I LOVE IT !!!!! Thomas you have talent mate :) Collis where are you? :P

103 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
ImadJomaa says

@Thomas: That’s Amazing! If this t-shirt marketplace goes through, I know what shirt I’m buying first. :P

988 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

if i just could get the green light to upload such stuff on my GR inventory…you would be able to see dosen of t-shirt designs related to the marketplaces, but as we all know we cant use the marketplace logos, i dont think this looks like something that is going to happen. However, thos AI artowrks doesnt cost me time and if the company accept, i can provide the AI source files for free if the company offer also to share them for free (maybe somewhere on the TUT + blogs as freebie). The idea behind this, is just to offer something printable to the comunity, and if anyone wish can just download the source…edit and print it with their own possibilites. I am ready to send the artowk source file (and create some more if there is interest).

206 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
mlando says

@Thomas: AWSOME T ! I would buy (at least) one in a second!

988 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

not sure, but just an idea…maybe http://creattica.com can be the right palce to upload such freebies like t-shirt art, posters etc. related to the marketplaces. Thos must be free downloads, so that everyone who wish can download the artowrk they like and print on their own possibilities. Now all we need is the green light from the company to use the marketplace logos (or any logo of the company sites) in thos artworks.

Another possibility would be if the company run some sort of contest for such artworks…it doesnt need to be something very complicated…just a simple contest with small awards and then the community vote for the best design in X product category.

55 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
amberturner says

I just briefly read some comments on here, so I thought I would throw in my two cents.

First off, Envato marketplaces:

The Envato Marketplaces allow anyone to buy or sell digital goods like WordPress themes, stock audio, After Effects project files, Flash templates and much more.

Their business plan for their marketplaces is to sell DIGITAL goods. Selling shirts is not a digital good. Whenever a business looks to expand into markets that do not fit their business plan, they are often stretching themselves too thin and thus hurts the company. When companies put together mission statements and company descriptions, they do it as a description of what they do.

Just think that if you are a web developer, but decided to start selling handmade cards, you would be hurting yourself because it would confuse your customer base, and there are several reasons other than that.

On the other hand, it would be smart of Envato to work on MARKETING through the use of branded items such as shirts and such on their sites such as the marketplaces, tuts sites, and the others.

4317 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Community Moderator
  • Venezuela
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+9 more
Ivor Reviewer says
On the other hand, it would be smart of Envato to work on MARKETING through the use of branded items such as shirts and such on their sites such as the marketplaces, tuts sites, and the others.

That’s what we want – at least what I want!.

3135 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Daniel_R says
Here’s the problem with clothing: It’s a different industry.

Websites like threadless and designedbyhumans have their own printing facilities. You can’t just start up a marketplace that delivers ready made clothing, it’s a whole other world.

Maybe we could get a t-shirt category for GR, but I am not sure how well that would sell to be honest.

Btw, you’d need a different approval process. Something like on threadless where you have a community vote and then a staff review. The reason for this is because it takes a lot of effort and money to customize the printing process for one design. This is also the reason why high quality prints are done 100’s at a time, it’s not like you can have Collis, Cyan, Vahid and the rest of the management team ironing the design onto a t-shirt.

tl;dr: Too much hassle.

Before any failure, there’s brainstorming and then sometimes succes$.

Besides, who else do you know that has successfully launched a large marketplace site in a few weeks notice or so.

Designer, Developer, & Geek Gear is the NEXT BIG thing bro, it just needs Envato behind it.

8-)

Okay, 2 points.

1) Envato is successful because it’s more or less the same model. All goods sold are digital, none of them are physical and require a totally separate model.

2) There is SO much Geek Gear out there. SO much.

If you look at the available options then there are 2 categories: a) Cheap, mass produced shirts a la threadless or b) expensive tees that are produced per order. eg, having your own silk screen printer and printing your own stuff or crappy iron on.

Im feeling you Arik….not a great idea …clothing…nah!

3135 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Daniel_R says
I LOVE IT !!!!! Thomas you have talent mate :) Collis where are you? :P

Incredible talent indeed…awesome designs! but Im not buying anything! lol :)

2114 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
fifty_tons says
ah, i think they schould be more branded and somehow show what is the marketplace about with the design on the tee…maybe something like this. I have scratched something fast here, just as an idea of what we could offer if merchandise products idea implemented.

click on the image below to see larger preview. :P

I’d wear this, it looks awsome.

by
by
by
by
by
by