• Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
pixedelic says

Just an update with the reply from the staff:

Hi Manuel,

Your analytics data is correct. :-) Your themes were featured on both of those external sites which has generated all that extra traffic for you. Here are the links:

http://cssremix.com/preview-bit-ly14vqwpo http://abduzeedo.com/sites-week-etch-promiseup-experiential-and-more

Hope this answers your question. Have a great day!

So it seems that the answer is they are almost unusable, at least as I thought to use them.

24 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
quadroIdeas says

+1

I think the worst part is that there is no way at all of tracking sales. We could invest any amount of money in advertising just to not being able to know ever where the sales came from, or even if the user didn’t get to press the “Purchase item” button for some reason.

There should be an easy way of implementing some kind of analytics functionality that could allow us to track where the user comes from and to know when he actually purchases the item.

There are more than a couple of topics in the forum on this matter with no response whatsoever, and I see absolutely no reason at all for not having it implemented already. In any case, any author investing money in advertising its own items here it’s also bringing sales to Themeforest.

So, guys, how can we move on into this and start tracking our future nice campaigns? :)

103 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+9 more
DenonStudio Envato team says

Since I didn’t receive any reply from the Envato support (but maybe they are still investigating…) let me post here the same topic:

I was thinking to invest a little in advertisement and I entered Envato analytics to start planning a “strategy”... but the results from analytics seem a little weird and not very reliable. Here are two screenshots of the referrals in February and in March 2013 from one of my themes:

https://www.diigo.com/item/image/1fza7/sw9i?size=o https://www.diigo.com/item/image/1fza7/1akb?size=o

As you can see in both cases the last number of visits is repeated many times, 28 sites has visited my theme 16 times in February, 24 sites visited the theme 13 times in March… it seems very strange… or am I missing something?

And I’m pretty sure the theme isn’t available from cssmania.com, but it appears in the referrals of March with 13 clicks from the home page. Are the analytics reliable? How should interpretate this data? What do you think about that?

Manuel :-)

I do admit this is a strange result, but in my experience this app rarely shows wrong results and I think it’s due to the simple nature of what it does. Envato doesn’t have it’s own visitor tracking system so to speak and relies on it’s Google Analytics (GA) account to source these reports. The role of this app is simply to query each authors portion from the entire report.

When I saw your post I checked its results against ThemeForest’s GA reports and not surprisingly they matched. Like I said it’s difficult to explain why the report is so odd, but I trust GA reports and think there must be some other explanation for this.

24 posts
+2 more
quadroIdeas says

Hi DenonStudio!

By any chance does the team has any thoughts on what I’ve pointed out?

We are seriously projecting some advertising campaigns but any attempt in doing them without being able to tracks who ends buying would be meaningless.

Perhaps this could add up to the great series of changes you are implementing right now on the marketplaces.. :)

43 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
alcalbg says

I am testing this idea of putting campaign tracking code into item’s html documentation but I don’t have enough data yet to confirm that this could actually work. Perhaps we could also use “visit this link” to unlock your new item etc.

24 posts
+2 more
quadroIdeas says

I am testing this idea of putting campaign tracking code into item’s html documentation but I don’t have enough data yet to confirm that this could actually work.

That is a clever idea, but even if that works, it would be just another way of knowing that someone has purchased your item, right? We would still not being able to know where did this customer (that did buy) come from.

43 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
alcalbg says

I am testing this idea of putting campaign tracking code into item’s html documentation but I don’t have enough data yet to confirm that this could actually work.
That is a clever idea, but even if that works, it would be just another way of knowing that someone has purchased your item, right? We would still not being able to know where did this customer (that did buy) come from.

My goal with this is to track conversions for promoted items. In other words to be able to see how many people buys your item when you are running paid ad campaign (AdWords or similar).

As far as I know conversions work like this:

• You setup an ad campaign for your item.
  • Potential buyer see your ad and clicks on it. At this stage customer receives a tracking cookie.
  • Customer decides to buy your product, make a purchase and download your item.
  • When he opens html documentation tracking code is fired and because he has appropriate tracking cookie installed this is recorded as a conversion.

I’m not sure if you can see customer location in conversion analytics but if you have this conversion data you can see result of your paid marketing, adjust your ads, keywords and invest in something that is not a black-box.

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
Carmen says

Hey @quadroIdeas and alcalbg, just letting you know that I’ve forwarded this thread to our devs so they can check out your suggestions and ideas. :)

24 posts
+2 more
quadroIdeas says

When he opens html documentation tracking code is fired and because he has appropriate tracking cookie installed this is recorded as a conversion.

Oh, alright. You’re right, I had not thought about cookies! That could be an option then… are you trying it already?

Carmen, thanks for forwarding it. I really hope we’ll see an implementation for conversion tracking in the near time. It will be a major upgrade both for authors and the marketplaces. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by