973 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

hey,

I was wondering if people could give me any recommendations on earphones (wired or wireless). I have a budget up to say 200 USD but willing to go higher if they have good quality or awesome style.

if you could post the link to the manufacturers or a amazon link that would be awesome

Thanks,

3329 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

beast solo if you want to jump to the studio version Id so do it there noise canceling

1206 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
chiccosinalo says

beats by dre, studio or solo no questions

1488 posts LoveThemes
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
LoveThemes says

Sennheiser HD-580’s

2660 posts Community Team
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+19 more
contrastblack Envato team says

I think you need to also share a bit of your exact needs… there are good headphones, and great headphones, but none is a great headphone – all-round. Beats by dre, well yeah, a good way to spend a lot of money for some decent bass. Not the best, not by far. However, as I don’t wish to start a flamewar, as beats by dre have been marketed in a very apple-esque way, I’ll just consider that my personal unimportant opinion. I did however try both the solo’s and the studios, they are both decent, but not worth the money (at least to me).

Regarding the needs I mentioned, as I said above, if you just want them for pleasure and strong bass, and want to go with the flow, go for beats by dre, but bump up to PRO . Most consistent sound, best materials, and an actual “top of the line”.

If you want them for gaming… there’s a broad range of accurate and well-balanced headphones, out of which I can strongly recommend Steelseries Siberia, any version you get. Other than that, pretty much all major gaming hardware brands brought their own competition to the market, such as Razer Orca, or Roccat Kave, and many more… pretty much the same quality in different brands and colors. If you expect the same bass as in the beats by dre, be prepared to pay more though.

Lastly, music enjoyment… well, here’s where I rather stfu, as I have no proper experience, and I’m sure a guru from over at AudioJungle will be better suited to give recommendations where needed.

Hope this helps, and for the sake of cleanliness of this thread, I apologize in advance if my comments regarding beats by dre end up offending anyone, and kindly ask the offended ones to contact me personally through my personal page for spamming and flaming. Thank you! :D

973 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
aaranmcguire says

@contrastblack

Thanks for the mega reply, its always good to read long content. Its mainly for music (Spotify) and Youtube, and possibly if there was a version with a mic then Skype but thats not a massive thing.. I was looking more for in-ear but over ear are ok.

I might go for beats but i will leave it a while to see what other people say. :)

296 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
CodeFusion says

I’m not impressed by Dre phones – period – and I love Dre – I have his entire discography. I did side-by-side comparison of his phones and a $50 pair of JVC . Sounded the same – JVC had better mid-range response during hard bass hits. Deep wobble bass sounded better in Dre.

If your out to blow dough – might as well go all the way to get Bose! They’ll take you for a bigger ride than Dre.

What I hear in headphones and you hear in headphones are two different things regardless of the fact that I’ve lost my hi-pitched hearing do to bass competitions – and generally having my system too loud.

There is no “One size fits all” headphone. If you want reduced background noise, get phones that cover your entire ear – yeah – the big ones – aka “Studio Style Phones”.

Go to your local market and try on each and every pair you can – even the cheap ones. I know your going to laugh at me, but some of the best bass I have ever heard from headphones have come from a pair of phones that costs $9.00 USD . [Sony MDR -W08] They look weak and flimsy, but the fit is sort-of comfortable under a baseball cap and the bass is stellar. If they fit you well, they can even block out background noise.

Most importantly find a pair that are comfortable for you and the length of time you will be wearing them. Some squash your ears into your skull which is mildly discomforting. Some feel like they are trying to drive a train through your ear canal after a few minutes in your ear.

I’m willing to give a little quality for sustained comport – after all, if you don’t wear them because they hurt, whats the point of spending so much money on them?

Audiobooks don’t sound so well on phones made for bass – just the same as bass music doesn’t sound well on phones made for audiobooks/phone conversations.

Also if you want sound quality, stay away from phones that have any “equalizer” or “bass boost” built into them. They are trying to cram a complicated system into a small package – which they always seem to place in the most inconvenient place on the cord. Let your audio device control the “eq” as these are often better suited to do so.

Also, take note that “studio phones” often have a 1/4” plug and most consumer devices have an 1/8” jack. If you buy an adapter – make sure that it is “stereo to stereo” instead of being “stereo to mono”.

Also, if you are listening to poor quality audio 128 bitrate or below – its going to sound crappy no matter how expensive your headphones are. Personally, I consider audio at a 320 bitrate to be marginally above crappy – but that’s the audiophile in me.

For testing audio systems I like to play “Papercut” or “Cure for the Itech” by Linkin Park. “Normal” bass, good mids and highs! For testing subs/bass I use “Solo” by Iyaz. Drop them on your mp3 player and take it with you when you try on different phones.

Just my 2¢ from a life time of experience being an audiophile.

Bradley

301 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
Reachground says

Creating audio for more than 15 years has tought me one thing, ears are highly personal. What sounds good to one person sounds different to another. Go to the store and take a listen. It’s worth your time.

833 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+8 more
wpbakery says
I’m not a sound pro, but a very happy Sennheiser user. http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_dj-headphones_004974 I like how they block sound from outside, so even with quite music I get my privacy.
148 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
enstyled says

I could also recommend Sennheiser. I use the HD555 . The sound is great.

by
by
by
by
by
by