284 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Shellbot says

I’m sure lots of you here are more experienced than me in these things and could save me hours of comparing feature lists so…

I’m looking for an easy-to-use (from the admin’s point of view) eCommerce platform to sell digital goods. Since there will be no physical products for sale, I need something that won’t, for example, insist on asking every customer for their address. Paypal payments are a must, any other options on top of that are just a bonus. I’d also like the site to have a “downloads area” where customers can go back and redownload their bought files, if possible.

I Googled around a bit and saw lots of people recommending Prestashop, but then it seems from their support forum that many people aren’t happy with how that handles downloads so perhaps something else would be more suitable.

I’m no stranger to hacking and tweaking but just looking for the best platform to start from really, any recommendations of where to start looking will be very much appreciated :)

56 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
amandasmith86 says

Have you given BigCommerce.com a look? It has Sage Integration and can easily be setup to sell digital products (downloads).

Has a free 15 day trial to see if you like it. We find it’s amazing and are really happy with it.

Im a nobody.. nobodys perfect.. therefore IM PERFECT !!!
595 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
theAlThemist says

Almost every e-commerce solution have the ability to sell downloadable content – Magento, OpenCart, PrestaShop etc.

However, for a simple store like this I think Magento is too heavy.

Probably OpenCart would be the best solution, however, I am not sure you can disable the address part of the checkout process.

It is possible, but some customization would be required.

Also, there are third-party modules available for a “quick checkout” in the extensions sections for all of them (Magento, OpenCart, PrestaShop).

Frankly speaking, saving those few hours for comparing isn’t a good approach. ;)

Every system have their pros and cons and one is better than the others for one type of store and the other is better than the first one for other needs.

284 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Shellbot says

Frankly speaking, saving those few hours for comparing isn’t a good approach. ;)

Don’t worry I won’t be blindly using the first thing that gets mentioned :p

It was more that people might suggest things I’d not heard of, or know that one of the popular ones was no good for this type of thing, or whatever. Can’t hurt to ask anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys :)

by
by
by
by
by
by