19 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Denmark
ITEffect says

Hi

I just kinda find it a little disturbing that some themes are sold with encrypted code without it being mentioned, that the theme contains code you as a buyer has no access to modify.

When I purchase especially something like a theme or website layout, I expect to be able to modify it for my own needs, add more functionality and change the existing.

I would feel mis-leaded if I bought something here I was not able to use like I intend to.

At least, why is it not mentioned in the theme info that it contains encrypted code. It is bad enough that especially the “supported browsers” info are mostly very wrong.

Having a false declaration for an item should at least give an option to get the money back.

Any comments on this?

3265 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+1 more
organicbee says

Hi

I just kinda find it a little disturbing that some themes are sold with encrypted code without it being mentioned, that the theme contains code you as a buyer has no access to modify.

When I purchase especially something like a theme or website layout, I expect to be able to modify it for my own needs, add more functionality and change the existing.

I would feel mis-leaded if I bought something here I was not able to use like I intend to.

At least, why is it not mentioned in the theme info that it contains encrypted code. It is bad enough that especially the “supported browsers” info are mostly very wrong.

Having a false declaration for an item should at least give an option to get the money back.

Any comments on this?

contact support about :-)

353 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
al_m473 says

are you saying that a purchased product has encrypted code in it?

I thought it would be removed in the theme you buy, if it was not, then it should be

Al

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

Are you sure that the encrypted “code” is real code? Usually the default options of many frameworks are base_64 encoded, not to hide anything, but just to easily use complex data formats.

19 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Denmark
ITEffect says

Usually the default options of many frameworks are base_64 encoded …

That seems to be the case :)

by
by
by
by
by
by