4641 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

digitalscience, mate I feel you, I really do, but the point of this topic was the quality of the submissions lately, not exposure time.

If the topic of quality standards was coming up, it means it’s effecting exposure and sales of quality files. Why else would it come up by a top author? Exposure of new items is the route cause of this thread… If we had better filtering options and authors uploaded crap, it wouldn’t effect new high quality submissions at all.

Next argument ;)

360 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

Next argument ;)

No need for arrogance mate. Allow me to disagree. The root of the “submission quality” problem is not exposure time. Nor having better filters are the main solution for this. It would only be a PART of a real solution. The REAL root and solution is a better and more strict review standard of the items. From that point on every other change is just an improvement of the system.

But we all know the review standards won’t get raised. Why? For the same reason authors play it safe and push out “prudent” designs. Envato published/accepts every design that has the potential to make a few pennies. It still counts as income. And the struggle to sell moves more and more to the author corner who sees himself forced to do more and more side promotion, social media, Google Ads and so on. ThemeForest is not a marketplace for designers and developers – as it used to be – anymore. It’s a place of business, overcrowded just like any other business sector, with diamonds and weeds alike.

Having a good design and good skills is not enough anymore so authors adjust and become sharks or swim in the ocean with the small fish.

4641 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

I agree that quality standards should be increased – this will slow down the rate of new files approved and thus increase exposure to new files – the problem with this “filtering” though is it’s done by humans (reviewers) which means it’s not always going to be reliable. (hence this thread)

By simply adding better filtering by sorting by sales and time period, we have a filtering mechanism controlled by an automated system – which is far more reliable. The system will automatically filter out files that don’t sell, and show buyers files that do sell based on the time period selected. Problem solved.

Why this topic keeps coming up, is because exposure of new items is dependent on the competency of humans… an automated system with complex filtering options would be a fail safe system, and will always auto correct itself regardless of what reviewers approve, and then we won’t have any threads like this anymore – that’s for sure.

6 posts
armmy says

Most of your items are sold between 200-300 sales, which means you quality is maybe low also, maybe you are item-spammer also :)

360 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
QBKL says

armmy, you took your time, stood there and thought that this would be a great first post on the forums? :)) Trolling at its best…

6 posts
armmy says

armmy, you took your time, stood there and thought that this would be a great first post on the forums? :)) Trolling at its best…

No i don’t think that this is great comment, but i don’t like people who wants all for yourself!

30 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
vervethemes says

Why this topic keeps coming up, is because exposure of new items is dependent on the competency of humans… an automated system with complex filtering options would be a fail safe system, and will always auto correct itself regardless of what reviewers approve, and then we won’t have any threads like this anymore – that’s for sure.

Excellent analysis. TF need to come up with some sort of mechanism based on the ‘decay’ factor of the themes. They should devise a complex formula comprising of ( number of sales / how many days old / author’s reputation / theme’s ratings / author’s ratings) to list the items on the homepage. This is what Facebook does. A recently published new post with 0 likes is pushed below a post with 10 likes posted few hours ago.

373 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
pixelgrade says

Envato published/accepts every design that has the potential to make a few pennies. It still counts as income.

I’m the most concerned about this situation – that each time when a reviewer should reject a theme, not due to its design or coding quality, but for its uniqueness and added value to the marketplace, he will always choose the ‘safe’ way that keep Envato afloat, where every item sale counts.

I think it’s a riskier strategy in the long-term.

4641 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

Don’t worry I’m sure Envato will come up with a solution because…

\\

37 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
medium_rare says

I have to agree that the quality of some items on TF lately has been well below average.

I usually love checking out the latest and greatest the TF community has to offer; it’s often a source of inspiration for my own designs. Lately however, quality seems to have taken a bit of a dive and there has been a fair amount of wading through uninspired, bland designs to get to anything decent.

As others have mentioned, I don’t believe my portfolio is better than everyone elses, I’m still very much a beginner but I feel that some recent items are missing the mark on current standards.

by
by
by
by
by
by