• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

Has anyone checked out Brimelow’s latest video? I found it very interesting since I had never experimented with this. After watching it, however, I don’t think I’ll be implementing it that often. For example, he talks about lowering the frame rate when nothing’s happening, but from my experience when nothing’s going on CPU usage is virtually non-existent. He also talks about Event.MOUSE_LEAVE, but this scares me. For example, if you have an animation running and the user heads toward the address bar and you’re animation suddenly starts running at 5 fps, they’re likely to notice and think somethings weird with your site.

Any thoughts?

4247 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
Aw_Shucks says

Just a thought. Maybe it could be useful when you need a smoother animation, then setting the fps higher at that time would make it smoother. It doesn’t really have to be a drastic change in FPS , but slight changes might work well.

5541 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says
Any thoughts?

Yes, lowering the fps can be helpful rarely in some situations but not going to be a perfect solution.

155 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Ukraine
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Semenov says

It can be very usefull, I just tested this method on my website and it works really cool.
CPU Usage with fps controling.

Without controlling fps it’s just straight line.

Brimelow knows well, that new idea is well forgotten old. :)

4136 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
tsafi says
Any thoughts?
It’s a very good idea but as your project get more complex you going to have your own personal memory problem with all the objects you have on the stage when you mess with the frame rate. Also CPU is a subjective matter, what will show on my CPU 20 % on other computers can show 100% since we don’t have as flashers a standard CPU measure, not to mention on complex OPP like matrix 3D atc` this method going to face some problem .

I start to use Tweensy as my main Tween engine from now on ,you have there this option (didn’t check Tweenlight ) Time based vs Frame based.

quote.

” When using frame based animations you can define how many seconds per frame are applied on each ENTER _FRAME. So if you wanted to match the FLA frame rate of 30FPS the SPF would be 1/30. Or if you wanted to double the frame rate this would be (1/30) multiplied by 2.”

But still I will go with this on simple App.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
Motionreactor says
Any thoughts?
It’s a very good idea but as your project get more complex you going to have your own personal memory problem with all the objects you have on the stage when you mess with the frame rate. Also CPU is a subjective matter, what will show on my CPU 20 % on other computers can show 100% since we don’t have as flashers a standard CPU measure, not to mention on complex OPP like matrix 3D atc` this method going to face some problem .

I start to use Tweensy as my main Tween engine from now on ,you have there this option (didn’t check Tweenlight ) Time based vs Frame based.

quote.

” When using frame based animations you can define how many seconds per frame are applied on each ENTER _FRAME. So if you wanted to match the FLA frame rate of 30FPS the SPF would be 1/30. Or if you wanted to double the frame rate this would be (1/30) multiplied by 2.”

But still I will go with this on simple App.

Time based is most definitely a more reliable solution across multiple CPU ’s… but really it depends on how critical the project is.

263 posts
  • Antarctica
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
x360c says

I think messing with framerate through EventListeners is dangerous either way, I’ll just still to a constant framerate.

6763 posts
  • Italy
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

maybe adobe will make this dynamic framerate automatically in the future. Like how Brimelow point it out about the videos at some point in the tutorial.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
Motionreactor says
maybe adobe will make this dynamic framerate automatically in the future. Like how Brimelow point it out about the videos at some point in the tutorial.

In a sense, some of the dynamic processor management is already happening. Have you ever turned on ‘redraw regions’ in the flash player? You can see how flash dynamically only redraws regions which have changed.

6763 posts
  • Italy
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

In a sense, some of the dynamic processor management is already happening. Have you ever turned on ‘redraw regions’ in the flash player? You can see how flash dynamically only redraws regions which have changed.

:D Actually I did. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by