• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
+7 more
INDUSTRYKIDZ says
Ok if I read this right. ENVATO is going to cut down all price on photoshop styles and addons to 4$ ????? whats going on here there is alot of good authors who work hard on these add ons and 4 dollars I think it not fare also all the new styles are at 2 dollars really? can some one clear this up for me.

SUPPORT SAID

We are working to fix that shortly. Prices are not set based on the style, but rather they are set based on the content of the file and the category it’s from. The maximum price for a Photoshop Add-on is $4, all other prices will be adjusted to fit this guide shortly.

Regards, Kate

Envato Review Staff
1373 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

Add-ons requires a totally different knowledge regarding Photoshop and illustrator. It’s not only about the visual design, but people who create those Actions, and Styles they have to considere different versions of the Photoshop/Illustrator the complexity of the usage and also the result should works well with different kind of pictures and/or fonts. Do you know guys how many hours needs to spend debugging a complex Action-flow in Photoshop? Im not saying that i want to compare this to a programming, but definitely not the same thing to create a nice icon. We are giving a tool to the buyers, without any kind of restriction (no extended license) So they can create as much work as they want, implement into they work and sell it. Moreover it seemed like there was a huge demand for this kind of tools, and buyers preferred quality versus quantity here. And they paid those $4’s, moreover they send thank you messages, if there was a bug they mentioned, ask for help but definitely appreciate this kind of work.

Envato, what are you doing now it will destroy this section. $4 was already a friendly not only affordable price. What do you expect for $2 guys? And tell me what action i should make to get $4? An action which will paint the sixtus chappel, just need a single fart on the screen or what?

C’mon guys… Why do you destroy that section which is actually makes this site totally different than other stock image clones? You are loosing your authors Envato, did you realised that?

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Agree with above posts in case both reflects official stance on the $4 ceil.

Personally I am ok with styles but Actions are very nearly a programming thing since it requires to support:

1. Dynamic content (to cover a wide range of size, shape, color selection and brightness)
2. Variations (Multiple sub actions (sometimes 100s) that helps choosing own output styles)
3. Inclusion of additional styles, patterns, brushes etc
4. Testing with more than 1 Photoshop/Illustrator installation (or optimizing for more than English language support)

With all the above combination of work and testing, many cases the Actions can take around 2 to 4 weeks to prepare. Without all the above qualifications, there is very less chance for an Action to satisfy buyers. So price reduction is ok but a strict ceiling limit like $4 will definitely discourage authors + steal directly from their pocket.

Also if this decision made with the consideration of freebies availability everywhere, it is wrong. The GR Actions stands out a lot in terms of creativity, uniqueness and many other aspects – so buyers wont mind that small price difference as something difficult. At the same time, $2-3 reduction will result big impact on authors remuneratiuon.

hmm… there was a feedback thread posted for vector pricing but not for the Add-ons? So we all should consider jumping into “less dynamic” categories such as fine-art illustrations instead of dynamic tools like Add-ons?

Finally there is no possibility of Extended License for tools. Gives infinite freedom to utilize the output to sale / resale / multiple projects etc. So Please consider a lot before reducing price or setting upper price limit for tools.

1373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

This section actually was calling for improvements instead of cut-back. This part had a lot of potential but Envato did not realized that in time there are authors who able to invest more time and to create better and innovative solutions. I was respect all my competitors here, i was amazed when they created something which is obviously smart and creative. Beside those unique solutions there was a also a lot of simple but delicious item/style. And those are also deservedly got the $4. Not because they are offered 20-30 middle-brow styles, but they offered recognizable, well assembled and deliberated items, made from quality raw materials. By the way: raw materials. Did you guys, considerate that if someone giving X number different styles with X seamless textures he got less than those who selling only the textures? Where is the Logic?

When Envato told us before, we should give color variants for the styles, i was almost laughing… And how about those styles, which is actually color independent? Depends on the user which color he choose for the type?

As VF said you should have consider a lot, before or instead you made this price reducing, and i think you should have to recognize the serious potential in this genre. Envato, you need reviewers who are more experienced regarding this field.

And you can go and check the freebees out there. I guarantee, you will experience a lot of fun, when you see and understand the difference in between those freebies and our items here. Actually the buyers already recognized this.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • India
+3 more
VF says

^ I too thought Add-ons will evolve in both functionality/creativity as well as price wherever needed. Otherwise we will see only ocean of water for buyers to buy.

At this rate of understanding about work values, Envato has less chance to be respected in the future on specific industries. No matter the content is free or priced, any service that misses to reflect work values will be forgotten easily by industry; just a matter of time.

In this case, if price doesn’t differentiate a tool and a static graphic, then it means we failed all together! Don’t say that sales will differentiate – sales is an uncertain criteria and doesn’t going to reflect the value.

962 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
Alexlasek says

Summing up, there is no sense to create styles more that 4 in a set.

Honestly it’s really bad… It won’t increase the sell. I will simply go to THE other market and create my own shop with sets of styles, espesially that after 1 or 2 purchases they are on giraffes ….

Cheers

1373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

Wait Alex, i can not believe they are not recognizing this. Maybe it’s just a hasty and half-baked decision. I’m sure they just need to have an another think on this, and maybe ask some reviewers who has more experience in this field, beside creating static elements. (-sorry, but i could’t keep this inside me anymore)

984 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Czech Republic
+1 more
survivor says

Summing up, there is no sense to create styles more that 4 in a set.

That is exactly was I have in my mind. Mostly I’m doing style packs with 8-10 styles in it, but once my styles will get the price of $2 I’ll delete it and split it into 2 files with 4 styles. I’m not going to “work for food”.

I allways thought that after flyers went up with the price – it is time for add-ons, but it seems it is going down instead of going up.

1373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

My finger is already on the delete button. But first i will grant that promise what i already gave to my buyers, regarding their extra 5 styles. They will get it all in 1 time. Then i will give a week or so then i close the happy hours.

637 posts SickFlyers.com
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+7 more
INDUSTRYKIDZ says

There destroying the market And they do this on purpose so giraffes can’t take The work and leak it so they can get more traffic to there site

2$ why even have a review team with dose prices

by
by
by
by
by
by