3714 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

for sure is not activeden :D
I wonder if any activedenners cheated the system on 100% rates day. Buy your item 3 times and get it to number 1 on the weekly best sellers! :D

What good is that going to do at this point, though? ;)

3732 posts
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+8 more
ToivoMedia says

for sure is not activeden :D
I wonder if any activedenners cheated the system on 100% rates day. Buy your item 3 times and get it to number 1 on the weekly best sellers! :D
What good is that going to do at this point, though? ;)

That was the point of my wee joke there.

34 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
Splendous says

Authors and buyers were asking Envato for numerous times in the past 4-5 years for various features/improvements/fixes for the Market(places), ranging from minor UI tweaks to big projects like search improvements and shopping cart. Majority of those requests are still “in the pipelines” (pun intended). The excuse for not making them was always the lack of resources (mainly people/devs).

As far as I understand, Envato started with a single marketplace and added marketplace for different items eventually- while they have similar features across the marketplaces there most probably wasn’t any “central system” as back-end, different domains and such made working with it difficult- And they really seen very stable and fast growth, one of the reason for sure that making changes to what bringing sales/growth fast enough- is a tough choice!

It seems, they finally got into something “central”- yet, changing what works for a long time, is a thing they would done carefully- which is why may be things are still “in the pipelines”.

Then how are you in a position to:

start new (unwanted / non-requested) features/projects like this whole mandatory-support mess, which request even MORE development resources (time/staff/...), while at the same time they affect only 2 of your marketplaces (you do have 8 marketplaces, unless you forgot).

My main question here: is Envato losing focus? Or are you (Envato) deliberately shifting your focus primarily to ThemeForest (and CodeCanyon) and neglecting other marketplaces? If this is the truth, then please be honest and let us know right now so that we can start migrating elsewhere. Thanks.

Thinking about 2-3 years forward, I guess they are on right track with right priority- the whole business model what works now-a-days and what would work in future is in motion- unless they catch up in advance, the whole marketplaces will suffer.

ThemeForest and Codecnyon being the largest/complex definitely they should work on these first, doesn’t that mean other places should be forgotten or not be in “pipelines”- :)

My 2 cents.

1579 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Note: this is my post originally posted in this forum topic. However, I realized it goes beyond that particular topic, so I am opening a separate thread here.

I was following all those mandatory support-related topics carefully for the past few days, and the more I read (especially the official answers) the more I am concerned. Here is the reason why:

Authors and buyers were asking Envato for numerous times in the past 4-5 years for various features/improvements/fixes for the Market(places), ranging from minor UI tweaks to big projects like search improvements and shopping cart. Majority of those requests are still “in the pipelines” (pun intended). The excuse for not making them was always the lack of resources (mainly people/devs).

Even now, they claim they are working so hard on search, shopping cart and what not, always giving us the excuse of things turning out to be more complicated than they anticipated. More complicated, you say? Then assign more experts to work on the same problem(s). Unless you don’t have any more people to assign. Then how are you in a position to:

start new (unwanted / non-requested) features/projects like this whole mandatory-support mess, which request even MORE development resources (time/staff/...), while at the same time they affect only 2 of your marketplaces (you do have 8 marketplaces, unless you forgot).

My main question here: is Envato losing focus? Or are you (Envato) deliberately shifting your focus primarily to ThemeForest (and CodeCanyon) and neglecting other marketplaces? If this is the truth, then please be honest and let us know right now so that we can start migrating elsewhere. Thanks.

Hey Urbazon, very interesting question! I think there are a bunch of factors at play which are influencing where we are at the moment, and what we’re prioritizing. Hopefully this will help give some insight in:

• We’re working to our 2014 Roadmap – Earlier in the year I published that roadmap on the Market Blog, and this entire year we’ve been working against what was written there. I go back periodically and add all our major deploys with a reference to which of the 8 headings it falls under. If you take a look at the bottom of the post, it’s fairly up to date!
  • Change on a Big App is Hard – I can’t overemphasize that change on a set of sites as big as Envato Market is not-trivial. It’s very easy to run up against legacy issues, edge cases, and other problems that make projects like the shopping cart very challenging. We’re working on changing some of our architecture to facilitate more teams working on smaller pieces of a larger app – but that change itself is a very long term one (with no noticeable difference on the outside).
  • Change Has Been Building for Two Years – Actually last year we started to make a lot more progress on change than the previous years, and this year again we’re getting even more progress. When you’re an author in the middle of things, it’s hard to see but if you look back objectively at the pace of change you’ll see it picked up last year, and we’ve gotten faster again. A lot of this is down to team size. The Product Delivery teams for example are four times the size they were two years ago! That many more people means more output. It also means a lot of new challenges coordinating everyone – but we’re working through those.
  • Item Support wasn’t something nobody asked for – I don’t agree that Item Support was just something we threw in unwanted/unrequested. I speak to authors at meetups, over email and Skype and from TF and CC authors, dealing with item support has been the #1 most requested change for several years. Whether our solution was right is a different question, but this was a set of plans I added to our roadmap pretty much only because authors asked for it.
  • We are Improving Far Beyond TF & CC – There are changes we’re making to improve the web marketplaces, but there are just as many, maybe more, for the other marketplaces. Video rollover previews, AudioJungle licensing and Higher Non-exclusive rates are all changes for other marketplaces. Additionally there are changes we make which apply universally like search improvements, purchase improvements and the like.

Hope that helps! I actually think this year we have one of the strongest focuses we’ve ever had, and one of the best track records of delivery :-)

I get very excited every time I get to go back and update the Roadmap post, and am optimistic that by the end of the year you’ll all feel that we discharged ourselves well and positively impacted all eight areas we set out to address. In turn this will mean that the 2015 Roadmap when it’s released will be something you’ll feel a lot more trust in :-)

2176 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

Hey, Collis.

First of all, thank you for taking your time to reply in person. It adds a great value to the reply.

To be honest, I actually agree with everything you wrote. The thing is, although I was aware of most of the changes around here (I follow forums and blog constantly) and I knew about all the improvements to the other marketplaces, it just seemed like the most (not all) of them were aimed mostly to TF and CC.

However, I admit that I can never be aware of all the work that is done internally. So I guess I’ll just have to wait a few more months to see what’s been cooking in your dev kitchen :)

Btw, if you’re still reading this topic, please just take the time to hear this suggestion:
if you don’t have it already (and I believe you do have), please make a list of all the small but important/wanted UI tweaks and features (for example, one randomly comes to mind: category filters on portfolio page). Then, the next time you have your “Hack week”, or however you call it, please let your devs work on something meaningful/useful, instead of cosmetic changes like the oversized badges, as these type of changes give us the impression of some kind of progress.

1791 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Some authors asked for it, then add it, but don’t force it to all of us. Even if you’d release your own solution, we may not want to use it if we have an even better one. Forcing something to us is not okay. We’re in the majority(70%) and we should decide how we work.

by
by
by
by
by
by