• Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
ESM says

Hey,

i just found that Kickstarter Project and thought why not showing it the Envato Community. Should be pretty interesting for some of the web/dev – related Users :)

Have a look

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1335405006/editr-web-based-code-editor?ref=category

best Regards

1179 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

Am I being stupid and missing something here? The code editor looks pretty rubbish and it requires FTP details to access and modify the files, so why not just use an FTP client and your favourite code editor?

Honestly I’m struggling to see what use this would give me over simply doing what I already do?

I’m hoping someone will set me straight and give me a realistic idea of why / when this would be useful :)

45 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
MonoLabs says

At first, I had the same reaction than Tommus above me, this really doesn’t achieve anything more or doesn’t do a better job than a classic FTP client + code editor workflow.

But I do see interest in it if you are on a computer somewhere, that isn’t yours (so that computer might not have an FTP client + code editor installed), and you urgently need to change something.

BUT again, the editor should at least have some type of syntax coloring, because editing it so plainly isn’t interesting at all, I’d rather go through downloading and installing my favorite text editor (Sublime Text, my love) on anyone’s computer.

3192 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says
https://c9.io is a good web based editor.
no-thumbnail
arkdesignstudios Recent Posts Threads Started
11 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
arkdesignstudios says

At first, I had the same reaction than Tommus above me, this really doesn’t achieve anything more or doesn’t do a better job than a classic FTP client + code editor workflow.

But I do see interest in it if you are on a computer somewhere, that isn’t yours (so that computer might not have an FTP client + code editor installed), and you urgently need to change something.

BUT again, the editor should at least have some type of syntax coloring, because editing it so plainly isn’t interesting at all, I’d rather go through downloading and installing my favorite text editor (Sublime Text, my love) on anyone’s computer.

Underneath the video, it says the text editor shown in the video isn’t the final editor. The final text editor will have syntax highlighting, line numbering, etc.

by
by
by
by
by
by