355 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

Come on mate, ok, everyone can get frustrated once in a while with the level of sales, but to state that’s the reason behind this topic it’s an exaggeration and if you indeed followed him along the path you’d know he’s pretty much balanced in his forum activity. But anyway, I’m sure Tom doesn’t need me as his lawyer. :)

And I know things won’t change with forum posts. That’s just how this big machine called Envato works, slow.

182 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
An-Themes says

And I know things won’t change with forum posts. That’s just how this big machine called Envato works, slow.

That’s why, nothing will change, you’ll see the same multipurpose / clones themes / unique or bad themes every day, with more or less sales, it depends on the exposure in the home page too, it depends on the brand you’ve created, a lot of things. About this topic, is my opinion, like yours or others opinions from every “envato” user, we are here to respect each other’s, and if we have an opnion, we are welcome to say it, without using “bad words”.

1265 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

@An-Themes No offence taken :)

Whilst I agree the timing of this thread may be a little obvious, nonetheless this is a problem that needs addressing. If I’m honest the reason I opened this thread today is simple:

The frontpage is 100% different this morning than when I went to bed last night

Are there strong designs on there? Hell yes! Are there also very questionable weak designs? Indeed.

Now whilst I would have definitely liked Tucson to sell better than it has, I know it will continue to sell at a level that I’m happy with because I’ve been fortunate enough to grow well as an author here.

My concern, as noted in my original post, is that newer authors (with great designs) are going to find it really hard to break in at the current rate & quality standards of approval.

Finishing off, I opened this thread because when I joined here, TF was the high bastion of design quality by comparison to other marketplaces. I merely want it to stay this way, let us be the marketplace that really drives things forward & shows off quality, and not just quantity (despite my own portfolio!)

@Alex & @Charlie, thanks guys as always :D

EDIT: @anps, you’re totally correct, since we can’t call items out I’m trying to keep this thread as non-pointed as possible. I guess I’m referring more to the huge flood of items in recent months, many of which are taking away from the TF experience as a whole, rather than adding to it.

355 posts
+5 more
QBKL says

TF was the high bastion of design quality by comparison to other marketplaces. I merely want it to stay this way, let us be the marketplace that really drives things forward & shows off quality, and not just quantity.

You’re absolutely right Tom. I’ve been around for 5 years, back when CSS Mania was the go to place for inspiration, yet before looking at any gallery I always came to ThemeForest to checkout the daily releases because I found them to be very inspirational and people looked like they were driving design and technology forward. Not anymore nowadays. It feels like a continuous rehash of codrops blueprints and tutorials and best-seller themes.

I’m not saying there aren’t good new products out there everyday. There are, well executed, balanced BUT prudent. I’m curious where the market place will end up when prudence will oversaturate it.

PS: You’re welcome ;)

808 posts We're a nice team!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
ThemeFocus says

I think Site Manager need periodic inspection item, old item need hide it.

For Example:

Now, wordpress theme version is 3.8.1. As old wordpress item still just support 3.7 or more low, please notify author to change it so that support 3.8.1.If the author didn’t corresponding changes within one month will hide the item, but don’t delete it.

If you agree +1

:)

4624 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

To improve exposure to new files all Envato needs to do is to add this:

\\

Why they haven’t done this yet is beyond me, it’s simple enough and the library is large enough to need something like this. Buyers sometimes want to see “fresh” work, and not just the old top selling themes.

Exposure to new files will only get less unless something like this added.

4624 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

If we had something like that added, quality standards wouldn’t be a big issue, because low quality files would get weeded out quickly.

But because we don’t this filtering option… good files get pushed off the home page and get lost in the system by poorer quality files that don’t sell. While the same old top themes just keep getting exposure and sales.

If buyers can’t find your stuff, you’re not going to get sales – fact.

Updated image… shouldn’t say sales on the top:

\\

105 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
erwin_schro says

If we had something like that added, quality standards wouldn’t be a big issue, because low quality files would get weeded out quickly.

But because we don’t this filtering option… good files get pushed off the home page and get lost in the system by poorer quality files that don’t sell. While the same old top themes just keep getting exposure and sales.

If buyers can’t find your stuff, you’re not going to get sales – fact.

+1

4624 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

Besides the home page exposure battle between high quality and poor quality files, another reason why we need a better filtering option is this scenario.

An author develops a theme for 6 months which is priced at $55, they’ll be lucky to get a day or two of exposure on the home page. On the same home page there are several One Page PSD themes and coming soon pages going for $10 which can be created in a few days to a week which don’t really sell well. Buyers are more likely to purchase whole completed themes.

How can it be fair if both types of files have equal amount of exposure on the home page? Sorting by sales + upload date will solve this problem.

355 posts
+5 more
QBKL says

digitalscience, mate I feel you, I really do, but the point of this topic was the quality of the submissions lately, not exposure time. I know how frustrating is to work on something and see it get off the home in less than 24 hours. It really doesn’t matter if you worked 2-3 months, or a week. Trust me, it still feels like shit and in the end it’s still a waste of investment time.

Point is, we’re hijacking this thread with suggestions about exposure that TF won’t take into account anyway, or say they’ll consider it than because the debate gets heated, the topic gets locked.

Every author deserves their time when publishing a new product. No matter how much time they invested in the product. If it’s HTML or PSD, the development time will be smaller but so will their earnings. Things have a way to balance themselves. And HTML authors get to and need to push out more products than WP authors.

If you really want a place where WP authors get the cream of the crop, then WP themes should get a special market of their own and not mix with other templates or CMS.

Your suggestion relative to the top selectors would definitely be an improvement, but seriously… when was the last time you saw a suggestion or drawing of the community implemented on TF? I don’t remember seeing and we’re only stressing ourselves for pretty much nothing.

PS: Apex looks brilliant!

by
by
by
by
by
by