• Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

Seriously, the time has come (again) for quality requirements to increase across all categories.

There’s too many designs at the moment that are either all the same, or honestly just plain rubbish.

We’re already at saturation point when it comes to items accepted daily, let’s not turn TF into a rubbish heap that no-one wants to search through for a bit of gold.

EDIT: Don’t read this and think that I think my portfolio shines above the rest, I know it doesn’t, I just want this place to keep going forever :)

3672 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

+1 I am nowhere near Tom or some other authors knowledge on the technical side but as a buyer there has been a few things getting through recently I would never consider purchasing.

The standard and enthusiasm of authors here is what sets it apart form the rest, and we would worry that weaker quality = more issues = more stressed authors = more disappointed customers.

As for @Tom Don’t read this and think that I think my portfolio shines above the rest yeah what ever! ;-)

107 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
themespirit says

Well said Tommus, +1 to that.

Originality seems to becoming scarce these days.

I visit TF on a daily basis, to see who’s doing what and to check out the forums, and some (albeit not too many) of the files I see approved actually shock me as to the quality.

I’d break it down as follows:

10% are of a sub-standard quality (to quantify, themes which 1 year ago would have been rejected).

40-50% are very similar if not identical to existing themes, and offer nothing new.

The rest (40-50%) are of a quality I expect from Envato. Which is still a good %, but could be higher.

I think it’s edged too far towards quantity over quality.

These are my personal opinions, no offence intended to anyone, but we all know it’s true.

btw Tommus, I always thought you had a very strong and varied portfolio. Certainly one of the more original collections.

1362 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

This was debated a lot of times b4. For example, there is a lot of designs that are unique and cool but check the sails, guess people do not want that.

This is highly subjective, i am speaking of design and since we cannot point out directly what goes and what not we do not have any example on what do you mean.

107 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
themespirit says

Yes, of course I agree that design is subjective…

One man’s ice cream is another man’s Marmite (or Vegemite for the Aussies).

But anyone with even a single working eye can see if two designs look and operate the same.

I know I’m not an author yet, but I’ve working in the industry for around 15 years and produce my best work under pressure. Whether that pressure is a looming deadline or trying to please an opinionated client.

I have been working on an item for TF for the past 4 months (only 1-3 hours a day as I work full time), and I don’t want it to be easy for me to get it approved. I want to be pushed to produce something unique, otherwise how can I expect to make any sales.

In my time as a web designer I’ve seen so many changes to how things are done. I learn new things daily even now. This is what I find so great about what we do, we are constantly learning and developing new ways of doing things.

Sorry for the rant… Steps down off soap box

174 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
An-Themes says

I was 100% sure that you’ll start a thread like this because of your new theme, the problem with your new theme was that was added in the weekend and than monday was approved more than 20 items, so your new theme was pushed to the bottom, that’s why you have only a few sales.

Anyway, I think this is more a problem of the big boys, like you, don’t like the competition, if it was an amazing theme, right now you’ll have hundreds of sales, but it isn’t, that’s why you have only a few sales, and that’s why you have opened this Thread because you think that were approved to many themes with low quality.

Every day, are approved amazing themes, of course the opinions are different for every author regarding the quality of the items, some themes are very unique and some themes are less, sometimes the themes with the low quality have better sales than the other ones, every theme is more like a lottery.

78 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
Pletikos says

Maybe it would be good that Envato will automatically delete items older than let’s say 3 or 4 years. I mean as the standards and trends keep rising, I’d say that the older themes are no longer needed as they are way outdated. But that’s just my opinion.

174 posts
  • Exclusive Author
An-Themes says

Maybe it would be good that Envato will automatically delete items older than let’s say 3 or 4 years. I mean as the standards and trends keep rising, I’d say that the older themes are no longer needed as they are way outdated. But that’s just my opinion.

About the oldest themes, no one will go to the page 30 to see the themes that were created 3 or 4 years ago, I think the problem here is the home page, the exposure for every new theme is less and this is decreasing every day.

This isn’t my first account, and I’ve done the same thing you are thinking now, I’ve deleted the other items with more than 2 years, and guess what, my sales were decreasing, it doesn’t matter if you have only 10 sales / month with the oldest one, every sales is important, and brings more traffic to your portfolio.

321 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Romania
QBKL says

@An-Themes, please excuse my french but you just spoke out of your derrière.

Not long ago Tom was one of the “small boys”. He got with the “big boys” in a decently short while because he pushed products out like crazy (I’ve been following him for a while). He does amazing work and he’s super involved and helping out in the community as well. And if you think Tucson and Slowave are rubish, then I wonder how you see so many new “amazing themes every day”, cause he’s right and the visual quality bar has been lowered lately.

And btw, 35 sales on a $55 theme in 5-6 days, while it might not be super-star sales volume, it’s still a good level of sales. Not every product of every author needs to or will be another Avada, Salient, whatever.

I’m with you on this one Tom!

Alex

174 posts
  • Exclusive Author
An-Themes says

Salut Alex,

I know Tom from the beginning, I’m not with him and I’m not without him, I love how he brings a new theme every week ( is a machine ), he has right in some aspects, of course every theme is different, unique or low quality, we don’t have the power to choose what to be approved or not, this Thread is just another one from the hundreds opened every year, and guess what .. you know the answer.

I’ve commented only because that’s the motive he opened this Thread, because of the small volumes of sales of his new theme, every theme is more like a lottery.

@Tom I don’t have anything with you, honestly is just my opinion.

by
by
by
by
by
by