• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says
Your criticism of the micro-economy we have here in the marketplaces is really a criticism of capitalism. This isn’t likely to change anytime soon. What you are suggesting is that in some sense the level of earnings of an author should be relative to the amount of commission owed, but instead of the current model you believe it should be reversed.

No, we dont start there. What i am suggesting is, that the company schould offer more options for the small sellers based on promotion / self-promotion and the marketing team schould show a progress on this…an example is the site model suggested, that will help such small sellers and authors of GR to get faster on where they want to get. We dont want graphicriver to become a place where AD, TF, VH buyers come to spend their cents left in their account balance just coz they dont want to leave the $1-$2 balance to envato as a present. No one ofcource expect envato now to leave all they have on the “emergency” list and get busy with such ideas. Such ideas for additional/better marketing doesnt have specific time to be implemented, i mean they cannot be used as last minute boast to increase sales or as alternative marketing strategy when there is some crisis. Such sites are community generated sites and can exist anytime…this is just good for the company.

You are suggesting a kind of ‘tax break’ for lower income authors and to ‘tax’ more heavily the higher income earners.

Not really, this was not what i was tring to say. For what you say now, the difference comes on the earning % increasement policy. An example would be, when an TF authors get the income % increased just with lets say 100 sales, the GR author need 1000 sales to get to the next earnings level. This what needs an revision, simply for GR outhors different terms must apply and this terms must be reworked and there schould be balance established. It is not GR authors fault they sell items which are in lower level of cost, but then hit hard against the wall and have the same conditions like authors from other marketplaces selling items starting from minimum $10 and get faster to the next income % increasement.

High earning authors had to start somewhere, and are given the same opportunities as you.

actually not…read my last sentence above.

I get salty when the issue is marketing, as this is what effects the small sellers. Yes the business may look great as a whole, but when you break it down into marketplaces there would be some difference everyone can notice. Author that produces wordpress themes may not get so annoyed if his item makes him $100 a month with just 7-8 sales. But an author from GR may get quite annoyed if he need to wait for 200 sales to process in order to earn just $100. This is why i call the marketing team to action…produce new ideas, implement them fast as they can, or else soon start to lose their GR item suppliers completely.

988 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

additionaly, maybe is time for me to just take all my items down and leave. Some days ago, someone told me something in a way of “wtf are you still doing here if everything seems to be so bad for you”, this pushed me to another idea…maybe that person was right and i schould start to sell my stuff on my personal site and do everything on my own…market the products whenever i want and the way i want. I may even be successful in doing this…no one knows.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Motionreactor says

I see what you are saying, I slightly missed what you were originally proposing sorry. We are talking about quite a lot of interrelating issues.

The thing is that GR items in general are cheaper for several reasons.

• 1) To compete with an already saturated market, competing with big stock graphics sites
  • 2) The entry level and difficulty of producing items for GR is generally lower than some of the other marketplaces

These factors add up to a situation where GR prices will be lower. Is this fair? Yes IMO .

You are right, because of lower prices it takes longer to increase commission earnings as a GR author. I’ll agree with you that the motivation to continue producing such items is less than perhaps some of the other types of products on the other marketplaces. GR items seem somewhat ‘small fry’ in comparison. This is not something we can change easily. GR is an entry point for authors, and even if some are driven away with frustrations, there are always going to be thousands of eager designers ready to jump on board.

There is success to be had on GR, again take a look at some of the top selling items and you can see that the effort / reward ratio can be very beneficial for an author.

I don’t think you should leave, you seem passionate about selling. Maybe try going on your own, but just switch to non-exclusive for an experiment. That way you can try selling and marketing your own model and see how it goes. Companies like GoMedia seem to have very successful self run e-commerce.

3135 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Daniel_R says
additionaly, maybe is time for me to just take all my items down and leave. Some days ago, someone told me something in a way of “wtf are you still doing here if everything seems to be so bad for you”, this pushed me to another idea…maybe that person was right and i schould start to sell my stuff on my personal site and do everything on my own…market the products whenever i want and the way i want. I may even be successful in doing this…no one knows.

Thomas I am still waiting your reply! You are not interested in helping us with the spanish tuts website?

BTW …Awesome insight

by
by
by
by
by
by