2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
eduturns says

I’m brand new to Envato (Themeforest/Codecanyon) and have only been a member of the community for about two weeks now. I love it… for a multitude of reasons. Your platform has helped me find and purchase several gems already. However, there is one feature, or lack thereof, that sticks out like a massively sore thumb.

SEARCHABLE COMMENTS

No need to go into the many reasons as to why this would be beneficial to the community. It appears that many members have already made such a request and have done an excellent job explaining why. In fact, it appears this same basic request has been made repeatedly over the last 3+ years.

3+ years, multiple requests, no change. Wow, come on guys. You can do it, I believe in you.

Seriously though, you are smart people and you are well aware that this is needed and would be wildly beneficial to the community. You don’t need me or anyone else to inform you of that or to explain why.

So Envato, here’s my suggestion… Oh one side note before I continue. Envato, if you’re reading this thinking, Yeah guy, good luck with that. Read what you just wrote; 3 years, no change. I know. I’m just feeling kind of special today, that’s all. So I thought that I’d give you the opportunity to remind me that I’m not – that none of us are. Anyway, continuing on…

Please take that beautiful “Search forums” box on the right side of the page; change the text, “forums” to “comments”; do about 30 seconds of coding wizardry; place the box in the sidebar of the comments tab for each item (preferably at the top of the page) but hey, at this point just simply getting it on the page would put a huge smile on the face of so many who happily pay your bills.

Aaand VOILA! BAM! BOOM! CHACHING! Everyone can stop wasting their precious time scouring through an item’s comments page-by-page, by page, by page… by page. Not to mention the time saved by those such as myself who have wasted even more of our time asking for something that should already be done; something we shouldn’t even have to ask for in the first place.

Please serve your loyal community and cater to them, not the stats. Because let’s be honest, that’s what this is about. If you allow everyone to search comments, you might be putting some of your site stats at risk. There’s a chance you’d see a decrease in Pageviews, Pageviews/User, Time on Site, and possibly others. All things that provide ZERO value to your customers. Who knows, you may actually see an increase in some of the numbers. But that’s beside the point.

Even if it’s not about the stats and I’m completely off base, it doesn’t matter. That too is beside the point. The point is, you need to do something. This is simply ridiculous, plain and simple. It’s like having an email account, or better yet, multiple email accounts, each with a million emails, and not being able to search the inbox of any of them.

It’s like using pagers and pay phones to communicate when you could just use a cell phone.

952 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
aleluja says

Have you ever tried searching for something with that search? If you did you would know it would be useless even there :D

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
eduturns says

Perhaps, you may be right there. It looks as though there are quite a few complaints out there about the overall quality of Themeforest’s search. I’m new to it all and this was my first search of the forums. Though in Envato’s defense, I will say that my query for “search comments” appeared to yield pretty solid results.

952 posts
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
aleluja says

The idea is fine. It would be the most awesome feature to use a live search (like on stack overflow) for the comments. But hey, if they don’t do it you can always create your own support forum.

894 posts
+5 more
infuse01 says

While I fully agree with you on the most parts, I need to say that the most people won’t be happy having only a search box on the item comments. If the Envato Dev’s are going to do this – they will face for sure many many new complaints: Why can’t this search not be an “advanced search”? “Your search engine is so out of date!”, “How about a new item search as well?” – then some representative from envato will say: “Keep it cool – there is more yet to come in 2013”. Then people start to complaining again, arguing or even putting big expectations on it. And in the end nothing will happen, except working on other stuff like new marketplaces or such things like “community awards”. But as long as the next bundle will come everything seems to be ok ;-)

Business as usual ;-)

7372 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Ok, this was requested many times in the past as you said and unfortunately we don’t have this functionality yet.

But not everything is lost, there is a better alternative available at the moment.

Google search engine is very powerful and works perfectly in searching the comments section area.

Let’s get this item:

http://themeforest.net/item/avada-responsive-multipurpose-theme/2833226

From this page click on the number of comments in the box on the right side (now there are now 3231 ) Is out of the questions reading them one by one

So, after we click on that number we end up on this page

http://themeforest.net/item/avada-responsive-multipurpose-theme/discussion/2833226

Is important that you get on this first page of the comments not on the one who have the page = number at the end like in this example

http://themeforest.net/item/avada-responsive-multipurpose-theme/discussion/2833226?page=158

so, from the first page of comments we copy the link from the browser address bar

http://themeforest.net/item/avada-responsive-multipurpose-theme/discussion/2833226

and we open google, here is very simple we just need to follow this formula

"search term" site: the link to the first page of the item comments

example.

"social sharing box" site: http://themeforest.net/item/avada-responsive-multipurpose-theme/discussion/2833226

if you paste the above code on google you get at the moment 5 results. this works with any terms we want as long we keep this structure and we copy the right link for the comment sections. no need to wait for the envato development team to implement search on the comments area but hopefully they will do it soon.

note: for some reason if you add a space after “site:” in front of the link you get better results

by
by
by
by
by
by