725 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

Recently one of my items was disabled due to following issues>

> It’s a very poor practice to deregister WordPress’ built-in jQuery and load another specific version.

(I agree here)

> Use the jQuery noConflict mode to avoid issues — http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_enqueue_script#jQuery_noConflict_wrappers

> Your global variables should always be named in such a way as to NOT cause conflicts. Try to use a prefix for that.

> Please use wp_enqueue to load any external scripts/stylesheet – wp_enqueue_script / wp_enqueue_style – http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_enqueue_script#Functions

> Also, please use conditional tag to load scripts for only the specific page, for example nivo script only for page with nivo slider.

> wp_head should be placed immediately before head closing tag.

> JavaScript files need to be placed at the bottom, barring critical exclusion. [Modernizr, for instance] You can do this with the $in_footer argument of wp_enqueue_script.

> It seems like you’re integrating a few plugins in your theme, we encourage you not to do so.Themes and plugins must be independent to facilitate updates and avoid conflicts with another plugins.You can include a separate folder in your main file called “recommended plugins” and provide information in the docs about how to use them or you can use the TGM Plugin Activation Class for WordPress: http://wp.tutsplus.com/articles/intro-to-tgm-plugin-activation-class-for-wordpress/

The question is: guys are you nuts? That’s 2011 template. I should rewrite it to 2013 requirements? When will you start to disable ALL older themes on ThemeForest so I and other authors know what to expect from you?

509 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
pixeful says

My theme was disabled also recently :) Soo i do understand you

725 posts
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

bump..

332 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says

‘2011’ is not an excuse. Since you’re making money out of it – it must be up-to-date (especially, the with the issues you’ve listed…) or remove it from the marketplace.

1789 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

dekciw please give us a break. Some of those things are acceptable, but some of them aren’t in the requirements list even for themes submitted RIGHT NOW (the last requirement).

And if they start doing this, we should KNOW it. This is a big problem, they soft reject the items without us even knowing, like it’s ok. We’re losing sales, money, business here, we need to step up and get some respect because we surely deserve it.

And looking at the old themes, there are lots of them that weren’t updated since 2008, 2009, don’t tell me those are okay with the current standards. And yet they’re not disabled.

332 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says

And if they start doing this, we should KNOW it. This is a big problem, they soft reject the items without us even knowing, like it’s ok. We’re losing sales, money, business here, we need to step up and get some respect because we surely deserve it.

Yup, I agree on this one. But still, issues like these can be fixed in no time (1hr TOPS per theme), so take your time, do those fixes upfront and you won’t lose any sales, money, business, etc. Basically, you should always FIX your stuff (not only when they soft-disable your items), if you care about the business :) Don’t wait until someone points a finger at you.

Btw, the MOST OF the points listed by Dream-Theme were required long before ‘2013 requirements’.

1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

I made a comment about this when the new req’s were announced, asking if they’ll give us a warning with a grace period on when they’ll start going through old items. Believe they said they would, just going through and disabling items without warning is ridiculous — most of us on here rely solely on TF for our income. Can’t have half my portfolio disabled in a day, because of some new tiny requirement.

Give us a warning with a month grace period to get all our themes up to date if that’s the case now.

7572 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

The question is: guys are you nuts? That’s 2011 template. I should rewrite it to 2013 requirements? When will you start to disable ALL older themes on ThemeForest so I and other authors know what to expect from you?

they said they will do it, there was a thread a couple of months ago. Also, they wanted to start earlier but got some feedback from authors on forum and they adjusted to implement some of the requested changes.

The short story is that they want themes to respect as close as possible wordpress standards.

Don’t think they will disable everything in one day (more likely not) but they will eventually check, ask author to improve/updates all themes.

If authors don’t do it probably they will delete the themes.

It makes sense to improve themes quality,

it doesn’t make sense to disable them before asking the authors to improve them, I think maybe is better to give them a time frame of a month or similar, and then start soft disable/remove if they don’t do it.

But it also a valid move to disable them first so authors will probably fix the themes faster if they want their items back.

Different point of view and approach.

1045 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

If one of my old themes got disabled without advanced notice, because it didn’t include the new limitations, I would delete it and go somewhere else with my business. That’s unacceptable and shows zero respect.

Here’s a question for Envato. How would you react if your CDN came out with new requirements and published them, but all of a sudden started disabling your uploaded graphics, files, etc. You’d certainly lose sales when people couldn’t download the products. It would be a charge back bonanza.

How about PayPal updates their system and disables your account because they just randomly picked today to start applying the new rules. You haven’t updated any of the marketplaces yet? Oh well, I guess you’ll have a big zero for your sales and lose a ton of customers because your service provider had absolutely no respect for your business and didn’t let you know ahead of time or provide a grace period for making updates.

If it wasn’t normal around here for changes to be implemented without warning, this would probably be a bit shocking.

Food for thought.

911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
Carmen says

Hi guys,

I understand your frustration about this issue. The main issue seems to be around authors not being given enough notification when their items are disabled for a variety of reasons. I want you to know that this is a process issue and has nothing to do with our lack of respect for you or the hard work you put into your items. I have sent through this thread to management and they will respond shortly.

by
by
by
by
by
by