5219 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Basically, it sounds like you’re looking for a single, versatile lens. In which case, I’d be inclined to go a little shorter if it’s for a 7D. You’ve got roughly a movie 35mm frame, not a stills 35mm frame, so a lens of a given focal length will effectively project a smaller field of view onto the chip. You’ll find your tele end at 135mm feels super tele, but the widest angle you can go is roughly portraity – like a 50mm lens on a full-size chip camera.

For filming, a wide angle’s often quite important, especially if you’re shooting hand-held – and especially for a small-bodied, light, DSLR type camera, where there’ll be a lot of wobble unless you put it on a nice big shoulder rig with some fat weights on there. The longer the lens, the more the effect of your unstable shooting become apparent.

I’m using the Canon 18-135mm on my 600D, which has a similar chip. It’s pretty good and pretty versatile. It doesn’t go super wide or super tele. If ever I’m moving with the camera, I’ll be shooting at the wide end of the zoom lens. I generally use it as a domestic stills camera and for filming the odd test. If I’ve got a proper shoot on, there’s usually a budget for a more up-market camera.

I can’t remember the widest f-stops for the Canon 18-135mm off the top of my head, but I remember when I was looking into it, they’re about the same as most other stuff in the same price range.

5219 posts
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

I think the lens works on 7d but if you want to upgrade later to a professional canon like 5d it won`t work on it.

Are the mounts different? I was under the impression that they’re the same. Could be wrong though.

18 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Canada
gigidread says

I think the lens works on 7d but if you want to upgrade later to a professional canon like 5d it won`t work on it.
Are the mounts different?

No, the mounts are the same, but the “EF-S” can’t be mounted on a camera with a full frame sensor… If you try this is what would happen…

1578 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
AndrVlad says

By the way if 7D is not deceided yet or if you can change I highly advice to go with cheaper but better (for video) 600D (Rebel T3i). Cost of 600D is almost half of 7D but you will get same sensor and same video quality, same features (with Magic lantern) + you get Full HD crop which is adding 3x for any lens you have.

I sold my 2 year old 60D recently and bought new and cheaper 600D. Now my EF-S 17-55 2.8 lens works like 17-165 and my 70-200 works like 70-600.

So if you look for complex solution my recomendation to go with 600D+EF-S17-55 2.8 which is better then 7D+kit EF-S 28-135 for the litle cheaper or about the same total price. You will have wider angle (28mm end on kit lens is definitely not enough for some city/nature shots) as well as more zoom (with 600D), much better low light with 2.8 aperture and better quality lens overall.

Once again by believe based on my experience and other opinions, 600D is best solution from Canon as of today for the price if we are talking about video (7D is definetly higher for photo but little lower for video).

Good luck! :-)

Best Regards, Andrey

5219 posts
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Are the mounts different?
No, the mounts are the same, but the “EF-S” can’t be mounted on a camera with a full frame sensor… If you try this is what would happen…

Gotcha… the design of the back of the lens doesn’t take the full frame into account. Still, it looks like you might just get away with it at 18mm. But I take your point.

5219 posts
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

I sold my 2 year old 60D recently and bought new and cheaper 600D. Now my EF-S 17-55 2.8 lens works like 17-165 and my 70-200 works like 70-600.

So if you look for complex solution my recomendation to go with 600D+EF-S17-55 2.8 which is better then 7D+kit EF-S 28-135 for the litle cheaper or about the same total price. You will have wider angle (28mm end on kit lens is definitely not enough for some city/nature shots) as well as more zoom (with 600D), much better low light with 2.8 aperture and better quality lens overall.

How does the 60D or the 600D give you more zoom than the 7D for a given lens? Just curious.

7D CMOS APS -C 22.3×14.9mm 17.9MP
600D -CMOS APS -C 22.3×14.9mm 17.9MP
60D -CMOS APS -C 22.3×14.9mm 17.9MP

Am I missing something here?

Or are you talking about the difference between the 2 lenses you mention? But even there the 28-135 should give you approximately 5x zoom and the 17-55 approximately only 3x.

1578 posts
+6 more
AndrVlad says

Felt,

60D, 7D, 650D, and other Canon crop cameras has the same 1.6 crop sensor. And all of them use lines/rows skiping to make Full HD video from 18mp sensor.

600D is the only DSLR camera from Canon today (even Mark 5D III does not) has additional mode when center part of 18mpix censor used for Full HD video. So it i like you have additional 3x added to the lens. That is why my 17-55 is like 17-165 (or like 24-240 if compare to Full size cencor).

Besides additional zoom, censor crop helps to improve image quality since line skiping adding moire.

Best Regards, Andrey

5219 posts
+11 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Felt,

60D, 7D, 650D, and other Canon crop cameras has the same 1.6 crop sensor. And all of them use lines/rows skiping to make Full HD video from 18mp sensor.

600D is the only DSLR camera from Canon today (even Mark 5D III does not) has additional mode when center part of 18mpix censor used for Full HD video. So it i like you have additional 3x added to the lens. That is why my 17-55 is like 17-165 (or like 24-240 if compare to Full size cencor).

Besides additional zoom, censor crop helps to improve image quality since line skiping adding moire.

Best Regards, Andrey

So you’re basically saying that the 600D has a digital zoom mode that you can manually turn on, augmenting the lenses optical zoom properties?

If it only ever used the central part of the chip for capturing video, that would be extremely disadvantageous… all lenses would have rather strange properties. But it you can switch to this mode that uses a smaller part of the sensor without a loss in resolution (which should be possible, given the chip res), then that’s definitely a good feature.

It’s basically a digital zoom, but what’s the feature called in Canon speak?

1578 posts
+6 more
AndrVlad says

Yes correct you can switch it on or off and it’s called digital zoom. 600D have 3x-10x digital zoom feature but only 3x get real pixels without quality loss, further zooming involve rescaling with quality loss.

Interesting thing that newer 650D does not have it and bad thing MarkIII does not have it either. :-(

Best Regards, Andrey

2373 posts Small, but tough
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Thank you so much guys… but you didn’t help me :D I have to idea about this stuff :) Btw, @motionrevolver – converting the price from USA to europe, it becames as twice as expensive. When I say $500, that’s actually $1000 here :)

by
by
by
by
by
by