere in the world, only problem is that it costs money per month on most sites…. but hotmail have the skydrive which is quite useful and thats free

31 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Poland
  • Exclusive Author
yasiekk says

I guess it all depends on the data amount. Up to 1 TB, I think external HDD ’s are the best option, considering the price, reliability and the read/write speed. Any type of Internet storage is not a best option in my opinion, unless the provider guarantees no data loss. And unfortunately – remote servers are more prone to failure and data loss than a HDD kept safely in your closet. Unless you keep it close to strong magnets. :)

301 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Sweden
Reachground says

But dude, Windows XP and DVD backup in the same post. WTF ! ;)

No really. I know it’s a cheap option but I’ve had too many dvd’s/cd’s break down. Can you really do with a couple of GB’s? I bought a NAS second hand recently. 4,5 TB with a RAID 5 . I backup more often to an external USB -drive though. And another external when I’m out working for clients. Call me paranoid but losing 15 years of work would make me cry to say the least.

229 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Germany
Boldtrax says

I just recently switched to Livedrive, which is imho the best cloud offer out there. gives you etween 2-5 Terrabyte!!! depending on your needs and your wallet of course. Long term I consider this as the safest method. https://www.livedrive.com/

607 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Germany
Basspartout says

Thank you all for your answers :)
very interesting read. I think to me it’s more a psychological thing :chuckle:
I agree that an external HD is the best solution, but since all my Backup CDs from like 15 years ago or so are still working, I’d love to have something similar and like I said, DVD ram is said to be far more reliable and lasting than regular DVDs. With those I made the same experiences like some of you, a significant percentage are either impossible to read or have dropouts/read errors.
The whole cloud thing, I still have to get used to it. I’d like to hold something “solid” in my hands that cant easily break when it falls down so for me the DVD ram and USB sticks seems to be the best solution.

by
by
by
by
by
by