• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Community Moderator
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+6 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says

Hey folks, i’ve been a bit busy lately, among other things, working on a little something i think a lot of you may be interested in.

Some of you may remember E World. A little project digitalscience and i developed; a virtual world for members of the envato marketplace where you can walk around and chat. It did get a bit of hype, 225 members registered total, and a few times my server crashed.

One of the problems with e-world is it took up a lot of screen real-estate, people had to have a window open at all times to keep up to scratch with the goings on, i decided this needed sorting out, and that we could maybe give e-world another shot…

So over the past month or so, i’ve been developing a ‘facebook style’ chat system, where you can remained logged in whenever you have a browser open on one of the marketplaces. It’s made quite a lot of progress, and i’m ready to start reeling in testers for it. Here’s a screenshot:

It comes in the form of a greasemonkey script, which means that if you have google chrome, it will work, and if you have firefox, it will work if you install the greasemonkey plugin. I think you can also get it working in other browsers somehow, havent looked too much into it though.

In parallel to the development of this gresemonkey script, i’ve been completely rebuilding the back-end of the system and building an api for e-world (which is what the script uses) so we may possibly be able to see some apps that allow you to login and chat using eworld in the near future. :-)

So I’m looking for testers…

Anyway the point of this thread is that i want to start testing the script with the members of the marketplaces, to help look for bugs, but mostly to test the stability of my server when there’s a strain of a lot of ‘connections’ at once… So the plan is i’ll get 10 or so testers, see how it goes for a few days, and then increase the number of testers… repeat this process, until i make it public. Also i’d love for the testers to be able to give constructive feedback.

So… question is, who wants to be a tester? Leave a post in this thread if you’re interested in becoming a tester with reasons why i should pick you, i’ll pick out the people giving the best reasons as to why they should be picked and i’ll email them with more info (i’ll also post in this thread when i send emails).

Also one more thing… i don’t want to see messages being sent through my profile page regarding this, if anyone does, they wont become a tester ;-)

308 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Netherlands
Pandebus says

Oo, pick me, pick me :D

reasons:

- I’m the first poster :)
- I’m one of the 225 registered peepz :)
- uhm… I’m not very good with code or so, but I can give constructive feedback in German, Dutch AND English! (oh, and also from a user-point-of-view i.s.o a coder-point-of-view)

I’m clearly a born tester :D

806 posts
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Lebanon
  • Exclusive Author
MoeHaydar says

reaper I forgot my password:P Can you reset it ot reset my user or even delete it and ill create a new one!

If you want i can test you chat system

cheers

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more

Forgot to mention it doesn’t matter if you’ve forgotten your password, the script includes a ‘API Login’ button which fetches your API key from your settings page and the server checks it is valid and allows you to login :-)

I’ll probably email you guys later on (today or tomorrow) with more info :-)

3650 posts Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

Sounds awesome! The previous version of E-world was great as well, but you got it spot on: it required an entire browser window, and quite frankly a chat system like that doesn’t function. I’d love for this to work out and stay more popular after the initial week, though – sounds like a great system! Interesting approach, using Greasemonkey and an api – that might lead to some interesting apps in the future ;)

Oh, and of course you can count me in a tester :)

2509 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

Im in for testing :)

8119 posts Community Moderator
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

I’d be up for it but a live chat will kill my productivity :P

Great effort though Sam! :)

2509 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

The reason is I always try and break all my files not literally. If theres an error ill find it.

158 posts
  • Canada
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
Assasain14 says

I’m up for testing, not sure of any good reasons why you should pick me though. :) Maybe cause I’m usually on the forums so I’ll be available a lot?

4335 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Community Moderator
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more

I’d be up for it but a live chat will kill my productivity :P Great effort though Sam! :)

Haha that’s fair enough :-D

I’m up for testing, not sure of any good reasons why you should pick me though. :) Maybe cause I’m usually on the forums so I’ll be available a lot?

That’s a prefect reason ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by