1685 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
+1 more
Firsh says

Yeah it would not be a new marketplace for nondigital goods. Just a fan section which is marketing at the core. I like that themeforest shirt. I imagined an other one: lots of little artworks (around 1-2 inch per each) that are the marketplaces logo’s randomly put all around the shirt, jacket, stufflike that. Like a repeated pattern, but 5-7 kind of logos randomly. That would look good I guess. Even b/w or full color. Just avoid rainbowlike.

988 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says
Yeah it would not be a new marketplace for nondigital goods. Just a fan section which is marketing at the core.

yep…exactly.

...here some idea: I am so sure that many designers would participate in such a project (not only the authors, but also designers outside of the marketplaces). The best would be some sort of site like http://creattica.com with multiple categories for merhcandise items. Think something similar to mix of Behance and Creattica where designers can create account and upload their promotional creations in a form of a portfolio. Then designers make the artworks also downloadable for the community and visitors can download the artwork they like and print on their own. Your terms would be to require atleast 1 of the logos (or saite names) to be used in the artwork that designers upload.

This stuff can be all for free, in return the company gets visitors also from different niches and their sub-industries…this means more potential buyers for the marketplaces and more potential authors that comes from different sub-industry of the design niche as a whole…variety is what brings success! Another plus for the company of this baby project will be the huge advertising option…and all this just for almost doing nothing. All they need is, publish the site and hire 2 people to manage the thing. If you consider what all would be available on the site and what visitor number would download some stuff and print it, the small investment of money and time is just nothing compared to what you get in return. People will download art and print posters from and hang on their office wall, they would print mouse pad’s from, they will print mug’s, t-shirts and all that kind of stuff…try to picture it in your mind what advertising you get for your company. Even if its just some small fan-art for screen wallpapers…with such a category you may take the attention of the wallpaper designers along with their fan base and you may hit 1000s downloads a day just from such small crap. This translated, means 1000s of visitors that have the “i am a potential buyer of your marketplace items” on their forehead. You may even collaborate with some providers like cafepress and “recommend” your visitors to use thos services as supported provider for prints of the digital artworks. I am sure there would be plenty of print companies willing to collaborate with you on this.

Designers, get in return the possibility been more noticed and get their names on that map faster as an creative. Maybe links to thier marketplace inventory (for authors) can also bring some sales in return. You build popularity day by day and people with a common design taste become addicted to your stuff and help you build your own Fan Club.

I dont want to make this post very long…from my post above (and some previous posts) you can see what is the rough idea and what can bring you in return. Stinginess about the usage of your logos makes you by-pass some great opportunities and you prevent yourself from the benefits….think about this.

One last thing i would like to add…i am not sure what your marketing manager is doing there, but you really need to think about it…such ideas schould come and be developed from your marketing team, not from your authors.

1685 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
+1 more
Firsh says

Point made.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Motionreactor says
One last thing i would like to add…i am not sure what your marketing manager is doing there, but you really need to think about it…such ideas schould come and be developed from your marketing team, not from your authors.

If I can offer an alternative point of view, as I’m sure you are used to…

Just because you or I think an idea is valid and should be developed does not mean they have to. Additionally it does not matter if ideas come from the Author base… this in no way suggests some kind of failure on their behalf. I don’t understand why you always use this passive aggressive tactic either. Your post was constructive and helpful and full of good ideas, then you had to add this last little jibe at the bottom. Why?

I’m trying to highlight this to you because I do not think it is a healthy attitude and it will very easily get your otherwise good ideas ignored.

988 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

i see your point MotionReatior…and you totaly right. I schould stop this somehow, but you must also see it from an author point of view and also from a “business relation” point of view between you and the company. This marketplace have sellers from multiple levels, big and small sellers from mega comlex to ultra simple items which are priced also based on the complexity, functionality, creativity etc. Now to the point…the only thing authors have in common is the fees % they get charged…small seller get charged the same as any big sellers and this automaticaly makes the whole thing annoying. Before anyone push the “terms and conditions” under our nose or use the “love or leave” slogan, i would like to ask you to think for a moment. You will endup with a similar mind of my “small end addition to the concept idea” and start to ask yourself what thos people really do there and why you leave thos fees to them. Hence, they are obligated to market our items, not authors…this is an argument i start to use very often the last times on the forums and basicaly is the answer to your question. In other words, if i am leaving fees, i would really finaly like to see some real values the marketing team puts…as i am yet to see/hear about something the company (marketing department) is doing to advertise our items or develop such ideas. Thos ideas even get served in a golden plate, but the annoying part is no one even give a hot about it and this is why i think they are just legpullers. Hope my message answers your question and clears the doubd you always get when you read some of my posts.

