• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

Does the author featured in the envato bundle get money from it ? Or envato keep all the money ? ..

The bundle is for sale for about 2-3 hours and already sold 400 times .. wich is 8000$ .. this is a lot of money .. where is it going ?

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Yes – every author in the bundle was compensated with a single sale of the x50 Web Services license… which isn’t much compared to the XXXX sales this thing is going to make, but it’s still a pretty sweet bonus. My Iconic template definitely wouldn’t have sold that much on it’s own during this 3 days, so I’m stoked to be included in the bunch. When you consider the amount of publicity and incredibly happy buyers this package will turn around for the marketplace, it means that all authors will benefit to some extent from both the short and long tail of this event.

As far as I know, selection has been happening quietly for a long while now in preparation for this event… I was asked very politely if I would be interested a couple weeks ago – it didn’t take me longer than 10 minutes to decide – I think this is a great move for the marketplace. Even if it does slow sales on the individual items in the bunch, the net effect is enormous.

Oddly enough though, someone bought my Iconic template AFTER the promotion went into effect… I can’t imagine why someone would drop $15 on a template when they can get a ton more files for just another $5. Oh well :)

2952 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

Oh .. im speachless.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says
Oh .. im speachless.

I just edited my response – read it again for more info.

2952 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says
Oh .. im speachless.

I still think it’s not fair for you. They should have give you each some % of the total amount because this thing is huge .. I am not surprised if that generate 100 000$ in 3 days ..

This bundle is made with your file .. they haven’t add anything new that they did .. just picked a bunch of work from author , sell them at low price and take all the money .. this is pure robbery.

Anyway , i’m used to see thing that doesn’t make sense here. It’s a shame.

213 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United Kingdom
snaz3d says

Can I make my own bundle? .

If i just purchase the items I want to bundle with the 50x license and then sell it over? .

220 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Netherlands
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
ronn0 says
Oh .. im speachless.

I still think it’s not fair for you. They should have give you each some % of the total amount because this thing is huge .. I am not surprised if that generate 100 000$ in 3 days ..

This bundle is made with your file .. they haven’t add anything new that they did .. just picked a bunch of work from author , sell them at low price and take all the money .. this is pure robbery.

But what would you choose if you got the change to make money or don’t make money? And who cares that the make more money out of it?

2952 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

Look .. there is 37 files there = 37 author .. give them 1% each of the sales and keep 63% .. wich is a lot …

Right now .. it sold 450 times .. = 9000$

1 % x 9000 $ = 90$ ... each author in the bundle would have already earned 90 $ (in what .. 2-3 hours ? )

And envato would have done 5670$ .. isn’t that enough ??

Yeah making money is ok .. but not when you sell other people’s work .. and keep all the money.

EDIT

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

I politely disagree – They asked very nicely for permission to use these files. Every author had full knowledge of what they were participating in, and everyone had the option to not participate. This is a special case where total sales in a given week aren’t nearly as important as the vitality and attractiveness of the marketplace as a whole. Sure, they might make more money off the files… that’s great – I’m happy for them, not resentful. $100,000 is a small amount of money in the grand scheme of things if the total author base makes a net $1,000,000 from the boosted interest in the market as a whole.

This is what’s typically called a “loss leader” in the marketing industry. An item (a package in this case) is offered at a ridiculously low price just to bring buyers in the door. The individual products used in the leader might not make any profit (they will likely result in losses) – but the total effect is a net gain that is greater than if they never offered the promotion in the first place. The stronger the marketplace is, the more attractive it is to buyers, the more successful authors can be in the future.

I wouldn’t be opposed to some sort of bonus for participating authors if sales top 5,000 in 3 days, but this is all besides the point that the package is about the marketplace as a whole, not the individual authors. :p

Anyways – I totally do see your point DD, I just am choosing to look at this from a different perspective. Your math does make sense though :)

2952 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+5 more
DDStudios says

But hey , its Envato’s birthday !! It’s ok if they sell other people’s work and earned thousand of dollars out of it right ? .. it’s a small gift ! :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ENVATO !!!

by
by
by
by
by
by