603 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+2 more
tacoMusic says

I know working out sales trends is tough, particularly over such a short period, but we’re finding our tracks are getting used less and less after they’ve passed their ‘honeymoon’ period on the homepage and while they’re high up in category searches despite marketing them constantly.

Based on a quick search, seems like the majority of other new authors are finding the same (we joined 3 years ago but haven’t used the account until Nov last year because of other work commitments), but it’s confusing considering we’re trying to promote via Twitter a fair amount…maybe YouTube and FB hold the key, I don’t know…

Scott mentioned in one of his threads that it’s about marketing yourself in a unique way, so we’ll try that next, but damn it’s hard work improving sales per month let alone getting a steady stream of sales.

50 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
Kerosene-Music says

Ive noticed the same thing..its like tracks sell a few initially, then they sink to the bottom and dont get views. Ive done some youtube vids, and tweet releases ect…started some tunes on soundcloud….I just dont get why its slowed down so much. Im going to add tones of links everywhere this week and see if that helps.

852 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
gbiasillo says

What kind of page hit figures are you seeing for your tracks? My featured song currently sites as 818 views (645 unique) with only a single sale, which was prior to it being featured. It’s had lots of complimentary comments from fellow authors here but I guess it’s not commercially viable for the buyers. Please share you numbers :)

603 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
tacoMusic says

... Im going to add tones of links everywhere this week and see if that helps.

Be a little careful that you don’t get labeled as spam / a troll as those things can backfire sometimes (I know, because it happened to me!). That said, it depends where and how you’re generating those back links – if they’re of interest, then it could work well.

How about email lists? Despite offering some free downloads, it seems hard to get people to sign up to mailing lists, but I would have thought its a great way of updating you’re followers (especially as twitter is such a busy place that it’s not certain your followers even see your tweets I think).

@gbiasillo – did you get those stats from the Envato stats or a third party service? Happy enough to share numbers, but I suspect you’ll be massively underwhelmed when I do! :)

852 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+3 more
gbiasillo says

Yes, stats are from Envato.

180 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Pianojungle says

I get around 60 views a day when a file is on the home screen and practically none when it’s on AJ for more then 5 days. So Kerosene-Music please let me know when you see an improvement on your sales.

748 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+4 more
guitarjock says

It seems to me, especially for new authors, that you have to continually put out new and high quality material to get a steady stream of sales. Which could result in authors simply releasing a lot of lower quality material just to generate sales. I’ve noticed that other stock sites put a limit on how many songs an author can put out during a given period. That is probably their method to control an overload of mediocre stock audio on their site. I don’t really love the idea of being limited, but it may have its benefits.

The best thing you can do here is a mix of everything. Put out only your best material, and market yourself with as many appropriate marketing channels as you can. Not just Twitter. YouTube is the most consumed media on the planet! It would be a mistake to not utilize it. However, don’t forget when marketing on YouTube, or any channel for that matter, that you have to give your followers a reason to come back and stay loyal to your brand. That’s right. You are a brand. Start thinking like one.

Anyway, I hope that helps someone.

365 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has referred 1+ members
+4 more
musicguy says

Well said guitarjock.

50 posts
  • Located in Canada
Kerosene-Music says

my best selling track for March has 61 total visits and 35 unique visits. I dont have this track promoted anywhere else yet online. youtube ect….

some of this data isn’t cashed yet..even older tracks. Not sure how to make the best use of this information. Any help might get me going in the right direction. This portfolio has sold well in March (well according to what? According to since starting I guess…) It’s my exclusive one that’s not moving at the moment.

22 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
lexographics says

Hi all,

Just a thought…
Would it be better for the majority of AJ composers if buyers were presented with music on an equal footing (a level playing field), and not persuaded just by how many sales a track had made?
If we didn’t display No. of Sales to buyers, but just to ourselves as authors & composers, buyers wouldn’t necessarily gravitate to the big sellers on numbers alone.
When you have menu items which say ‘top-selling authors / tracks’ or ‘most popular’, etc., for buyers to look at, why would they spend much time searching around? “I need something happy and motivational in a hurry for my business presentation… Hey look! Author X has sold 65 of those this week and is top of the list. It sounds OK, is the same price as those others with no sales, and I’m in a hurry, so I’ll buy it too.”

I guess if I was Soundroll, Tim McMorris and the other week-in-week-out ‘top ten’ authors, I might not agree, but for the rest of us it could spread the business around a bit more.

I’m probably whistling in the wind on this one, but thought it was worth saying.

by
by
by
by
by
by