67 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Headset says
I took the idea from one Envato contest back in 2007 :) in fact I think I’ll print this. \\
-> that was funny :D

Anyway, I’d be buying any gear coming out from TF or Envato itself.

1426 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+10 more
kailoon Reviewer says

I like it, Thomas! :), but can you make it less “dirty”? :P The big paw on the side is impressive!

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
Motionreactor says
i see your point MotionReatior…and you totaly right. I schould stop this somehow, but you must also see it from an author point of view and also from a “business relation” point of view between you and the company. This marketplace have sellers from multiple levels, big and small sellers from mega comlex to ultra simple items which are priced also based on the complexity, functionality, creativity etc. Now to the point…the only thing authors have in common is the fees % they get charged…small seller get charged the same as any big sellers and this automaticaly makes the whole thing annoying. Before anyone push the “terms and conditions” under our nose or use the “love or leave” slogan, i would like to ask you to think for a moment. You will endup with a similar mind of my “small end addition to the concept idea” and start to ask yourself what thos people really do there and why you leave thos fees to them. Hence, they are obligated to market our items, not authors…this is an argument i start to use very often the last times on the forums and basicaly is the answer to your question. In other words, if i am leaving fees, i would really finaly like to see some real values the marketing team puts…as i am yet to see/hear about something the company (marketing department) is doing to advertise our items or develop such ideas. Thos ideas even get served in a golden plate, but the annoying part is no one even give a hot about it and this is why i think they are just legpullers. Hope my message answers your question and clears the doubd you always get when you read some of my posts.

I understand your desire for a higher return of investment. It is also fair to expect answers to your questions regarding marketing, perhaps asking directly would help. You are also talking about something else though.

Your criticism of the micro-economy we have here in the marketplaces is really a criticism of capitalism. This isn’t likely to change anytime soon. What you are suggesting is that in some sense the level of earnings of an author should be relative to the amount of commission owed, but instead of the current model you believe it should be reversed. You are suggesting a kind of ‘tax break’ for lower income authors and to ‘tax’ more heavily the higher income earners.

The way the current system works is to encourage and reward authors who generate, that is bring in money into the micro-economy. High earning authors get rewarded for their contribution in this way. I don’t see how this is unfair? Sure it means you have to work harder to begin with, but in which part of life is this not the same?

High earning authors had to start somewhere, and are given the same opportunities as you (in fact they had it harder to begin with if you compare historical rates). Work hard at your items and you will see a return of investment over time. We can all see evidence of this by looking at the top authors. They all worked hard to get there and now they are reaping the benefits. We all have that same opportunity.

Have I missed your point? I don’t think so, but we are talking of many different aspects of the marketplaces.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
Motionreactor says

I’ve thought about it some more, and to answer your question regarding marketing.

The success of the marketplaces and that of high earning authors is testament to whatever marketing is actually going on. So basically it is working. It might not seem it when you start climbing from the bottom of the ladder, but the mere fact that the ladder keeps going upwards shows us that there is real and tangible success to be had. For authors at the top, marketing seems to be doing just fine.

Of course there is always room for improvement and this is where your ideas come in. Again hopefully if you phrase them well (We’ve already gone over that, and I’m glad you see my point there) they will eventually take notice. Yes it might be frustrating, but clearly for the time being they don’t think it is a high priority because as far as they see it the marketplaces are still growing and growing quite successfully.

7 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Neon_ says
I like it, Thomas! :), but can you make it less “dirty”? :P The big paw on the side is impressive!

Wash it? :P

I agree though, the design looks pretty sick, I’d buy it or something similar if it was offered. I DON ’T find it too realistic for Envato to start up their own clothing or merchandise market, or anything of the like, however I do agree it would be feasible, and profitable, going through and selling custom branded clothing that could perhaps be sold as merchandise perhaps in a similair style to deviant art. Envato COULD have a shop without necessarily having a marketplace dedicated to it, and I personally think it would be quite effective if presented right.

by
by
by
by
by
by