5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

God you really make sense digitalscience.

Love your posts

1614 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Something I feel is missing in the ‘8 stakes in the ground’ road map is improvements to promote new authors and new files. For years the focus has been more towards Popular Items, and these days it’s become increasingly harder to break onto popular pages because of the shorter exposure times on the home page compared to what the early adopters experienced a few years back.

For a technology marketplace Envato should improve promotion towards fresh items and new talent. We’ve discussed before that “Popular New Items” on the home page is needed, and is something that many other marketplaces use to promote the latest items. Another thing is on the popular pages you show best sellers from the last “3 months” not the last “1 month”, the 3 month window was something from the early days of the marketplaces when the flow of new items was much slower, but now that we have 100’s of files approved each week, we should have filters and trending pages showing daily, weekly, monthly, 3 months, 6 months, yearly and so on.

If Envato want’s to remain sustainable 5 – 10 years now, you should move with the times and tweak the old system to allow for the increasing flow of new authors and new items being uploaded every day, otherwise customers will just end up buying the same old items year after year because it’s harder to find anything else without looking on the current popular page setup.

A great observation, like a sort of ‘trending’ type concept?

I know the search team has been looking at what signals they use in search results to make sure that we have good freshness signals in there, I think that will be a key part. But surfacing good new content in other ways is important as well. That homepage generally needs a refresh, it’s still basically the same layout as 2009 :-D

4739 posts Interactive Design
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

A great observation, like a sort of ‘trending’ type concept?

Yes like a trending items row of say 10 items on the homepage which updates daily. Currently we wait a week to see what is trending, so it would be more exciting to see something that also updates on a daily basis. The trending section will basically “catch” popular newly approved items, and give them a little bit more home page time to help springboard those items onto the popular page for the week. This will also eliminate the need for reviewers to slow down the approval rate, because the trending items row will catch good items and keep them on the home page for longer and give them more exposure. This system would be particularly useful on GraphicRiver and PhotoDune where there are so many items uploaded on a daily basis.

264 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
chilly_orange says

What I’m really missing in this article is a renewed commitment to getting serious about improving support. And by support, I mean support towards authors. I find it really disappointing having to wait two weeks to get a simple question answered.

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

Thats the problem with Road Maps, Chilly Orange.

You get traffic jams, and the odd fender bender.

5389 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Take some lessons from sites like Behance and Dribbble where there is a lot of focus on new talent discovery, and not necessarily just showing work with the most views.

I agree additional filters for finding a wide range of items will be great. But from my own personal shopping habits, I think it’s just natural to view the top selling items. For example, when comparing products on Amazon, if I land on a page with very few ratings, even though the product might have a good overall rating, I’m probably going to opt for a similar product product that has 1,000 good ratings. It’s just a comfort factor that’s much more relevant when shopping online as opposed to shopping in person at an actual store. In a store, if something doesn’t work, you can just return it on the spot. Online, returning something isn’t quite as easy. So I guess my point is, as much as I think additional search filters for finding hot new stuff will be great, I don’t think we’ll see a major shift in buying habits as long as the “filter by total sales” option is around.

On topic, it’s always great to see “Envato Notes” posts like this. Looking forward to seeing all the great things to come :)

4739 posts Interactive Design
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

So I guess my point is, as much as I think additional search filters for finding hot new stuff will be great, I don’t think we’ll see a major shift in buying habits as long as the “filter by total sales” option is around.

True, sorting by total sales is useful to find quality items that has been peer approved, but what we need to add to that is time period filtering, so it’s not always defaulted to “All time”

Just like when you’re looking to buy a Video Game, you won’t search for the “most popular video games of all time” and end up buying a copy of Doom v1.0 Sure it’s a great game but it’s a little outdated – you’re more likely to purchase something that was popular within the last 2 years.

For a digital marketplace with forever changing web and design trends, Envato should at least give buyers the option to filter total sales by a time period.

1 post
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ifiaga says

It’s been almost three months since I took over Marketplaces again, and I wanted to loop back to the community and give an update on what we’re working on, and what we hope to achieve in 2014. You can Read all about it on Notes! And I’ll be dropping in and out of this thread to answer questions!

Hi Collis Why envato doesnt open a new category in themeforest for basic php themes. Not wp or another CMS.

Author can sell, if built a simple css3+html5 theme which include basic+ simple admin panel. It is just an advise. tnx

1614 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
collis Envato team says

Hi Collis Why envato doesnt open a new category in themeforest for basic php themes. Not wp or another CMS. Author can sell, if built a simple css3+html5 theme which include basic+ simple admin panel. It is just an advise. tnx

Good question. I think we used to have a bunch of those in CMS > Misc, but I can’t seem to find them now. I will ask someone in the review team if we still accept them.

668 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
+5 more
FlossieWood says

I’m very excited about the prospect of a search facility on Audiojungle that will help both buyer and author – it must be incredibly difficult for the buyer to find what they want at the moment which can lead to frustration and a lost sale in some cases. Plenty of filters, I think, for AJ would work!

Also licensing being looked at is wonderful news too!!!

Thanks Collis!

by
by
by
by
by
by